Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Football question for our European members
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 05:55 AM UTC
This question is actually for all the fans who follow European football (aka soccer) but especially British Premier League. Could someone tell me what exactly happened between Van Nistelrooy and Cole? I hear that Van Nistelrooy got a three game suspension for a nasty foul but I have no details.

Cheers
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 06:58 AM UTC
Marty,

I don't have any details but go here to find out more. It is currently the lead story.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 07:03 AM UTC
This is from Sky sports today:

Ruud van Nistelrooy has accepted a charge of serious foul play following his challenge on Ashley Cole during Manchester United's victory over Arsenal.

The Dutch marksman caught Cole on the knee with a nasty-looking tackle during United's stormy 2-0 success at Old Trafford on Sunday.

Referee Mike Riley took no action during the game but The Football Association charged van Nistelrooy with misconduct on Monday after reviewing video evidence.

Van Nistelrooy had until Tuesday to plead guilty or protest his innocence but he has now decided to accept his punishment.

An FA panel will meet on Thursday to discuss the incident but van Nistelrooy is expecting to be served with a three-match suspension.

"Ruud van Nistelrooy has decided to accept The FA's charge of misconduct relating to the incident with Ashley Cole," said a Manchester United statement.

"Ruud has accepted the automatic penalty of a three-match suspension and Manchester United fully supports Ruud's decision."

The striker, who scored a disputed penalty in Sunday's success, remains adamant that he did not deliberately attempt to injure Cole with his challenge.

"Throughout my 10-year career I believe my disciplinary record is very good, not only for Manchester United but at all my previous clubs," he said.

"I accept the charge brought by The FA and I take full responsibility for this incident.

"However, there was no deliberate intent to harm Ashley Cole and I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to him."

If van Nistelrooy is landed with a three-game ban, he will miss the trips to Portsmouth this Saturday and to Newcastle United next month, with the derby against Manchester City at Old Trafford sandwiched in between, although it could depend on the club's progress in the Carling Cup.

DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 09:06 AM UTC
He went in for a tackle and put his foot over the ball and into Cole's leg - should have been a 'red-card' on the spot.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 09:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

should have been a 'red-card' on the spot.

Depends on the angle it was seen from. When I saw it first, I though Cole had slid in and fouled van Nistelrooy, it was only after the replays I saw the actual foul. Cant really blame the ref. on this one.
I do think its a positive step, to take camera evidence into account after the game though. Hopefully it will make a player think twice before they do something stupid. Too many fouls and acts of violenceare going unpunished. The only problem is where will it stop?
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 12:18 PM UTC
Thanks guys. I hate to see hard tackles such as this one. This could have been really dangerous. Hopefully Cole is OK.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 06:41 PM UTC
Serves the bugger right!

Not an Arsenal fan, but certainly no fan of Man United!

flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 08:29 PM UTC
Hi...
Mr Nistelrooy is often the "innocent" party in many a foul.
I find him sly and definitely dirty.
I am no Arsenal fan but watching the rumpus last year when the Arsenal players reacted very stupidly, the reason was Nistelrooy.
Both he and Viera went up for the ball. Nistelrooy deliberately brought his knee up into the abdomen of Viera which is why he re acted.

I think on the Cole incident he definitely went over the top and should, as Dave said, have got an immediate red card.

I've watched him very carefully these last 12 months and he is definitely dodgy when it comes to being Mr Clean.

But thats just my view.

Cheers
Peter
:-)
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 08:53 PM UTC
Van Nistelrooy is one of the biggest cheats in the game hes had more dives than a stuka pilot and submariner combined. He's lucky he only got a 3 match ban IMO that tackle was done on purpose and could have finished Coles playing days. The Ref should also be looked at 7 times he's been to Old Trafford and 7 times hes awarded the red scum penities.
I'm a bit doubious about the state of Reffing Old Trafford a few weeks ago the ref went into the united changing room at 1/2 time and was seen laughing and telling jokes with the players. Surely not very professinal or impartal in many peoples eyes:( In the 2nd half they were awarded an iffy penalty and won the match.
It's times like this that TV replays for incidents like this should used to make decisions and help clean up the game
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 09:45 PM UTC
I agree - I saw the game on sunday and Van Nistelrat did nothing but (as usual) provoke the Arsenal players. Rooney also took a dive. The referee? Seven matches at Old Trafford and seven penalties in favour of ManU.? Yeah, I believe in coincidence like everyone else ..Jim
ave
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
entire network: 417 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 10:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Van Nistelrooy is one of the biggest cheats in the game hes had more dives than a stuka pilot and submariner combined.

:-) thats one of the best comparisons I've heard in awhile!
but yes, I do agree that he is not the fairest player around.