Local, Regional, or International.
IPMS Nats results
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 06:59 AM UTC
Has anybody returned with the results from the Nats?

Cody
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 08:10 AM UTC
Talal Chouman (Tango Charlie) took first in large scratcbuilt armor and the Dry Heat (best weathering) awards with his 1/16 T-55. Jim Lewis (Gunnie) took several awards, unfortunately I didn't get them down but his Chafee, one of his jeeps and a couple others took honors. I got a third for my EMI mountain man in 54mm figures pre-1860 and a first in sci fi post 1970 with my Predator (Andrea's Space Hunter). I don't know of any other of our posters who brought home iron.
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 08:54 AM UTC
Well deserved Congrads to the 3 of ya!
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 11:41 PM UTC
Yes! Congrats to all who entered and won!

Another big "winner" was Kansas City -- with IPMS Great Plains and IPMS West Central Missouri putting in a winning bid to host the Nats in 2006. I hope to see many of you fine folks there!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:41 AM UTC
Hats off to the Phoenix Crew for putting on a fine show! This one came in at the third largest in IPMS/USA Nationals history - with 2034 total entries.

It was also an event that showcased some very high-caliber models - the toughest I've seen in all five Nationals I've attended. The skill levels displayed made this one an event not to miss.

I headed a judging team with John Bonnanni and Talal Chouman - and we had a good time - though it was tough. As Friday night went on, we were laughing and having a good time. This is a fun side of judging that often gets missed - it can be a blast with a good group.

On Saturday morning, I manned a table with John Bonnanni, Joe Koenig (great armor modeler), David Miller, and Al LaFleche (yeah!) in offering judge's views and critiques on models built by participants. This is something new that IPMS/USA is trying out at the Nationals - and I think it was very successful. 99% of the modelers who brought something up for us to go over left feeling good about their work - while getting a detailed and up-close review of what we saw. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this idea catches on and more participants let IPMS/USA know that they like this and want it to continue. Feedback is critically important at any show, and rarely comes. If it can be done on the scale of a National, then it certainly can be done on a local and regional level.

Al took me around and showed me some of his wonderful work - got me looking for figures now to learn the craft. His two winners (I remember two up on the Banquet screen for sure) were well deserving awardees. "The Mountain Man" is cool!

Talal's T-55, as Al said, was rewarded with a first in its category, won the special award for Best Weathered, and made it into the running for Best Military Vehicle.

I was rewarded with a first for my M24 Chaffee and it also went up into the running for Best Military Vehicle. I also brought home five other awards, four in Armor, one in Sci-Fi, and one in Hypotheticals. I am humbled, as I said above, this National displayed some really good work in every category and genre, and six awards in a single National Convention is a personal best.

Derek Brown's insanely detailed 1:72nd scale M1 Abrams ultimately came out with the nod for Best Military Vehicle over my M24 Chaffee and Talal's T-55 - but - we'll just have to get 'em next year in Atlanta! Armorama was well represented I think.

I did wear my Armorama Polo, and managed to get caught in Convention photographs (thankfully not doing something embarrassing) - so hopefully they will appear in the IPMS/USA Journal coverage and garner more interest for our site.

I wandered throughout the place with a smile everyday. I met Alasdair (Slaphead) at his table and we had a very good talk. He coached me on using Snow Coat properly - can beat getting the skinny from the man himself! My wife was even interested! I hung out at Rob Ervin's table (Formations Models) and purchased several examples of Sherman and Stuart related resin offering for near-future reviews here on site. He is a great guy! I hope to share information with him on future allied armor releases.

The last West-Coast National was the one we held here in Santa Clara five years ago. I was really burned-out after that one and haven't been to one since - but - Phoenix was so much fun it reminded me just how big a blast the IPMS/USA Nationals can be. If you haven't been to one, or are hesistant, I say go for it without reservations. All those personalities really make it too much fun to write down here.

I'm already working out how I'm going to make it to Atlanta in 2005 & Kansas City in 2006. I'm also wondering who's gonna host the West-Coaster for 2007...

Okay - I'll shut-up for now...

Gunnie
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:57 AM UTC
A big congrats guys!

Here are some pics of the event:

IPMSSLC.com Photo Gallery Day 1
IPMSSLC.com Photo Gallery Day 2
IPMSSLC.com Photo Gallery Day 3.1
IPMSSLC.com Photo Gallery Day 3.2
IPMSSLC.com Photo Gallery Day 4
Enjoy.
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2004 - 08:12 AM UTC
Jim,

Is this Derek's Abrams?

Cody
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2004 - 09:32 AM UTC
Yep! Very nice little beastie this is - even with working 1:72nd scale hinges to 'bout!

Gunnie
kkeefe
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2004 - 09:59 AM UTC
That's great news everybody! Congratulations to all!!
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2004 - 10:41 AM UTC
Congrats to all who won an award, and also to those who just plain entered. From the few pics I have seen the level of quality builds was really something.

Quoted Text

I'm already working out how I'm going to make it to Atlanta in 2005 & Kansas City in 2006.

Well I hope you (and many others) can get it worked out Jim. We had a super regional here last January, and we think the upcoming 2005 Nationals could be huge. For anyone interested we have just recently opened a dedicated Nationals website. It is being updated regularly so check it out for what will be going on. Here is a link to it. http://www.ipmsusa2005.org/

Mike
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2004 - 10:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well I hope you (and many others) can get it worked out Jim. We had a super regional here last January, and we think the upcoming 2005 Nationals could be huge. For anyone interested we have just recently opened a dedicated Nationals website. It is being updated regularly so check it out for what will be going on. Here is a link to it. http://www.ipmsusa2005.org/

Mike - I feel pretty good about making it to Atlanta and Kansas City. Part of the move to retire and start-up my own business was enhancing my ability to set my own schedule. I've already got 2004-2005 through the Fall figured out and planned...

I visited the 2005 Nationals table - and I thought you guys were so organized and ready to go - you could have started next month. Atlanta looks like it's gonna be a record-making show.

Now, if I knew where I could consume mass quantities of barbeque while there, I've have my airfare already paid for! (Both me and the wife actually lost a few pounds walking in the warm (gasp) Arizona sun this trip! I need to gain some back in Atlanta!)

Gunnie
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:49 AM UTC
I was there and was very impressed with the quality of work on display. This was a great show and the competition was spectacular. IMHO, the best national I've been to in about ten years (ok I missed a few!)
I had a few figs, but I had to depart Saturday AM and I was sure that I wouldn't place, so I pulled one figure to give it to my dad for his collection. I did, however, leave my son and stepson's entries in the contest. My brother lives in Phoenix, so he could recover them for the boys.
I just heard today that both boys took prizes in their categories! My son placed first in preteen figures and third in preteen small scale aircraft, my stepson placed third in preteen figures and first in preteen armor. I am very proud of the efforts of both boys.
It was also neat to see up-close some of the work displayed here...AJ and Gunnie have work that immediately pop into mind. Too bad I wasn't as observant as I should have been, or I was spending too much time at make-and-take, or I might have finally met up with a few of you!
We'll I am looking forward to ATL; ok I am actually on the committee, so I look forward to meeting you all next year.
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 492 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 06:09 AM UTC
Congratulations to all those who won. Really impressive builds.
Burik
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,437 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 03:23 AM UTC
I just got back from the trip. It was a great show and of course I spent a bunch at the vendor tables, so my pockets are empty now. I was lucky enough to get a 2nd for my 90mm mounted Edward The Black Prince. I also got a 2nd for my figure vignette of the Scots Greys at Waterloo. Both are in my gallery if anyone is interested in seeing them. But the model I thought had the best chance did not place; my burned out T-34 diorama. T.S. as my wife likes to tell me (she tells me that alot). I'm happy though, as this was my first award(s) at the nationals.

I'm glad everyone enjoyed my photos that Cody Grayland posted.

Cheers.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 03:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was lucky enough to get a 2nd for my 90mm mounted Edward The Black Prince.
Cheers.

I liked this guy a lot. Very mice heraldry work on him.

I also helped judge the English Knight in large scale figures. This is a very nicley painted figure and was a close contender for a trophy. Two things stood out the hurt it. One was the lack of seeming weight pulling on the shield, but more importantly, the bird motif on his clothing and shield. We, the judges, felt he'd have done better if you'd had a simpler motif or if you'd made these up as decals so they'd be more consistent.

It always happpens that the things you think are going to do well don't quite make it. LOL
Burik
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,437 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 03:49 AM UTC
Thanks Al for the comments on the standing knight.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It always happpens that the things you think are going to do well don't quite make it. LOL

Truer words are rarely spoken - never count your awards before going to the Nationals...

Congratulations Burik! I think next year all us Armorama members should were shirts or caps so we can find each other!

Gunnie
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 07:02 AM UTC
I've only been to 2 Nationals I guess it was 2000 here in Dallas where I had an absolute ball all day (My hometown) went to Okla City last year and was mightily disappointed at the turnout. Sorry I couldn't get out to Phoenix. Maybe it'll come back to Dallas in 4-5 years or Houston. or even better San Antonio...now there is a FUN place to visit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 _GOTOTOP