_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Just some quick questions
A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 236 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 12:49 AM UTC
Hey

I got some questions that need awnsering and what better to ask you experts on armorama so...

If a tank sustained a blow to the track would the other track continue and maybe turn the tank ?

Does anybody know how to sctarchbuild a stone dyke wall?

If a tank fell off a bridge how bad would the damage be?

Cheers scott
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
entire network: 1,217 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 01:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey

I got some questions that need awnsering and what better to ask you experts on armorama so...

If a tank sustained a blow to the track would the other track continue and maybe turn the tank ?

Hmmm...my oppinio is that this depends on a type of the tank?

Quoted Text

Does anybody know how to sctarchbuild a stone dyke wall?

I dunno what king of wall your're talking, but plaster (gyps) is a nice material to make bricks, stones etc... and if you're talking about a wall made of many stones, well, use real small stones and make what ever u want

Quoted Text

Cheers scott

And again, it depends on much things...
what kid of tank?
how high was the bridge?

I doubt it would explode or somethin similar, and damage should be diferent, depending on the "angle" it hit the ground.....

ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,009 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 01:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

yes the opposite track will continue to operate. It will only turn the tank if there are wheels left on the dammaged side. Even if the tracks is completely gone.

Quoted Text

How high is the bridge? Smashed bogies and tracks would be probable. Also bent and twisted fenders, light brackets etc etc. If it flipped hatches could be torn away as well as AA Machine guns and stowage bins. Just remember that quite a bit of stuff that is on an AFV is not neccasarily armoured and could be just sheet metal.
HTH
cheers,
Bryan
A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 01:10 AM UTC
Panther tank

15ft high bridge maybe.
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 01:18 AM UTC
I can answer your first question. Yes, if one of the tracks was blown up, the other one would continue moving and cause the tank to spin in circles. I saw it in many Russian documentaries that they show on May Day in Ukraine.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 01:34 AM UTC
There are loads of ways to build a dyke wall. I think the first thing you should do is search for a photo(s) of what you are thinking of and show it here. then you will get loads of great ideas.
One method is by using bricks cut from cork and building it up individually. The picture below by Carlos Elias(spelling?) shows how to go about building up the shape with cardboard or foamboard, and then gluing the cork bricks to it. This is great for complex buildings and shapes.

Or you could get some polystyrene trays .... comes meat and veg from the supermarket ... and scribe the brick detail into it with a ball point pen. This is the simplist method. But must be painted with acrylics as enamels or oils will melt the polystyrene. Below is a bridge and canal/dkye type walls I built using this method.

Or you could make a flat casting with spackle, and scribe the bricks. I did this twiceto get the walls for this building.

Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 489 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 01:38 AM UTC
I never came across a tank that fell off a bridge, but I have seen the damage that can be done from rolling a tank over onto it's turret. As previously stated, all the bustle racks on the side that the tank rolled on were damaged severely. The turret stowage boxes were also damaged. The hatches were ripped off the turret roof, as were the machine gun mounts. Anything that was atop the turret was destroyed.

I have also seen the damage caused by driving into a tank ditch. There was damage to the front skirts and fenders. The skirts were knocked out of alignment. Also interesting, the gun tube was bent. It wasn't a severe comical looking bend, but it had a curvature of about 2 inches from the mantle to the muzzle. Both of these tanks (M1A1) had to be turned in.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 02:01 AM UTC

LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 02:02 AM UTC
Scott- no Panthers, but I've got a few shots fo a Bradley & an M1 that dropped into ditches- looks farther than 15ft to me...

As you can see most of the stowage was trashed but the hulls appear relatively undamaged. I imagine some suspunsion damage occured, difficult to tell from the photos...
also remember, a panther is made up of several slabs of welded steel, so a landing on stone or pavement could conceivably result in some sprung seams/cracked welds.
HTH

[EDIT] Yow! I pulled those images out of a powerpoint presentation & didn't bother to check the size! Sorry 'bout fillin' the screen...
Matt, thanks, I was looking for that Merkava pic!
A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2004 - 03:58 AM UTC
This is the sort of wall that im looking for
 _GOTOTOP