_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
What type military vehicles do you build ?
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 1,969 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 02:57 PM UTC
Or better yet, do you build Armor, Aircraft, Soft skins, or Warships ? I asked myself this question the other day. And after realy thinking about it for quite awhile, I have to say that I like to build them all!
Anything that I can bring to life from the WW-2 period, that is where my interest lies. Oh, I do get bogged down with one type for a short period of time. But I am constantly switching back and forth from one type to the other. I was'nt always like that, when I first started out it was warships only. But every time I try somthing different I am hooked all over again!
And one thing I found out about Building in all area's, I am always learning new techniques I can use on other types of models! What a great hobby this is!

So, I ask you, what type(s) models do you build and like the most ?

Best regards mates!

Garry
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 03:02 PM UTC
i've got a softspot for softskins in my heart, but i'm just starting to really get into the armor scene. back "in the day" haha (i'm only 16!) i used to build the revell 1/48 aircraft kits, i loved them, still do! but now i'm up in the big dog stuff, armor etc....i did build 1 ship, the Yamoto, its supposed to motorized, but i was like 12 when i built it, so i just glued it allup, then did a rough paintjob!, i'm not gonna touch it up just because i like to see how my stuff has been progressing.
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 03:16 PM UTC
I find myself building whatever tickles my fancy, so to speak. I just went through a WWII US Aircraft phase and still yearn to do a couple more, but decided to change gears to some helicopters. Beckoning me from my stash are Tamiya's PBR, Revell's B-24D, and a couple of Italeri modern US vehicles.

So, I guess I like to build a little of everything. I personally like diversity and building my skills and attempting the challenges offered by each genre.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 04:54 PM UTC
HMMMMM I will have to think about that one Garry :-)
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 04:56 PM UTC
I mostly build American avf and aircraft. Vietnam to the present day. Lately i've been scratch building most of my things. As for what i like to build the most, M113 and the huey helicopter.
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 984 Posts
KitMaker Network: 65 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 04:57 PM UTC
I mostly build Geramn armor.
But i have been bitten by the figure bug.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 05:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok Mr. Trucks are us! Very funny !
We all know you have your wheels in a rut, and we love it!

Cheers Cliff!

Garry
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 09:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ok Mr. Trucks are us! Very funny !
We all know you have your wheels in a rut, and we love it!

Cheers Cliff!

Garry

Me too
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 10:01 PM UTC
I build almost anything. Cars(non military), tanks, figures(120 mm) just bought my first guntruck and my first anti tank gun.
Would like to do a sub one day
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
entire network: 1,217 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 10:13 PM UTC
well i build all related to WWII and after periods, but 80% of that are armor vehicles and figures (mostly on vignettes/dioramas)
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 4,808 Posts
KitMaker Network: 360 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 10:36 PM UTC
I build WW2 german tanks.
I don't like ships and planes becouse you can see it everyday.. and tanks, you don't see it everyday.
especailly ww2 tanks.

grtz hilbert
VoodooChild
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 74 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 10:57 PM UTC
I'll build anything that l think looks cool. This usually means 1/35 modern vehicles and helicopters, but I have been known to branch out - my biggest (and most expensive) is the Tamiya 1/14 RC Globe Liner with flatbed trailer, while my next will probably be the Tamiya 1/24 Subaru Impreza WRC2002 (neither of these military of course).
I'm currently working on a the DML Scud, with the Tamiya Leo 2A5, Trumpeter Faun and Dragon T-80 waiting to be painted and finished when my painting mojo returns. I also have an on-again-off-again long term project to scratchbuild a M989 trailer for my HEMTT (you can see pictures of this in my gallery).

Cheers
Ed
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 11:20 PM UTC
Mostly WW2 related vehicle and figures. I like the dio aspect so theres a lot to cover in this alone. I have done and will do the occasional modern vehicle that looks cool. At the moment I have the Israeli M113 fitter and 2 M88s on the workbench (well in a drawer actually). Overall the strongest attraction at the moment is figure painting.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 11:51 PM UTC
WWII and anything that goes in a diorama, softskin, MBTs, figures,....

Komet
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 82 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 12:04 AM UTC
Hi,
I am busy with a hanomag (africa korps) right now. I is very easy to assemble and looks great when built. I prefere to build things from Kettenrads to Armourd vehicles. I hope that helps...

Komet
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 492 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 01:25 AM UTC
I do mostly modern U.S. armor & softskins.
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
entire network: 3,040 Posts
KitMaker Network: 251 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 01:39 AM UTC
These days I build mainly Sovjet Armour. I have build the: T-34/76, T34/85, T55, T62 and you can guess what I will build next

phoenix-1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 629 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 01:50 AM UTC
I have always built modern stuff ranging from aircraft to armor to WRC cars.
Kyle
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 03:56 AM UTC
Some say I like trucks. I like the unusual in recovery vehicles. I have built just about everything but I do have a big spot saved for soft skins.
Hiram_Sedai
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 201 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 04:19 AM UTC
Considering the fact that I have very poor memory retention and unusually pitiful modeling skills as evidenced by my pictures in my gallery, I build tanks often. I have put together a couple of WWII planes but did a poor job of them.

I won't do cars and usual non-war vehicles because they just don't interest me. I would like to try a diorama, but know that my efforts will only result in derision and verbal castigation by my betters.

I had shifted my aspirations mid year after conversing with LogansDad. Before, I only tried to be mediocre and apathetic. Trying to be apathetic. Oh, the irony. He convinced me that even though my finished products may look like an autistic kindergartener's attempt, I can gain some satisfaction with the knowledge that someone, somewhere does a worse job than me. Granted, we haven't met him or her yet and they certainly do not post on this board, but that hapless individual does exist somewhere.

What was the question again?
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Considering the fact that I have very poor memory retention and unusually pitiful modeling skills as evidenced by my pictures in my gallery, I build tanks often. I have put together a couple of WWII planes but did a poor job of them.

I won't do cars and usual non-war vehicles because they just don't interest me. I would like to try a diorama, but know that my efforts will only result in derision and verbal castigation by my betters.

I had shifted my aspirations mid year after conversing with LogansDad. Before, I only tried to be mediocre and apathetic. Trying to be apathetic. Oh, the irony. He convinced me that even though my finished products may look like an autistic kindergartener's attempt, I can gain some satisfaction with the knowledge that someone, somewhere does a worse job than me. Granted, we haven't met him or her yet and they certainly do not post on this board, but that hapless individual does exist somewhere.

What was the question again?

Mike, you are way to modist! I just took a look at your gallery and you build some awesome models! And I can tell by the looks of them that you had fun building them. And hey, thats where its at anyway!

Cheers buddy!

Garry
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 05:30 AM UTC
What sort of models do I build TERRIBLE ONES, no anything military that takes my fancy. :-)
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,185 Posts
KitMaker Network: 224 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 05:39 AM UTC
Garybeebe

Since recent return to modeling, my focus has been on German WW II AFVs. But since they say "variety is the spice of life", I used to (and most likely will again) mix in a few 1/48th WW II fighters, some 1/700 "waterline" warships (and hopefully as time allows, a 1/350th Tirpitz), and an occasional Sci-fi. Though like Slodder, I love anything that works in a Diorama so have to have plenty of figures. Ahhh, variety!

Blade48mrd
earwig61
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 188 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 05:49 AM UTC
Mostly WWII and post WWII, but pre-nam. Anything goes with country from this era, but I lean away from the German stuff. I'm becoming more interested in WWII Japanese and Russian vehicles. I also take a second look at any older kit 1/72 or smaller right now.
IanSadler
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 324 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 06:15 AM UTC
Hi All, I build odd ball military vehicle , ones that most will not touch as they take a great deal of research and are mainly ARV in tanks from 1st WW up to late WW2 , GS trucks again the odder the better but all have to have actualy been used incombat . My latest two are both based on the RPM 1/35 Model T Ford , A US Army MODEL T Ford Fitters vehicle to our US readers that is mechanics vehicle and an Australian Model T Ford Ambulance . The next to be built is Renault FT 17 ARV used the Russians in 1920 in a repaire factory , cheers ian
 _GOTOTOP