_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Union Jack Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Cellulose thinners?
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 06:37 PM UTC
Hi there

Where do you buy cellulose thinners these days? All my usual sources seem to be drying up (Ouch! Sorry! ).

I've tried Halfords, B&Q, Robert Dyas and Wilkinsons - all of whom used to stock it, but no longer do (at least in my local area).

Any ideas why it's disappearing from the shelves and where I can still get some?

Cheers

Rowan
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 07:16 PM UTC
Hi Rowan, I know it is readilly available if you buy online mail order. Trouble is the postage costs make it rather expensive.
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 07:37 PM UTC
Hi Rowan
if its disappearing from the shelves of normal stockists, you might try trade suppliers and in particular those that supply Auto painters.
But even they have mostly switched to acrylics..."2 pack" being the most memorable. But there must be enough older cars around for "celly" and thinners to be still stocked.

Good hunting
Cheers
Peter
:-)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 03:38 AM UTC
I used to buy cellulose thinners at Halfords, at about £4.50 per half litre, ouch. I use 2 pack paint at work and we use cellulose thinner to clean out the airbrushes. I can get the stuff from work for 40p a litre :-) I originally wanted it to add to white spirit, this makes Xtracolor paints dry faster. Since the discovery of Rustins paint driers however, which makes Xtracolor dry in about 2 hours, or less, I now use cellulose thinner for cleaning my airbrush :-)
I have a feeling that cellulose thinner is about to be banned. At least for sale on the domestic market. Unfortunately, Rowan, I don't think I can send it through the post. However If we get to meet up at Telford I'll bring you a litre or 2.
Mal
Merlin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 05:09 AM UTC
Hi again

Wow!! 40p per litre! LOL!! It shows what kind of mark up they add on the High Street!

I actually found some during a last minute trip into town, when I checked out a timber merchants on the off-chance... 2 x 1/4 Lt bottles of Rustins for £5.69! Double ouch!!

What is it about cellulose thinners that's suddenly got everyone worried? There's far more scary stuff (e.g. Hammerite thinners) still on the shelves...

Quoted Text

If we get to meet up at Telford I'll bring you a litre or 2.
Mal

Sounds good Mal! Fingers crossed I'll make it this year... I'll bring along a Jerry can!

And you're quite right... driers is awesome with enamel paints, but cellulose thinners is a great thinners for Tamiya acrylics when airbrushed; it gives them some "bite". (I haven't tried driers with acrylic... now there's a thought!...)

Thanks everyone

Rowan
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 12:02 AM UTC
Merlin,
find it odd that Halfords dont stock it try one of the superstores you should be able to get some there I did last year also why not go to a local car repair center and see if they will sell you some might even get it for free
Merlin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 12:57 AM UTC
Hi Davy

I always used to buy it at Halfords - it was when I couldn't find there that I began to wonder what was going on...

Thanks for the tip about garages... I'll try the guys 'round the corner and see if they'll let me have a drop.

Cheers

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP