_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Future
Bribo
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 205 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 09:28 AM UTC
Do most of you that use Future as a top coat thin it before spraying through an airbrush? And if so, with what? I'd love to try it, as so many have recommended it, but want to do it right! :-)
Thanks,
Bribo
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 09:51 AM UTC
Nope straight from the bottle. You got to be careful of runs.
Pieter
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 141 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 10:01 AM UTC
hey Bribo

I sprya straight from the bottle with a single action brush. I spray it at about 5-10 psi. that way I dont get the runs with it. I alos spray it about 8 inches away so it will mist on instead of painting it on. Hope this helps you in your quest :-)
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 498 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 09:42 PM UTC
I cut it 50/50 with de-natured alcohol. This allows me to apply several thinner coats and it dries a little quicker too. I also don't get runs as bad. This is just my experience with it. HTH Good Luck.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 10:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I cut it 50/50 with de-natured alcohol. This allows me to apply several thinner coats and it dries a little quicker too. I also don't get runs as bad. This is just my experience with it. HTH Good Luck.

Me too - it's easier to handle that way. I also use it un-cut for dipping canopies or windshield parts in...

Gunnie
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2002 - 08:04 AM UTC
I am pretty new to using it but the one thing I would suggest is being patient and putting on a few light coats. It dries fast that way so you shouldn't have to wait to long. Someone told me to do it that way and it has worked great. I have always shot it without a adding alcohol but may try that if it works for others.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2002 - 07:18 PM UTC
How long does this stuff stay good I have a bunch but have not used it in years back to that case stuff again,do you think it is good or should I throw it all out and get another case. Well this time just a bottle Don't want to screw up now.
Thanks

great for painting wet eyes on Dinos.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 06:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How long does this stuff stay good I have a bunch but have not used it in years back to that case stuff again,do you think it is good or should I throw it all out and get another case. Well this time just a bottle Don't want to screw up now.
Thanks

great for painting wet eyes on Dinos.

Wow - good question. I use some super-old Future too and have never had a problem with it. I wonder if it does have a shelf life...

Gunnie
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 06:08 AM UTC
Hey guys,
I just replaced my bottle of future, because I discovered little gel like floaties inside the bottle. I've had that bottle for about 9 years. I hope that this helps you out some.

GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 06:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey guys,
I just replaced my bottle of future, because I discovered little gel like floaties inside the bottle. I've had that bottle for about 9 years. I hope that this helps you out some.

Heh heh - mine's only 8 1/2 years old...

Gunnie
Josenhans
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 46 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2002 - 11:28 AM UTC
Is the future applied only for helping the wash or is there another reason?
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2002 - 11:54 AM UTC
A gloss coat is good for decalling over too. It makes a smoother surface for the decal to adhere to.

Nic
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 04:55 AM UTC
i can get as much Future as anyone would want, my wife works for S.C. Johnson

Chris Pig no.1
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 06:09 AM UTC
What do you use to clean the brush after spraying future?

Toni
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 06:42 AM UTC
I just recently returned to models and used an acient bottle of future that was under my sink for at least 5 years. Goes to show how often single guys wax the floor!
dman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 64 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 11:13 AM UTC
Bringing this topic back from the dead...

I have recently bought Future, and was wondering how it should be applied if I were to use a brush. Right now I don't have an airbrush, and I don't see myself getting one in the near future. So I have to use a brush to apply Future to my 1/35 figures. I tried it once on some scrap parts, and little bubbles appeared with each brush stroke that I made. Is there any way to get rid of those bubbles? Should I be painting it lightly, or harder? Should I use thin coats or thick coats? If the bubbles do appear, should I just leave them on there, and they'll disappear when it dries?

Thanks for the help.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 11:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Right now I don't have an airbrush, and I don't see myself getting one in the near future.

He he, getting one in the near "future". I like that one.........

Okay, that wasn't very helpful was it?

Well, I don't use Future, but I do know some people apply it just to the areas they are going to decal using a Q-tip. I would think it might leave fibres behind it, but apparently not. You could give that a try.

Nic
basturk
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 212 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 12:06 PM UTC
Hey dman i think that an airbrush is a definite have in this hobby!! Saves u time and gives u much better results than a normal brush! I don t know what will happwn to me if i ever lose my beloved airbrush!! Its every modeller's personal weapon........ Go get one!
dman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 01:13 PM UTC
Hehehe, Folgore, I thought for a second about puting the "Pun not intended" in there...

basturk, I understand the importance of an airbrush. But right not it's not my priority, I'm still new to this area of the hobby ( I used to model cars and airplanes). Plus when I do get an airbrush, I do intend to get a very good one, hence I'll want to save up for one. But in the mean time I was just wondering if any of you had any tips for applying Future via a paint brush. Folgore, you're suggestion was noted, and I will try it out tomorrow.

Thanks again.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 03:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So I have to use a brush to apply Future to my 1/35 figures

Why go to the bother of applying future to figures. I have painted all my figures with enamels, let them sit for 72 hours and then wash them. No problems. Its one less coat, saves the bother and saves hiding fine detail. I only recently got an airbrush so thats the way I did it, and I think the airbrush is much hassle to set up for figures. Well maybe just to do the undercoat, might be advantageous. Else get a spray can of humbrol primer or matt white. Spray lightly.
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 05:12 PM UTC
Plasticbatle, What happend to your post??

Here is a picture of future

I hope you can find it in Italy, here in Belgium you can't, there are some alternatives, but I don't know how good they will be.

I have someone from America,who sends me a couple of bottles when I need them.

Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 05:30 PM UTC
I think Plastic got his post heard x 17!...lol edited Fixed that.

I believe the European counter-part to Future is called "Krystal". Can anyone there confirm this?
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 06:01 PM UTC
PHEWWWWwww!!
WHAT HAPPENED THERE? Sorry about that, but I dont know what I did. (twilight zone music).
Thanks for the picture of the bottle roadkill!
Was it there 17 times? I cleared away 5 and now Im down to 1 again
#:-)
dman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 08:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Why go to the bother of applying future to figures. I have painted all my figures with enamels, let them sit for 72 hours and then wash them. No problems. Its one less coat, saves the bother and saves hiding fine detail. I only recently got an airbrush so thats the way I did it, and I think the airbrush is much hassle to set up for figures. Well maybe just to do the undercoat, might be advantageous. Else get a spray can of humbrol primer or matt white. Spray lightly.

I have also painted my figures with enamels. But when I tried to do a wash with them (after not touching that piece for more than two weeks) the paint still came off. I did a very light wash, and still it stripped some of the paint. So I was told to use Future (or another clear coat) and then do the wash. So that's what I'm doing now.

So anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of those bubbles?
sfilak
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 45 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 09:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What do you use to clean the brush after spraying future?

Toni

I've found that the easiest way to clean the airbrush after using Future is to spray a siphon jar full of Windex through the brush, followed by hot water, and then, just to make sure everything is cleaned out, a shot of lacquer thinner. Never had a problem with the airbrush gumming up using this method.

HTH-
 _GOTOTOP