_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
FSM Survey: Favorite part of modeling?
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2002 - 10:47 PM UTC
In the September 2002 issue of FineScale Modeler, editor Mark Thompson asks readers to answer an online poll asking what is the best part of modeling. You can find it at:
http://www.finescale.com/

The three choices are:
1) Opening the kit box
2) The finished model
3) The build

This question made me take a look at my own experience, and -- based on the number of started but unfinished kits sitting around my bench, I had to answer: The build.

Sure, getting a new kit is always a thrill (how can anyone leave the shrinkwrap on???), and the satisfaction of a finished model is nice, but I most enjoy the build. On the Web and in magazines, I also most enjoy seeing the in-progress photos.

When I look at a new kit in the box, I'm thinking about the build. What references to I have or need? What details can I fine-tune? What aftermarket parts might I add? What figures would go nicely with it? Will it go into a dio with something else I have?

And when I look at a finished kit, I still think about the build. How long did it take me to build it? What was wrong or tough about the kit? Did I try a new technique on it? Did I get the result I intended? Did a friend help with reference or tips?

It all comes back to the build for me.

What do the rest of you guys and gals think?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2002 - 11:56 PM UTC
I think that I find the most joy in building the model itself. Opening the box isn't as exciting, and once the model is done - I'm a little sad. It's strange...

Gunnie
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 12:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think that I find the most joy in building the model itself. Opening the box isn't as exciting, and once the model is done - I'm a little sad. It's strange...

Gunnie

I Think I have to go with what Gunnie said, But over all the whole experince is unique and fun. Right now I'm in full swing, Knocking out one kit after the other
as I get them in. But too I am starting to acquire a number of them too.

DAGGER-1
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 12:11 AM UTC
I saw this survey too and had to pick the finished model as my choice.

I personally don't like to leave things undone or unbuilt so you won't see any started but unfinished kits on my workbench. I guess that's because I take them slow and methodical and push until the model is complete. I like to be able to look at the finished kit up on a shelf and take pride in the hard work I put into it and hopefully relish in skills gained or inspiration given to other modelers-I know I take inspiration from others finished kits. Plus, when I'm finished with the kit I get excited because that means its time to start another.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 12:16 AM UTC
Amen Tincan:

DAGGER-1
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 02:30 AM UTC
The build, without a doubt. I'm one that can't leave the shrinkwrap on the box, I admit, but I'm thinking about the build even as I admire the kit. And, the reason I'm even in this hobby is the enjoyment I get building a project. I'm still learning with every completed model, which only makes me look forward to the next build even more, as I'm sure it will come out better because of what I've learned on the previous one. While I try to watch what I spend on models, I've figured out it's probably the best entertainment bargain around, as I can happily spend hours and hours on a project, contentedly building away. It's definately the most fun you can have with your pants on.

Mike

clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 07:54 AM UTC
Different strokes for different folks...

I have to say that for me the most enjoyable part is when I put that last piece of stowage, or whatever, on the vehicle and it is completely finished. If I can add a bit more my other favorite step in the process is when the building is done but the painting has not yet begun. Something about those things when they are festooned with brass, resin, plastic, etc. showing off the work that went into the build always inspires me.

Rick Cooper
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 09:22 AM UTC
I'm definitely in the "build" category. Ilove the research the PE and scratch building. Finishing is almost anti climactical. I always seem to see something eklse to add.

Josh weingarten
aKA shiryon :-)
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 09:58 AM UTC
Like many a reverbating echo...it's the build which I enjoy the most! :-)
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 08:46 PM UTC
Hmm opening the box is pretty cool. I get the excited feelings of the limitless possibilities of what I can produce... of course then reality sets in for me during the build (sink holes and poorly matched parts etc.) leading to the dissapointment of the result of the build (or the half built kit on the shelf)

MSW
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 08:49 PM UTC
Would have to say the finished model
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 05:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would have to say the finished model

I have to go on that one,to me the kick is in the painting,to see the colours coming together
bit by bit,its almost as good as an early night......not quite!
Arthur.
Am Alba Mannich :-) :-) :-)
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 05:18 AM UTC
The building part, absolutely.
The finished model makes me sad too.
I have a thing that I do every time I finish a bigger project. I just sit and examine it head to toes, and this can take hours, even in the middle of the night. Thatīs the Final Exception and after that itīs not possible to touch it any more. Thatīs when I list the good parts and the bad parts in my mind, remember the music I listened to when the face was painted, ACCEPT it as a finished piece of work. And thatīs it. After that it really doesnīt interest me anymore and when I hit the bed I feel sad. The next day Iīm already climbing the walls to start the next project, which will be the Only Best Project!

...Again!

Toni
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 09:20 AM UTC
I have to admit that I love to build them, hate to paint and again love to add some weathering on it (sounds contraditory?).
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 10:28 AM UTC
I go with the "build" camp. I can't finish a single one because I learn something new everytime I visit this site. There's also something soothing about quietly carving plastic in front of the tv (it might be the glue fumes but hey it's one of the perks of our hobby #:-) ).
Abrams101
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 146 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 11:02 AM UTC
I'd have to say the build too. I think I spend more time trimming flash also in front of the t.v., (usualy black hawk down or enemy at the gates,) and just trim flash and touch up detail with my hobie knife for hours before actualy putting one drop of glue on the patient.Theres just somthing so theripudic about it. For instance, I have a somewhat mild case of A.D.D.(atension defacit blah blah) and for once I can sit and finish something , It's prety damn cool.
So in ending I'd have to say a toss up between opening it and building.

I'm not waving, I'm saluting over and over again.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 12:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

and once the model is done - I'm a little sad. It's strange...

I was wondering if I was the only one that felt this way. I would have to go with the build camp. I think I just hate to quite after I have done so much research and everything on the subject. I have only quite a project if it has become damaged beyond repair. I have never walked away from a project without accidently destroying it first. My wife doesn't understan how I can put so much time into doing simple little things that take so much time and will most likely not be noticed my poeple, its just the fun of building.
ARMDCAV
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 115 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2002 - 10:59 AM UTC
Must be the building because I've never really finished one yet.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2002 - 12:54 PM UTC
I would have to cast my tent in the building camp. I enjoy watching the vehicle take shape.
mihaip
Visit this Community
Romania
entire network: 45 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 05:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie

Opening the box is a quick pleasure. Building is a long-lasting nice experience (but in contrast with th real life we don't want it to last forever :-) ). Finished model helps remembering the fine time (or the long hours spent filling gaps) you have spent with the kit, it's just like a picture of an ex #:-)
Thor
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 50 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 06:12 AM UTC
To be honest, ill have to say that all three points are favourite parts of the building proces

1. Opening the kit box
As mentioned by Hollowpoint, its always a thrill to get a new kit, take a look at it and think of all the possibilities it has. It goes something like this: "Didnt i have some pilots there........oh no, that 88 would be better...........no no, that bush and that tank together with this kit.......sigh............ ill think of something when i have finished it".

2. The finished model
Always gives me great saticfaction to see a nice kit standing in a dio, or on a shelve. Often i take a good look at a finished model to see if i can discover something that i forgot or could improve on a next kit.

3. The building
Painting is absolutely my favourite part of the building proces. Besides that, what can i say that you people havent said already

Dolf
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 145 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 08:09 AM UTC
I'm gonna have to go with the finished product on this one.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 08:16 AM UTC
Ya walk into the shop on1313 E. 666th st. SORRY! The best part is FINDING that little gem at a great price in some mom and pop store or flea market opening the box and just imagining the possibilities then, in my case , you proceed to ruin the model..weather it to the max and tell all your non modelling friends what a great weatherer you are whether or not you are!? Get my drift? Jeff
lambertjr
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 131 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 11:08 AM UTC
Actually I enjoy the research leading up to the building phase.
Sometimes it's hard work, other times I only have to look at a picture or two.
If I had to stick to one of the three choices given it would be the build phase.

by the way, I'm the new guy
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 12:39 PM UTC
I have would have to say my favorite is the build....
 _GOTOTOP