Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Here we go again!
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 07:25 AM UTC
Well we have barley dug out from Hurricane Charley and now it looks like we at going to get hit by Frances. As of tonight the forecasters place the eye at our front door at about 2 PM Saturday. I live on the beach here in Ormond Beach(Daytona Beach), and we don't feel good about this one. Between the 140 MPH winds and the storm surge I think we will have fresh seafood swimming in our living room. I think it is about time to buy a Motor home and see the country.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 07:41 AM UTC
Although we here in south-eastern Florida luckily missed Charley, we are not so certain about Frances. Fingers here are crossed - for all possible peoples.

We are about 100 yards from the beach. 12 floors up. Eeeek!
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 08:41 AM UTC
Ken, May be time to think about moving back to Joorsay ( ya no wha I meen?)
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 08:43 AM UTC
12 floors up...hmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!

Animal come to Australia and shift in next door to me. We could have a ball togeather
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 1,969 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 08:56 AM UTC
Wishing you mates in Florida the best! Just take care of your selves and families, Dont take chances. And if need be, get the sam out of there! Your all in my thoughts!

The best,

Garry
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 08:58 AM UTC
You guys are both welcome here in Indiana. All we get is the occasional twister...
I have been following this rascal all day. Doesn't look good. Stay safe.

Shaun
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 09:16 AM UTC
Thanks Cliff. I haven't been there since 1968. I would give my eye teeth to be able to live down under. It is very hard to get a resident visa to move there.

Ken, hang in there Bro. Man I hope this one turns North east and heads out to sea.

Thanks all and we could use some help from the Big Guy up above.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 1,969 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 10:26 AM UTC
You are all in my prayers Dave!

God bless!

Garry
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 11:18 AM UTC
Having been under water from Flyod when he passed thru here, I will keep yous guys in da prayers.
Captain94
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 239 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 11:22 AM UTC
Dave,

Good luck with that big breeze coming your way!

You can always move to Calif., we have the usual 4 seasons......Fire, Flood, Earthquake, and Riot Season.

Seriously, Good luck, I hope you and yours come through this latest calamity in good shape.

Be Safe!
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 12:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Between the 140 MPH winds and the storm surge I think we will have fresh seafood swimming in our living room.

But just think you can eat really good for a couple of days!

~Chip :-)
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 01:59 PM UTC
That is something we never met in Aegean coast till now but i can understand the situation as someone who has been in many disasters.all i can say ; good luck buddies.
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 07:59 PM UTC
Take care Dave...
hope it misses you.

Keep your head down.

Cheers
Peter
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 11:36 PM UTC
Wow. Just wow...

And this was YESTERDAY morning...

Shaun
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 01:30 AM UTC
I really feel for you guys out there. I'm sure there must be it's advantages but I just can't see why anybody would want to live in Florida. Between bugs, humidity, alligators, AND hurricanes, I guess it's a toss up which would keep me away more. Here in Colorado Springs we get tornado warnings, but they are always miles away out on the plains. We get the occasional blizzard, but in seven years the kids have only missed three school days, total.

Keep safe. Remember you can always replace material things, but not friends and family.

animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 03:13 AM UTC
I lived almost all over the world and there seems to be problems no matter where you live. I think it goes with the territory. This is a very unusual year for storms all across the country. Mud slides in Japan, Typhoons in the Far East, Floods in VA. and all along the eastern seaboard. Massive fires out west, along with earthquakes and tornado's in places where you would not expect. How about the heavy hail storm in Colorado a few weeks ago.

We got the hurricane panels up in the windows and have my wife's parents on the way to Texas to stay with their other Daughter. My kids will be leaving tomorrow night after they got off from work. We are watching the storm very closely. If it stays on it's projected path we will not be in the eye of the storm. This is a good thing. I feel sad for the folks south of us. It looks like it may make land fall between Palm Beach and Indian River county and head straight toward the center of the state like Charlie did. It is now predicted that we should have sustained winds of 100 MPH for our area. A far cry better than the 140 MPH that will hit the below us. The projection of the hurricanes path has changed seven times in the past 24 hours. We will know for sure by Thursday night of its actual course. Then we breath easy or we run for cover. The worst part is after the storm hits. We have been hot down here this summer and without electrical power and water you can get a little testy to say the least. When Floyd hit us a few years back we went without power for nine days. We are still cleaning up after Charlie and went without power for only 5 days. Some of the poor people;e in Charlotte County are still without power.
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 04:04 AM UTC
Ciao Dave,
You need to get out of there. My sister-in-law is coming with her kids over here to Pensacola. She lives in Palm Bay (Melbourne.) In fact, I just got a call, and they are leaving right now. My only concern is that I might have to send my family with them to somewhere else since that monster could eventually rumble over to us! Pray, brother, pray!
Ciao for now
Rob
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 04:26 AM UTC
Stay safe guys! I am really hoping this doesn't turn out to be another Andrew. I have to admit though that it's not looking good for my favorite state. And I haven't seen any predictions on this but if it does choose to go more west than north it could just cruise over the state and then pick back up in the Gulf of Mexico. THAT would be bad. Double-whammy.

Jim
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 09:15 AM UTC
Best of luck to you guys down there. We'll be keeping you in our thoughts during this storm.

Patrick
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 09:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

All we get is the occasional twister...

Not just twisters. Remember that earthquake (0.0000000001 on the Richter Scale) a couple of summers back that? But, no seriously, prayers are coming your way! Stay safe!
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 09:46 AM UTC
Talked to bro Kencelot tonite who is right off the beach in Ft. Liquordale...my advice ...visit me in New Jersey...Hell in case of lose I'll give ya half my stash! Be safe little bro, no need to be a hero...give staypuff a hug for me!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 11:04 PM UTC
I'm hoping that if anybody from Florida is reading this it's from some motel room far away from home. It's looking worse and worse. You guys really do have my prayers. Keep safe.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 11:10 PM UTC
Hey Animal! Hold on! After the rain always comes the rainbow (if you know what I mean).

BTW, if you ever think of going somewhere, try staying in the Philippines :-)
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 03:00 AM UTC
We have decided to wait until tomorrow morning to make a decision as to high-tail it out of here. All indications seem to show the hurricane to head further north of us... but one never really knows with these things. In any event, we have a couple of places to go that are about 15 - 20 miles west of us. We are well stocked just in case we do get stuck here.
And now I thought I'd show a pic of what the beach looks like right now @ 2:55 PM, 09/02/04. The storm is about 395 miles east southeast of us here. If I'm still here later, I'll take some more.

Look, there is even a dude sailing out there. And, without further adieu, I must oblige my wife's crazy idea of jumping in the surf before it gets too rough.