Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
your modelling room
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 01:40 AM UTC
What are some of your modelling room like. Are they big,small or do you share it with someone. Whats in your room. Me, i own a big house, had five childern four moved out and was able to pick one of the bigger bedrooms for myself. My son was remodeling his kitchen and i took a few of the wall cabinets and put them on the floor along the wall. Went to my local home center and bought a 10 foot counter top to throw on top of cabinets. The base cabinet are to tall to use. Hung to 7' foot shop lites over the counter top, and threw up some shelfing around the room. I have every thing i need in here eg: computer,tv, chairs and so on. My wife says, all i need is a bed and fridge and i'll never leave the room....um,maybe a thought
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 01:53 AM UTC
Sounds like you got yourself a nice area to build models and relax. Enjoy! As for me, I unfortunately share my modeling space with my bedroom. Luckily this is just a temporary setup. I am planning on building my hobby room in my attic. I have plenty of room up there. Now I just need time and money to get it finished the way I want it.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 01:58 AM UTC
Ive carved out a corner of the garage. One 6' folding table, one console TV that doubles as a spray booth stand, and one card table are the work surfaces. Storage shelves all over. Not to bad, it does get a bit hot in the summer though
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 02:33 AM UTC
I live alone in a 3 room apartment with 3 cats who are nice enough to let me have a corner of the bedroom, and a top shelf to myself.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 03:14 AM UTC
Mine is in the side of my room, its an allright setupo, though I occasionally throw a towl over the table and work in the living room.
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 03:20 AM UTC
Mine is in my basement. An old workbench with a window above it and lots of lighting. Got some shelves on the wall for my books and unbuilt kits. It is out of the way so my wife can't complaing about a mess.

Paul
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 03:24 AM UTC
Hi, The house we bought here a couple of years ago has an extra garage tacked onto the side of it that was used by the previous owner as something of a work room. (The neighbors said most of his work consisted of drinking beer. Ha, ha!)

Anyway, he put in some of those pressed wood cabinets and a work bench you see at the home improvement stores and this is what I use to model on. Only problem is that this garage isn't heated, so I'm kind of out of luck some the winter time, although my wife does let me occasionally do a little modeling on the kitchen table during the winter. But still I'm kind of closed down for any spray painting when the garage gets below 50 degrees or so. But that's okay. We all have to work around our shortcomings in this hobby.

Take care, Sgirty
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 03:39 AM UTC
I have the luxury of having a modeling room, in our finished basement, all for modeling. I used vanities canniblized from my remodeling work and built a top for it to serve at my workbench and it all looks like this.

This is where I am at right now. I will be building a wall unit that, hopefully, will add to it's awesomeness!

Cuhail
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
entire network: 3,040 Posts
KitMaker Network: 251 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 03:54 AM UTC
Wow, that's a very nice/organized/clean workbench you've there. I spend almost all my time in my bedroom which has become primairely a modelling room

It's an organized mess
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 05:00 AM UTC
Murphy, i thought i had the shizniz. well placed accesories. great job!
waterboy
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 466 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 05:01 AM UTC
Heres a couple shots of " Das Bunker" 3 rooms in my basement that I get to use. One is a bathroom with running water and other neccessities

Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 05:48 AM UTC
I've got a 10' X 30' shed attached to the house with 2 benches, many shelves, and an old microwave cart for a spray booth. I mainly use the shed for the "dirty" work (dio construction, painting, etc). I've got an extra computer bench in the 2nd floor loft for figure painting and times too cold for the shed.

Art
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 08:41 AM UTC
wow....some interesting setup.... amazingly i didn't see ashtray lying around....

i just move into a new double story link house...the new hobby room situated in the smallest room at the ground floor. the room is about 5 1/2 ' x 6 ' . VEry small compare to that of my previous apartment.
Inside the room is 2 big table...one for building model and the other is where i put my home made spray booth. BAck in the apartment, the room is so big so i have plenty of room to put stuff. Now, the smaller room need me to reorganize think carefully. SOmetimes i rearrange the setup again and again,,,just to find the right setting. I've settling at the new house (1 and 1/2 months now) , the hobby room wasn't operational yet.

i will post photos if they're done.

Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 02:18 AM UTC
Mines the kitchen table or the conservatory table I have to pack my gear away after each session my finished kits go on a shelf in the garden shed my old Italieri Tiger is crewed by a wood louse and a couple of spiders :-) My modelling gear goes in a plastic crate
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 11:30 PM UTC
waterboy, whats that airfix kit you got there? ( in reply to other half reading over my shoulder, YES I AM ALWAYS THIS NOSEY)
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 12:12 AM UTC
I have a big room in our basement that I use for all kinds of jobs/hobbies - reloading, gunrepair, leatherworks (making gunrigs) - its my reloading equipment you see in the background and my safe with guns (kids in the house)

Its a bit messy right now - mostly due to a old lady .. t34/76

chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 01:48 AM UTC
I am actually in the basement. In a corner, with a big shop light over me, and my display cases on my right.

I will post pictures soon, its quite room actually!

~Chip
Bus
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
entire network: 846 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 02:21 AM UTC
This is my corner:
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 05:50 AM UTC
I have to say, workbenches tend to evolve as we adjust to what works best for us. Mother, you said I had quite the setup, and yes, NOW it is getting a bit more comfortable. It is by no means done. In fact, this is the same shot, basically, the only change is time and evolution.

The time is almost two years ago, right after I moved in to this house. It's the same corner as the picture above.
I am not even done yet. The workbench will eventually move to yet another room in the basement as the N-Scale layout on the other wall evolves around the room.
If you look close at the "NEW" picture up above in my first post, you will see the sky/background color on the wall where eventually, the layout will be on that wall.

HA! Had enough rambling? :-)

Cuhail