_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Best Tip ever
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 03:27 AM UTC
Mal Mayfield (HOLDFAST) posted a tip a while back. Using Fingernail Polish Remover in lieu of sanding and filing to remove Squadron putty used as filler. This is one of the best things I have learned in 50 years, thanks Mal.
Mal’s contributions here are always valuable, but this one takes the cake. It gives one the ability to fill cracks and still preserve the surrounding detail. I use the method on almost every model I build now and am simply overjoyed.
Thanks again Mal and thanks to Armorama for attracting modelers like him, that are willing to share their techniques.
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 04:00 AM UTC
Have to agree, Chuck, great tip- but I like to remind people to limit their exposure to acetone (effective ingredient in NPR) as much as possible. Goes directly to you liver & kidneys, and builds up. No way to detoxify. The dose is cumulative, so you kill a few more cells every time you crack the bottle. Wear gloves, apply with cloth or cotton, & always work in a well ventilated area.
Sorry if I seem to harp on this But I've got two buddies I used to work with in film slowly dying from overexposure to this stuff...Just thought you'd like to know
JohanW
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
entire network: 143 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 05:55 AM UTC
I don't know if somebody noticed, but it also works on Tamiya Putty.....
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 06:24 AM UTC
Hi Rob

Thanks for the safety warning - I didn't know it was harmful.

On the positve side, it also works brilliantly with Vallejo acrylic putty.

Cheers

Rowan
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 498 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 07:46 AM UTC
I missed the post with the tip. Can you re-direct me to it??? Anything that keeps from sanding rivet/panel detail away has gotta be a REAL GEM!!!!

Chief
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 11:07 AM UTC
I use liquid glue to smooth out putty and filler... not nearly as toxic as nail polish remover!
gharlane
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 9 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 11:14 AM UTC
Testor's Liquid Cement works great with Squadron Green Putty (the only kind of putty i use)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 03:15 PM UTC
Actually Roadkill introduced me to this tip a few years ago. He has an explanation on his homepage where he shows putty and acetone-free nail polish remover used to smooth down. The acetone can actually affect plastic. He uses tamiya putty in his exlanation, but I use humbrol and it works equally well!
It is indeed one of the "must-know" tips for filling seams and small gaps.
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 03:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually Roadkill introduced me to this tip a few years ago

eeeh thanks but i just passed on some info that another modeler told me

You can find the explanation on my site (click banner) and go to the tips section
bozar
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 4 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 06:38 PM UTC
Roadkill,

You have an excellent site.

Absolutely awsome!!!

Lee
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 06:58 PM UTC
Tnx Lee you make me blush
Cactus911
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 11:58 PM UTC
This is off-topic, but I just have to chime in:

Quoted Text

Have to agree, Chuck, great tip- but I like to remind people to limit their exposure to acetone (effective ingredient in NPR) as much as possible. Goes directly to you liver & kidneys, and builds up. No way to detoxify. The dose is cumulative, so you kill a few more cells every time you crack the bottle. Wear gloves, apply with cloth or cotton, & always work in a well ventilated area.

I am laughing (whistling in the graveyard?) at my experiences working in chemistry labs. At the end of every day we would more or less wash our hands with that stuff, and never under a hood.

Of course chemists used to have "taste" as an identifying characteristic of compounds, so go figure!

Stephen
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 12:03 AM UTC
Now I bought some of this Bondo spot putty, and when I need it thinner I just use a little rubbing alcohol, then I can paint it where I need it, works fine for me.

Kerry
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 10:25 PM UTC
I use nail polish remover on Gunze 500. Works like a charm.

Sealhead
MCR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 464 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 07:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is not to downplay the need to use common sense while using acetone (or any other solvent for that matter) however it does not build up in the liver or kidneys according to any Materials Safety Data Sheet I have ever read and, in fact, is readily metabolized, rarely staying in the body for more than two or thee days before being completely broken down.
Damage to the liver and kidneys (as well as skin and mucous membranes) can occur from excessive exposure in much the same way that you can damage your liver from excessive alcohol consumption but this would require quantities far in excess of what we as modelers would be likely to experience.
As was said, try to limit your exposure and use acetone as well as all other solvents in a well ventilated area.

Be safe!

Mark
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 - 02:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Roadkill,

You have an excellent site.

Absolutely awsome!!!

Lee

No doubt! I read most of the tips before I realized I had to sleep last night! :-)

As to the topic, I have never tried it. I am seeing many uses for the technique in my N-Scale modeling endeavors. I ALWAYS worry I cant sand it smooth due to small features molded in the carbodies, and this might be the answer!
Armorama rules!!!

Cuhail
Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 343 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 - 05:46 AM UTC
well I saw this in my local arts and crafts shop and I thought I'd do one out of some wire I had around..I guess it's pretty usefull.

cheers guys

_GOTOTOP