History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Did You Vote?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 01:31 AM UTC
Today marks another important day for our Nation. It is predicted to be a banner year for turn out. Let's hear about how long it took you to vote and your thoughts on the future of the Country.
thanks
DJ
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 01:38 AM UTC
Yes indeedy. I was in line when the polls opened here at 6 a.m. Was the third person to vote. As far as the future of the country is concerned I get back with you when the results are in. Hopefully, that will be sometime before Christmas...

Shaun
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 02:11 AM UTC
Shaun-- I have to request the Almighty allow one of the candidates to win decisively so we can get on with the governing process devoid of lawyers and court cases.
DJ
Cob
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 275 Posts
KitMaker Network: 95 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 04:40 AM UTC
I voted absentee. Today is my oldest son's 18th birthday. I had the pleasure of watching him fill out his absentee ballot at our kitchen table. To my surprise and pleasure, he had actually studied the issues and made an informed choice. I too am hopeful that the people, not the lawyers, will determine the outcome of this election.

v/r,
Cob
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 04:52 AM UTC
Well, we are having a beautiful day in Northern Virginia. I waited thirty minutes at our polling place. I was voter number 586. This is a wonderful thing to see, people involved. I vote in every election and rarely see more than a hundred people cast their ballot all day. This is truly an involved public and a sure sign of a strong democracy regardless of who wins. We will beat terrorism with tthis kind of aroused population.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 04:59 AM UTC
It's a magnificent morning here in California. Sunny, no clouds in the sky, brisk and crisp. I gave my crews the day off to get out there and vote. I even woke one of them up to do so!

Campbell is a small town (38,000 residents) so our polling place is probably lightly attended as compared to bigger cities. There were 20 people there when I signed in. Out of the 20, three chose the paper vote option. The rest of us used the computer touch screen. This was pretty easy and took perhaps 6 minutes to go through and check your votes at the end.

I feel much better casting my vote - and I have grave concerns about the direction the country could take in January. At least I participated in the process. Standing on the sidelines and throwing stones just isn't going to cut it anymore...

Gunnie
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,086 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 05:12 AM UTC
Just got home from voting and for a "bedroom community" we had quite the turn out for once, the polling place has been a 'zoo' since it opened. I'm glad to see that people are exercising one of our most important freedoms -- picking our leaders. This is my first election since I got home from Iraq, and let me tell you it felt pretty darn good to cast my ballot.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 05:12 AM UTC
Jim-- many thanks as always for contributing. Let's hear from some folks in Texas and Ohio....how is it going?
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 05:18 AM UTC
I'm planning on it once i get home..... That damn hour drive doesn't help any......
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 05:53 AM UTC
I am on the phone and going around the office urging others to cast their vote. regardless of how it turns out, do not let any eligible voter stand on the sidelines. This too important a decision to not be a part of....
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 06:14 AM UTC
I voted absentee on October 18. Glad I don't have to rush anywhere to get that finished...
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 06:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I voted absentee on October 18. Glad I don't have to rush anywhere to get that finished...

I assume you voted because you were motivated and know that your vote just might decide the contest. Well done!
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 06:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have to request the Almighty allow one of the candidates to win decisively so we can get on with the governing process devoid of lawyers and court cases.

Amen.

I live in a fairly small city, approx 70,000, and was at the polls at 6:50am, (they opened at 7:00) -- approximately 50 people lined up ahead of me, and by the time the polls opened at 7:00, there were another 50 voters behind me, and the small parking lot for voters looked like the Indy speedway. I've never seen this type of turn out in my life, with all ages present, from young, to not so young. While waiting in line, conversations were subued, ---- a very serious, determined feeling in the air.

May our country unite behind those elected for the good of all.

Steve

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 07:16 AM UTC
Steve-- well said, it is guys like you who make me proud to be an American.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 08:18 AM UTC
I voted over my lunch hour and was in and out in a few minutes. Voter No. 206 in my precinct. The ladies at the poll said the voters had been steady all morning and no one had to wait more than a few minutes to get into the booth.

All 10 folks in my office voted this year, including the three Soldiers, who all sent in absentee ballots to their home districts. After 2000, I think everyone has a greater understanding of the importance of a single vote.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 08:38 AM UTC
Well, I trust/pray that by late tonight or tomorrow morning, we shall know who our president will be in January. I also know that after we cast the partisan vote, we return to being Americans and fully support the President as he either continues or assumes the office.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 09:13 AM UTC
Howdy fellas, DJ,

Your thread gave me the opportunity to take a sec and do some mental math......I'veactively voted in 8 (eight) previous Presidential elections, this one will be my 9 (ninth).
I am (even in my 'Hippie' days), and have always been, a believer in one underlying premise. One that our good Gunnie paraphrased earlier in this thread....
"...Standing on the sidelines and throwing stones just isn't going to cut it anymore..."

Even in times when the choices were found.... 'wanting', I still felt that the voices of the people who populate this country needed to be heard. So Yes!, I cast my vote....just like I've been doing for over 30 years.......

But, as I walked away from the Polling Place this morning I again felt myself thinking the very...same...thoughts I've carried (now) all nine times.
"PLEASE, let this one simply do what he says........"

May good fortune watch over our Troops.

Tread.
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 547 Posts
KitMaker Network: 268 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 09:14 AM UTC
I voted with my sister this morning before I hopped a train to school. It was a steady stream of people but I didn't have to wait more than a minute. I'm happy to see such a turn out.

Sean
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 09:42 AM UTC
Well, since I'm sixteen, I can't vote. BUT! I did wake up at 5:00 am this morning, and went to go help at the voting booths. It was cold, raining, and you would not believe it, but there were people who were there to vote before I got there, I got there at 5:30! 5:30! There was a HUGE line, and I'm glad I didn't have to vote. I just had to set up lighting, put up some posters, and work with parking. I must say, I can't wait for the next elections, because then I won't have to do any of this! Of course, the fact that I got out of school legally wasn't bad. Thanks for your time.
phoenix-1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 629 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 10:13 AM UTC
Well, I just turned 18 this past summer and I am proud to say that I voted at my first opportunity to do so. I was voter 249 and waited in line for about 20 minutes. Luckily, the lines didn't extend too far as it was a rainy, crappy morning here in Milwaukee. It was amazing though how much the "get out the vote" campaigns from both candidates worked. At school, there were students carrying around signs, putting up banners, passing out pamphlets... It was an absolute marvel to see what the electoral system should look like every four years.
Kyle
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 10:37 AM UTC
Hi, Voted on some local issues and that was it. Neither presidential candidate deserves my time, much less my vote. And I will leave it at that.

Take care, Sgirty
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 10:57 AM UTC
Polls close here in 5 minutes. Then it is out to the new sun room to work on the M1 Thunder Runner model and watch the returns. As I said way earlier, I have a bad feeling about this election.

Shaun
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 1,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 11:33 AM UTC
My wife and I reside in Ohio but voted by absentee ballot in New Mexico. From one 'swing' state to another.

Most everyone here models subjects straight out of history. Voting is one way of being part of, and making, that history.

30 years from now when we are working on our 1/8th scale M1A8, or 1/24th F-27, we will be able to sit back and wonder if the conflict the real subject of these kits fought in was brought about by the candidate whom we did/did not cast a ballot for.

Shaping the future--Now that's power!

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 08:53 AM UTC
Well, as always, I appreciate you fellows participating in the discussion. The election is now history and if someone out there wants to discuss it further (exit polls are now controversial issue) just frame it in a neutral manner and keep the blows above the belt.
thanks again
God Bless Our Country.
DJ
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 04:05 PM UTC
Well, I think I had the longest wait in line thus far...just short of 2 hours. The election was held at a local school. It was 3/4 of the way around the outside of the school, all the way through the inside (the building has a square main hall), and a snake line through the cafe. My father went in the morning and waited about 40min, but I didn't get quite so lucky.