Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
bit torrant file sharing
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2004 - 07:06 PM UTC
Anyone use bit torrant file sharing? much better than kaza,imesh ect and no pop ups for spyware to boot either and what the file called is actually the correct file not something else re-labeled
ave
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
entire network: 417 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2004 - 07:10 PM UTC
Where can I get it from?
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2004 - 07:25 PM UTC
great place for downloading all sorts of nasty viruses as well... Original software is ultimately cheaper...Jim
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 12:30 AM UTC
what's it used for. I've heard of Kaza, my ex uses it to download music (or at least she did until everyone got so nasty about it).
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 01:09 AM UTC
HERE
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 01:15 AM UTC
Here is an explanation I have found on the web:

*** I'd call BitTorrent a way of creating ad-hoc per-file (or per-directory) P2P networks. As a "seeder" you dump some... let's say... audio files... in a folder on your machine, create a small (100k) "torrent file" which you distribute to your pals, then you and the "leechers" run the bittorrent app and pass PARTS of the files in said folder back and forth until everybody has the whole thing. BT's built-in hashing handles all this automagically so you just start it up and it runs, all the while simultaneously downloading pieces you don't have and uploading pieces you do have to needy folks in the network. ***

Max_Fischer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 639 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 03:49 AM UTC
the problem is , is that is its illegal
oh well thats where i got alot of my games from

COD
BF
Blitzkrieg and even movies. :-)
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 07:11 AM UTC
Any P2P program, if used for "sharing" copyright protected materials, is illegal. Now let me see what else I can download tonight... :-) ... just kidding folks...or am I?
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 07:26 AM UTC
i havnt had any problems with kazaa yet. anyways, i dont download much anymore.

Frank
RAF-Mad
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 153 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 09:33 AM UTC
OMG thats illegal!!!! lol. shesh P2P will never die now no matter how many poeple they sue.
BuckGully
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 61 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 11:09 AM UTC
It is not illegal to use P2P programs.

This was upheld by the 9th Circut Court's ruling on MGM vs Grokster.
Link to decision

It is still illegal to violate copyrights, and it doesn't matter how you do it.

However, BitTorrent is cool, and very useful for things not related to piracy. In fact, as P2P apps go it's not very useful for stuff like that right out of the box the same way Kazaa or others are. It doesn't let you search, you need to have access to the torrent file already to download anything.

I use Bittorrent all the time, and I've never used it to pirate anything. For example, when new Red vs Blue episodes come out, they usually supply them in Bittorrent format - it saves them bandwidth cost and speeds up everyone's downloads. I also use it for things like game demos and patches - it's much better than using the file download websites (Like FilePlanet) that want you to install spyware and stuff your browser with tracking cookies.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 03:24 PM UTC
I don't think the 9th Circuit Court's jurisdiction goes much beyond it's area of responsibility. According to their licence agreements, most software is for use to the people who purchased it.. It certainly does NOT affect the rest of the world...

Just my 2 cents worth, I find piracy repulsive whether it is software or kit parts..

Piracy (particularly the piracy involving movies) is an organised criminal activity - I don't mean P2P - I am talking about internationally organised gangs...

Speaking hypothetically, the vast majority of people would find it unacceptable if international terrorist groups were to ask for donations in the world's shopping malls... People are still prepared however to fund terrorism by buying illegal DVDs, CDs and Console games. Don't kid yourselves, much of the illegal activity that goes on IS funded by international terrorist groups... No it isn't paranoia - the links have been established..

I suppose it's a bit ironic, on my part, considering that here in Spain, there is more illegal material sold than any other two European countries put together... As i said before, you might save a few dollars, but in the end your computer will pay the price...Jim