_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Stopped working on a kit?....why?
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 842 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 11:02 AM UTC
I can't be the only one out there that has every great intention when starting a kit, but for one reason or another, end up putting it aside and never going back to it. Perhaps one day I will. But for whatever reason I stop working on a particular build. Scatter-brained?, perhaps, ADHD? might be... was my first grade teacher (Mrs. Little at the Fledgling Hanger on Maxwell AFB) right? When she wrote on my report card... "Kevin has a hard time completing his tasks"?

How bout the rest of you? any good stories to pass along?
phoenix-1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 629 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 11:16 AM UTC
Still in the process of "finishing" my Tammy 1:350 Nimitz. Something about it just makes my skin tingle with fear whenever the kit is mentioned. And that was two years ago.
Kyle
ave
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
entire network: 417 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 12:05 PM UTC
I have about 4-5 models that are more or less finished, but somehow I never got around to adding gear,decals, or full finishing the paintjob. Maybe someday i will
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 12:34 PM UTC
Same here...... i have a small mountain of Started kits.......

I'm really thinking it's Adult Attention Deficit Disorder...

I'm gonaa have to force myself ....somehow to finish some of these kits........
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 12:51 PM UTC
Let's see...

There's the Academy 1/48 F-14A Tomcat which I had wired up to have lights, prepping it for a super-detailed canopy, re-positioned flaps, etc. etc. ---- Never finished, now a source for spare parts

There's the Monogram 1/48 F-117 which I opened up the weapons bay and scratchbuilding the bay ----- Never finished, now gathering dust with lots of missing/broken parts

There's the Academy 1/48 Su-27 Flanker C which I was building as a model in-flight to be mounted on some clear shaft over a simulated cloud base ----- Never finished, now gathering dust

There's the Revell Titanic which I initially built with much gusto ---- Never finished, no 'gusto' to finish it, lots of broken/missing parts now

There's the Twilight 2000 campaign models ----- Not YET finished (I refuse to say 'never' :-) ) because my imagination is just too tired now

There's the Dragon 1/144 F-14B Tomcat which I was to converto to an F-14D ------ Never finished, where the hell is it?

There's the 1/700 ship models ---- Not YET finished (not saying 'never' :-) ). Just waiting for more references and paint

Latest victim is the AFV Club MaK Mk20 Weisel. It's built and ready for paint but not yet painted.

Main reason why I build and build kits without finishing is that for me, building is the best part (probably because of my childhood LEGO days), while painting is always a chore for me. Second reason is AMS - even if I intend to build a kit OOTB, I almost always end up trying to research more about the kit and detailing it. If there's "Adult Attention Deficit Disorder" as posted before, then I've got a severe case of AMS-induced obsessive-compulsive disorder. :-)
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 01:01 PM UTC
HAHA!

iam pretty sure i know what your problem is... you have to many models in stock... least thats why i have models i have to finish sometimes and it drives my moms nuts.

since i usualy run low on work i do end up finishing these kits

Frank
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 01:21 PM UTC
i have plenty of partially build kits on the shelve. I have Tamita 1/350 Enterprise too..the reason i stop build it was to figure out where to put the ship when it's complete. This is a BIG kit and during transport when i move house, a few part broke, missing and dissambled. 3 years now and still sitting in the box.
Other reasons were too bad fitting, i become fed-up and throw them back in the box. Missing part was also a head ache and i stop doing it until replacement arrived. Basically, i categorised the reason to a few such as:
1. lack of space/still figuring out where to display the kit
2. missing parts
3. bad kit
4. searching for materials(to superdetail or to make the kit accurate)
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 902 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 03:57 PM UTC
I have a few that I have shelved for one reason or another. I have gone back and reclaimed one of them after a year off. Usually a kit gets shelved do to major fit issues.

Toga's SU 57 (still on the shelf) Fit and directions drove me nuts. I hate exploded diagrams with no part numbers. I may try it again one day.

Italierie's Leopard 2 3A (Got it done after a year off)

RPM's Minerammer (sitting on the shelf waiting for a turret donor) The turret on this was horrific and would have required major reconstruction. as the body aready took quite a bit itself. I will get back to this in time as well I love the look of the Vehicle

Heller's LeClerc (Half done) I ran out pf patients and putty on this one. This one may hit the scrap heap PE and all.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 04:36 PM UTC
Not counting my work locker, where I have several under way, the at home is basicly in pretty good shape
1. Up-Front underway, Jeep about 50%... just started converting the figures
2.Ardennes underway, basicly out of the box, the challenge is doing the German uniform camo. (never did it before)
3. M-47 sitting there the last 7 or 8 months in a 75% state of assembly.
4.Ha-Go, sitting there in about a 25% state of assembley.
5. Model T painted, partly weathered.
I think the Ha-Go and M-47 are on hold because they don't fit into any of the campaigns I'm in.

Oh, I do have AADD, and honestly think it is a reason why I bounce around subjects so much, and lose interest so easy.
Oh forgot the BEEP.... just about done with that...... LOL
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 05:12 PM UTC
Except for the Tiger I in my other post where it took me about 6 months to put on the Fruil tracks I don't ever move to another kit until I finish the current one. There may be times I will switch back and forth between tank and figures but that really doesn't count because they are for the same project even though not the same kit.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 05:39 PM UTC
1/24 (or is 1/32? can't quite remeber) Airfix Spitfire Mk I - lost interest after assembling the engine and aircraft interest dwindled.
1/24 Tamiya Karmen Ghia - lost interest after having issues with my spray gun.
Wooden ship kit of Captain Kidd's brigand (?) - planking, 'nuff sed! :-) Missus is pushing me to start this one up again, will do so when in new house.
Most recently Stadden's Blues & Royal trooper on parade - helluva lot of flash, kinda puts one off when spend almost 2 months just cleaning the doggarn thing.

Am sure there have been more, but I've only had one cup o'Java and the ol' gray matter isn't working yet... :-) :-)

mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 05:42 PM UTC
I have many started and before i finnish those i know i'll start a few more. I just give myself a break in between kits, just to keep fresh.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 06:06 PM UTC
Whoooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....

Do you include as a kit figure kits in which all figs are finished except for one lacking a canteen or painted buttons, then I have scores that are unfinished

Otherwise, I have about a dozen unfinished ranging in stages from 90% unbuilt, to my Ki-61 that lacks only the seat, painted canopy, and exhaust stains.

I discontinue models because I loose the building inertia due to people bothering me with crap that devours my time. I think I am mildly AADD, and a couple of weeks of inactivity makes me want to move on to another kit.

Then I get tired fiddley parts.

Mainly I put them aside because of a problem that need to be overcome. Frustration chews up interest. F'instance, I am building a 1/100 (yup, tinier than 1/72!) biplane. It is fin except for decals. The decals are terrible. Where in the world does one get 1/100 decals???? So it has set in a box for over a year awaiting me to get off my butt and adapt, improvise and overcome.

Someday......
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 10:06 PM UTC
Well the only kit that i intentionally stopped from finishing, actually i stopped it at 15% was a very nice 90 mm resin Figure from MIG production of Highlander Culloden. Unbelievably good figure , maybe the best one i have had so far. But after priming and starting the first colours, i was looking at it , and the highlander looked me saying , " u think u re ready to paint me ? "
well obviously the answer was "no" so i stopped. Some inner voice told me that if i try sometime later i ll have a better result . so i stopped, and for the first time in my life i think o f stripping and repainting the figure .
Thats my lil story

Costas
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 10:24 PM UTC
Are you actually supposed to finish them?, I never knew :-)

Since my favourite part is assembly, very few of my models get as far as painting. Specially since my girlfriend's idea of what I should be painting includes walls and 8" brushes.

I can always find lots of excuses for stopping before finishing, usually because my butterfly brain has moved onto something else. Or because I need one more reference book, or the new reference shows the bit I've already built is wrong.

Models can spend years in their boxes waiting to be finshed. Can sort of construct a time-line for when they were started depending on the filler used. I'm sure my Tamiya Leopard sat in its box for at least a decade half-built. But I did finish it eventually.
golf
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 18 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 10:34 PM UTC
I usually have about half a dozen kits on the go at any one time so it can take months from start to finish of any particular kit. It stops boredom setting in and gives time for frustration with seemingly insurmountable problems to abate and solutions to be realised.

My record is a Matchbox Swordfish which I started in the early 1970's...and finally rigged last year. 30 years; not bad eh?

Bill Brignal
clausen
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
entire network: 449 Posts
KitMaker Network: 223 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 11:09 PM UTC
I know what you’re talking about! I too have several unfinished kits lying around!

Some of them will never be built - But I'm sure some of them will... "I have a dream...":)

One of my friends noticed my stash of unfinished and inbuilt some years ago... He asked my why kept all those empty boxes... He thought I was crazy, when I told him those boxes wasn't empty!!!

Bjoern
Cvrle
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 104 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 07:14 AM UTC
Oh yeah...
The kits that get completely discarded are exclusively due to bad fit or painting mistakes (I don't seem to have the neessary patience for paint stripping)

However, I also have a build time per kit of about 4 years... I get them to the painting stage, and then it's a chore setting up the compressor, the airbrush, then the cleaning afterwards...
But it's only connected with painting... I can hold two parts together for 20 minutes so they cure correctly :-)

Cheers!
Tvrtko
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 07:23 AM UTC
The prep for painting is what stops me!. Once I get over that them I complete the model. But, getting over that hump might takes months!. I enjoy the building much more than the painting. But, I actually enjoy the covering the 3D canvas once I get there.
capnjock
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 513 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 07:24 AM UTC
Oh yes.... the Modelcraft Challenger 1 It was a rubbish kit Crappy by anyones standard Nothing fits especially on the turret. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it

cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 492 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 02:03 PM UTC
So far I have one unfinished diorama. I try my best to keep it at that number by not buying any more kits until something gets finished & by really giving it a lot of thinking before starting a build.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 02:14 PM UTC
I don't so much STOP building,as DELAy finishing.I can be in the middle of a kit,just building without having a campaign in mind.Then a Campaign will start that I have joined,or want to join,and the first kit gets delayed.

Umm,Major Goose,

Quoted Text

But after priming and starting the first colours, i was looking at it , and the highlander looked me saying , " u think u re ready to paint me ? "
well obviously the answer was "no" so i stopped. Some inner voice told me that

I hear those voices too,and I do as the majority of them tell me...
(++) (++)
Valkyrie
Visit this Community
Alur Setar, Malaysia
entire network: 143 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 02:17 PM UTC
I have currently stopped working (temporarily of course) on my Tamiya 1/350 KGV. Not because of any defects in the kit but because of the amount of PE involved...pretty tiring on my eyes...back to 1/35 and 1/48 stuff for now!
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 275 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 07:59 PM UTC
Here's mine:

1. Italeri 1/48th U2 - I bought it just for the heack of it. Wasn't able to finish it and is gathering dust.

2. Tamiya 1/48th Royal Sea Harrier - stopped after I glued the fuselage halves together. Want to superdetail it but I don't have the resources. Will work on it in the future.

3. Academy 1/48th SU27 Flanker - given as a gift by my ex-boyfriend. Haven't opened the box. However, this will one of my entries in GIBeregovoy's Red Army campaign.

4. Tamiya 1/35th mid production Tiger - waiting for a suitable diorama.

5. Italeri 1/48th Tornado - lost the instruction sheets

6. Tamiya 1/35th halftrack - partially assembled. I'll be converting it into that flame thrower version.

7. Bandai 1/72 Super Valkyrie - lacks paint on the boosters. That's the ONLY thing that is lacking. I wonder why I'm not doing this.

8. my 1/35th winter dio - in the process of putting together accessories. Also I lost 3 figs. Need to build 3 figs to replace them. I will finish this. Promise!

Angela
 _GOTOTOP