_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Cement blotches
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
entire network: 6,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 276 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 01:39 AM UTC
I would first like to apologise about asking too many questions that might sound stupid to most of you guys.

I wanted to ask if there is a good way to clean a cement blotch on a visible area (Don't have a good cement applicator yet). I was also wondering if this ever happens to any of you guys or am I just a poor excuse for a model builder? Answer to the second question is not obligatory!!
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 01:48 AM UTC
Anyone who asks why and how, is the man who achieves the greater knowledge when he is answered.
That's a "Murphy Original Quote" so I want credit! :-)

Try sanding it off. If it's in a tight area, cut a ladies fingernail emory board down to a more workably- shaped tool.

Here to help

Cuhail
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 02:18 AM UTC
Thanks. Never thought of those emory boards. I'll go raid my wife's drawer.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 02:53 AM UTC
Brother, you be careful in there! Think of her raiding your workbench for anything! Be Careful!

Emoryboards that are mounted on foam boards are available in many grits at your local discount store. They are cuttable by scissors or hobby blade.

I just go to the grocery store every sunday with my wife and throw a few extra items in the basket.

Cuhail
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 03:11 AM UTC
First let it dry!
I have made more small problems worse by trying to 'save' an area than I woud care to count.

I use the emery board idea too.
But if it is just a small area, after it is dry you can carefully scrape it away with an x-acto blade.

Are the Testors diamond shaped black bottle glue applicators avaialble to you? They have a thickness of glue between the thick tube stuff and the thin liquid in the round bottle. In addition they use a metal needle applicator. I have one that I have squeezed the tip partly shut to get an even smaller application area.

A tip for the Testors liquid glue is to drop a few (3-4) of the sytrofoam packing peanuts into the glue. Packing peanuts are just styrene, and will thicken the glue up justa bit for less runny application.
Test the glue on a peanut outside the bottle first to make sure they react.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 06:39 AM UTC
Hi there Hisham

I'd agree with the ealier advice - the main thing is ensure the offending cement is absolutely dry. (in a serious case, I'd leave it weeks, not days...)

Then sand and polish with progressively finer wet & dry or sanding pads, followed by polishing compound.

Hope this helps

Rowan
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 01:57 PM UTC
Hi..
wet and dry very fine grade for me with loads of water and a drop of liquid dish soap to lubricate it.

Also I've used toothpaste (Not gel) to some good effect, especially for final polishing after the wet and dry.

Cheers
Peter

:-)
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 7,600 Posts
KitMaker Network: 41 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 03:43 PM UTC
Use graded sandpaper from 400 in steps down to 1200. Squadron shop carries the stuff. Start first with some regular very fine sand paper to remove the glue from the surface and finish with the graded sandpaper (actually it's on cloth backing to make it very durable and long-lasting) to polish the surface to its original finish. You can also repair clear parts, airplane canopies etc. Works just as well on paint smudges.
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 - 10:58 AM UTC
Sand it out after it dries. For an applicator, I use a very fine brush for liquid cement and a toothpick(round) for others.
capnjock
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 04:45 AM UTC
That sounds like a terrific solution but my problem is being able to but things. Some online stores don't like to ship to the middle east. I know Testor's company as well as Monogram don't ship internationally. But I will keep searching. Maybe I'll find a store I can get it from. Thanks for the advice.
 _GOTOTOP