Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Model of relative or yourself
procrazzy
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 359 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 06:59 AM UTC
Hi,
Have any of you thought about makeing a model of a vehicle that you or a relative used if in the military. After i finish my current project i am going to build and paint a Panzer Iv in the way that my great uncle used.

cheers

Philip
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 07:26 AM UTC
One of the trucks I drove in Vietnam This is the other truck I drove after I was wounded. It was the Bn. water truck. I named it Li'L Squirt.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 07:36 AM UTC
I've wanted to build the short wheelbase landrover I drove in the army for years, but I don't think a model is available in 1:35. Guess I'll have to use the Tamiya amulance as a base and scratch from there...

Cheers
Henk
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 09:10 AM UTC
I've built my M60A3TTS that I commanded while a platoon leader in Germany. I have plans to build a collection of all the tanks I commanded during my career in both 1/35 and 1/72 scale. Haven't gotten close to completing them yet. More of a retirement project.

I've also built the HMMWV I used while the commander of the headquarters company of the 215th Forward Support Battalion.

My one claim to fame is the exact HMMWV I used while an O/C (umpire) during REFORGER 1990 is in kit form (correct markings and all). It is an M1038 made by Revell of Germany (reboxed Italeri kit). Yes, I have the kit too.
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 09:38 AM UTC
Love to see some photos of the 1038 if you have some Rob.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 10:58 AM UTC
My model would have to be of a pair of boots as it was one of my main modes of transportation. LOL Actually I've tried to find a USMC Mule I ordered one but it was OOS so maybe one day I'll find it. We use to use those in Lebanon on patrol of the streets and alley's I plan on building all the equipment we used, as Lebanon is becoming forgotten and to many men died one day to let that happen.

Semper Fi
Dave.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 02:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually I've tried to find a USMC Mule I ordered one but it was OOS so maybe one day I'll find it. We use to use those in Lebanon on patrol of the streets and alley's ....

DML does two of them. Both the same kit but one comes with the recoilless rifle and the other doesn't. Great little kit, Eduard also does a PE set to dress it up as well. Highly recommended.
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 489 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 05:45 PM UTC
I want to do a model of my M1 from 2nd ACR, 1985 era. One of these days I'll get around to it. I would also like to do my 3rd ACR M1A1. Most importantly, I want to do my Great Uncles B24 from WW II. I haven't had much luck getting any info from his children about it, not to mention photos. I don't even know which variant he was on, only that it came from Willow Run.
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 07:43 PM UTC
I built a model of one of the mortars I used and instructed "Joe Trainee" on...does that count?
procrazzy
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 359 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 11:11 PM UTC
Yes

I was just wondering if any of you guys did a model of either something you or a relitive drove.
Anyone have any WW2 vets as relies. As i allready said, in the near future i am going to build my great-uncle's Panzer IV.
Rudolf von Ribbentrop
Pz no 605
Kharkov
Feb-Mar 1943
1st SS Panzer Div.

cheers

Philip
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 01:43 AM UTC
Not quite the same thing, but Heller makes/made a ship named after a distant ancestor who was supposedly a pretty fair naval strategist.
I'm no ship guy, but I wander down the ship aisle of bigger hobby shops looking for the Duguay kit.

Too bad I can't command a bathtub, much less a naval flotilla. Heck, I have trouble with my own navel... :-)
clausen
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
entire network: 449 Posts
KitMaker Network: 223 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2004 - 02:46 AM UTC
I've buildt the M109A3 SPG I commanded some years ago...
And I'm going to build one more in the nearest future!

I'm also planning to build the Centurion my father drove when he was in the army!

Bjoern
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 08:16 AM UTC
Stuff from former units or family has always been one of the main things determining what kits I like to do. Almost all the kits I've done in my gallery are from unit's I've been assigned to, or been around. I'm working on one now, and have at least 6 more in boxes. I've promised to do the two subs my son served on, and my wife's cousin has got to be wondering where the models of his F/A-18s that he flew in Gulf War 1and on his second deployment are.

Tom
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 833 Posts
KitMaker Network: 216 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 08:43 AM UTC
I have plans for my Uncle's B-24. He was a gunner with the 15th AF, 456BG(H). I have pics of the plane and the base in Stonara, so recreating it should be no problem.
lavgnr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 338 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 01:40 PM UTC
For the Canadian build going on right now, I've got plans to build the 2 1/2 ton mobile repair truck (MLVW MRT) that I drove at my last unit. I'm also going to build my Logistics O's Iltis which is not mine but I've had it up on jacks a fair amount!

-Edit_ Five months later, both are still in my "to do" pile! Yay productivity!
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 501 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 02:16 PM UTC
I've been tinkering on my M113 TUA that I drove in Kosovo. If I could find a Styer Percheron (HLVW) I could do a model of one of the truck I have in my heavy lift section.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 02:41 PM UTC
Hey Monte,My father was on a B-24 in Giulia,459th BG
I built a model of that,and I have done ones of the M-60 and M-60A2which I was on in Germany.
smithery
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 12:09 PM UTC
Most definitely. One of my first armour projects will be to build my grandfather's tank.

He served with the Three Rivers Regiment and was at the Sicily Landing, serving as Sergeant of the tank, a Sherman V. He was injured only 10 days after arrival, courtesy of a pair of well placed grenades. He was the only survivor from his particular tank.

Once the project is completed, it will take it's place in front of an actual photograph of the entire TRR prior to their deployment to Italy. My grandfather's regimental pin will also be part of the display.

fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 2,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 11:24 PM UTC
I did a conversion of a Phil Walden figure "Crpl Arlow" to my great grand father who was 34 when he died at Frommells during the beginning of the Somme campaign while serving with the 59th Battn- unfortunately it happened to be the Battle where Australia had its worst casuallties in a day and my great granddad was in one of the worst hit units -poor guy did not stand a chance -also had 5 kids at home My grandad the eldest had to go to work for family
Based him as he is passing thru a communication trench on way to front with a cast replica of his dogtag on the front
Ian
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 11:34 AM UTC
Yep, I'd love to build the wagons I used to drive but...

I paid £40 for a Ferret armoured car. Lovely kit but... £40?

I would love a plastic FV 432, there are still THOUSANDS of them out there! How can a manufacturer ignore the FV 432, (apart from Accurate Armour, and they cost a fortune). As I've said before, its bl**dy hard to go to a British Army base and not find a 432 lurking in some corner. They're soddin' everywhere!

Kit list?

FV 432... $%^£&^% PUHLEEAAASSE!

Spartan

Land Rover: Oh, take yer pick, there are hundreds of variants.

Bedford 4 tonner: Like the 432 it's hard to imagine a British Army scene from the last 30 odd years without a 4 tonnie within reaching/crawling/retching distance. Ah my beloved! Safety... "End-ex"! Get me to **** out of here!

Humber "Pig"

FV423

Saxon

Saladin

Saracen

FV423

Ferret

Fox,

Wot? Virtually no Centurions!!! Yer taking the p*ss!

FV432

Abbot SPG

Rapier, Mounted and towed

The lovely Stalwart... Looked like something from the forward looking programme "Space 1999" back in those days. How many variants has the Stally got?

FV432

Milan

Chieftain... Variants...

Blowpipe

Some decent GPMGs'

Some decent SLRs'

Oh, did I mention the famous FV432?

95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 12:03 PM UTC
I'm wokring on a swift boat that my father in law crewed in Vietnam and I'm working on an MP Jeep that I drove once and awhile at Ft.Polk and patroling North Fort. (the rest of the time we had K-Cars or as in the case of Germnay, VW vans.)

Steve
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 01:28 PM UTC
I built a model of the howitzer my grandfather commanded in Vietnam. "Belligerent Banshee" hehe what an awesome name :-)
LemonJello
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 177 Posts
KitMaker Network: 44 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 01:36 AM UTC
Well, for most of my time in service, I'd have to go with a pair of jungle boots, as we seemed to walk everywhere! But, if I could find it, I'd love to build a 1/35 Zodiac with the twin outboards like we used in boat company with the 24MEU. Then I'd pile about ten Marines into it for a raid dio.

Oh, I'd also like to find one of the Dragoons we used at Kings Bay, GA (It's alot like a V-100 Commando, if memory serves) and build that, as we spent a lot of time in those.

I do have a M997 that will be converted into my Data Van, with a full scratch interior with all our widgets and positronic electric brains installed. Hey, maybe I'll figure out a way to get all the little lights to glow, too!
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
entire network: 1,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 - 03:09 AM UTC
I'm currently working on one of my units Tanks. To day I finally got hold of Tamiyas M-557, wich I will convert into my own Vehicle, a norwegian NM-198 (An armoured Playstation)
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,523 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 06:51 PM UTC
I have plans to build the plane I fly on a MC-130P, but my skill level isnt quite there. I have all of the stuff, IE long engines, IFR pods, Photoetch, noce hump all the goodies. I also want to build an Airplane that my Grandfather crewed during WWII. He was at on of the bases Near Pearl on the 7th. Unfortunatly he died before I was born, and no one knows what he crewed. I am still trying to find out though.

Herky