TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Van Helsing
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 09:14 AM UTC
My son brought home a rental of the movie " Van Helsing " last night...Whoa...If you didn't get a chance to see this flick at the theaters in the summer, definately check it out...Awesome computer animation...pretty cool story too.

Gunny
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 06:38 PM UTC
I saw it in the cinema. I liked very much.
I think the ending is a bit to sweet though.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 11:21 AM UTC
Nice to her something positive. I saw all the previews when it came out and figured on renting it. My friend saw it and when I asked he just said ehhhhh. Meaning Not good ot bad.
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 11:56 AM UTC
My wife and I both really liked Van Helsing. Good action movie with outstanding visuals and special effects and a little humor thrown in. I'm personally a sucker for action movies in general, but really dig them when they tie in all kinds of other references.

Did anyone else pick up on the friar/comic sidekick - he also played Faramir in LOTR.

Another movie that got panned, yet is in a similar vein in its use of literary figures is League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. That's another fun popcorn muncher in my book...
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 04:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Did anyone else pick up on the friar/comic sidekick - he also played Faramir in LOTR.

Yup!!

VH was an awsome film. One of my first impressions, right from the beginning, was that I need to get my hands on one of those crossbows
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 05:50 AM UTC
Yeah, I enjoyed it as well.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 09:14 AM UTC
Rented it the other night. Good effects and parody on the "James Bond" lab creating all the goodies. The ending was a bit over the top with all the dead rising to heaven. A "better" story line might have had the girl and VH go into the monster fighting business a la MIB 1.

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 02:01 AM UTC
I got tired of this movie by the end. Fortunately, I only rented it and didn't see it in the theaters. I did enjoy looking at the brides of Dracula, though. The lead woman's outfit, as hot as it was, just didn't fit into the period of the movie. The crossbow device was a problem to me. Why was there a bow andstring when neither was ever used to propel the arrows? The movie also breaks tradition on the werewolf transformations. One of the conventions that make the werewolf a sympathetic character is the pain he goes through during transmorgrification. This peaked in American Werewolf in London. You felt the apinn that guy was suffering as his body chmaged. In VH he transforms and so what? I'm also pretty tired of human bodies falling hundreds of feet or being thrown against stione walls at 80 miles and hour and having nothing get broken, especially when the character is not supposed to be a "superhero".
Boy, am I ranting this morning or what! :-)
earwig61
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 188 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 02:39 PM UTC
At the start, I was impressed, especially with bad butt Mr. Hyde. However, the pace never let up, too many bells and whistles, tiresome for me overall.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2004 - 02:00 PM UTC
For me it was fun, enjoyment and entertaining. After all isn't that why we watch them anyway?
3 out of 4 beers.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 03:03 AM UTC
Van Helsing shocked me when I rented it, I thought it would kinda suck and I was as surprised with it as I was surprised by King Arthur. Both were enjoyable movies, I recommend them as rentals for sure.

Aside from the great CGI in VH, it has Kate Beckinsale and I just love her... lol
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 10:47 AM UTC
I finally saw it last weekend and have to admit was quite entertained by it...definitely worth a rental or as I did a used copy purchase on E-bay