TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Where Have the Movies Gone?????
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 07:14 AM UTC
Not too many years ago I remember my local stations here in California running movies like The Blue Max, Hell is for Heros, Anzio, Northwest Passage etc on TV.

Now its "reality" TV and Informercials - I guess this pays better than the old time war movies. Sad, but for SPR and BoB the current generation knows very little of WWII - you remember, that war in black and white.

When was the last time "The World at War" series was aired on TV? Or "Victory at Sea" both classics and now regretably if you want to see them the DVD's are available somewhere. Very sad.
earwig61
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 188 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 07:39 AM UTC
You know Frank, It does seem that over the past few years, less and less of the WW2 documentary shows are on. I started a thread, "Is there anything REALLY worth watching", a few days ago. I'm singing your Oh Woe song. Besides fishing, some of my favorite time spent with my father was watching "Combat", and the old classic WW2 movies on a rainy Saturday afternoon. A few years back, there seemed to be no shortage of WW2 documentaries. I drove my wife just a little bit nuts with those.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 04:45 PM UTC
maybe just the present times we live in. May not want to ram war and stuff down peoples necks
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 08:17 PM UTC
Not to mention this other famous documentary, "Uncommon Valor" hosted no less than Gen. Holland "Howlin' Mad" Smith himself on the exploits of the USMC.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 08:39 PM UTC
I guess they're all over on satellite. Our satellite system here has a couple of channels, True and Action, that show some of these old classics. I've seen The Blue Max, Anzio, Hell is for Heroes, Northwest Passage, and Combat all on one of these two channels. Also movies like They were soldiers, Blackhawk Down, Enemy at the Gates, Windtalkers, U-575, and others. Forget about "regular" TV, they're too busy showing junk like "Amish in America" a new "reality" show about young Amish experiencing the "English" world. Thank goodness for satellite, I'd give up buying models, a little, if I had to just to not have to watch regular TV.

Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 489 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 11:06 PM UTC
It's really a shame that the local programming has become so bad. Around here, Sat. night was great for old 1940's and 1950's horror. There were also some good old war movies too. Now it (local, not network) has become infomercials trying to sell me the latest work out fad, stuff for my feet or how to get rich quick. I won't even get into the network programs.... I guess the local stations make more money selling the time for the infomercials than they would selling commercial time during a movie. Now we are stuck with that.
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 410 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 02:01 AM UTC
Some friends and I were talking about this same topic the other day. TV now does suck. Besides some good stuff on History Channel and Discovery Channel and of all things PBS (Public Broadcasting) I don't usually find myself watching anything else. I put the blame on reality TV shows. I think the fad will eventually die because nobody is watching these things anymore. I've played video games with better plots than some of these shows. That's why I just stick to the good ol' computer for my entertainment needs.