TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Dog Soldiers on Sci-Fi channel
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 06:37 PM UTC
Hey guys, just discovered that the movie Dog Soldiers is on the Sci-fi channel today (Sunday) at 2 PM Central time. It is one excellent flic with some neat plot twists.
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2004 - 12:19 PM UTC
When I first saw the movie, the campfire scene at the beginning got a huge jump out of me...definitely did not see that one coming...and I'm a horror movie junkie!
earwig61
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 188 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 07:28 AM UTC
I saw this post too late! I've been wanting to see this movie ever since the "28 Days Later thread. By the way, i didn't like "28 Days Later". One thing I'm not going to do is rent "Dog Soldiers" at that huge chain video store in town. They're charging me $49.00 for a video game WE RETURNED! .....ooops.....
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 09:31 PM UTC
I ran into a prblem with a movie where they were going to charge me for it. I had returned it and told them to check their shelves. Sure enough, someone put it back on the shelf without checking it in. I don't know how long ago this happened, but you may want to check if someone did that.
earwig61
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 04:38 AM UTC
Thank you Jeff, I think we're going to just make an adjustment. We've piled loads of $ into this chain. The chain in our neighborhood is real snooty, too big for their britches, and this latest incident serves as an opportunity to seek alternatives. The FREE library, comes to mind, and some mail order thing we're going to look into. I'll see "Dog Soldiers" yet. Thanks again.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 06:42 AM UTC
Sci-Fichannel is notorious for showing things over and over again. As I think they just got ahold of this movie recently , it'll appear sometime within the next week or two. Just get a TV guide or week long newspaper printout and check a week or so in advance. I had rented it a couple of weeks before and it doesn't look cut up at all from what I remember on the DVD
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 08:57 PM UTC
Tom - I have Netflix and HIGHLY reccommend it. They have almost everything, and, if you watch a lot of movies, it ends up being considerably cheaper than renting at a store. I spend less than half of what I used to for the same number, and occasionally more. They have a free two week trial and, if you decide it's for you, you can do one of several different rental options (2/week, 3 at a time, 5 at a time, or 8 at a time).
earwig61
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:18 AM UTC
Thank you Steve and Jeff. Someone at work was just telling me about Netflix. He kept calling it Xflix - wonder where his mind is at?
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2004 - 02:24 AM UTC
Me too...they don't have any adult titles...but the military sections (both films and documentaries) are HUGE.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2004 - 05:53 AM UTC
A word of warning about Netflix though, they do start to "throttle" heavy users after about 4-5 months. I'm cancelling this month as I'm seeing major slowdowns on receiving movies and when they mark them received on their end. The DC they use for me has ALWAYS been a one day turn around, now it's 2-4 days both ways. I'm lucky to get 3 movies a week now where I was getting 6 before.

This is a known issue with Netflix on other message boards. I was pleased with them until they started this crap, now with Blockbuster throwing their hat in the ring I think they need to rethink their strategy.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:55 AM UTC
Thanks for the warning Moe...I was considering that and I would have been a HEAVY user
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2004 - 01:28 PM UTC
It wouldn't be a bad idea to use Netflix for a couple of months until they kick in the throttling though Steve. They have a great selection of movies and I would have been happy as a pig in slop if they kept the movies coming the same speed. I live in Allen and the DC I receive from is in Coppell, so there's no excuse for the movies to take 2-4 days to reach me all of a sudden. lol
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 - 10:03 PM UTC
I have been a Netflix member for about two years now and have not had any problems with throttling. I usually have a three-day turnaround time. If I return a movie on Monday morning, I can expect to have another one on Wednesday. It has always been this way. I did notice that if I use a different post office than the one I normally use, this process may take an extra day.
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 11:16 AM UTC
I'm in the same boat as Marty (except I've only been a member for about 3 months). My turnaround is the same. I have had a couple times it was a day or two, however, in all fairness they were on obscure titles. I am what would be considered a heavy user (a movie a day), and sincerely hope the throttling is not going to happen...otherwise I might have to get cranky with thier customer service folks.
earwig61
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 10:26 PM UTC
Wow, caught the end of DOG SOLDIERS and does this movie rock. I've got to rent it, that big rental chain I complained about several weeks ago finally made good. Still have not given netflix a go, maybe some day. From what I saw of DOG SOLDIERS - Campy yet somewhat believable, and some pro soldiers who know how to fight. This movie pukes all over that goofy 28 DAYS LATER movie!
october
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 140 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2004 - 04:21 AM UTC
Nice to read that the USA has been enjoyng a bit of British' tounge in cheek' humour if you like that try Shuan of the Dead, very English but very,very funny.
earwig61
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2004 - 04:40 AM UTC
Very nice to hear from you. I see you like the small scale WWII armor. That is good! So, Shuan of the Dead; I will have to be on the lookout for that as well!
october
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2004 - 05:43 AM UTC
Hi there have you seen the alternative ending of 28 Days Later?, the 'hero' ends up being left dead on a hospital ward by the two girls,sort of how the film started. Still can't make my mind up either its going to be a slow burning classic or a good try that didn't make it.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2004 - 03:08 PM UTC
didn't see the alternate ending, sounds pretty good though. Personally, I really liked 28 Days Later. Still I think the greatest of this type of movie was Lifeforce those dried up husks coming to life and shreiking as they came at you would have been pretty un-nerving
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2004 - 05:19 PM UTC
Loved both 28 days and dog soldiers. I had never heard of the later until I readabout it online here.

Regarding 28 days later ....
I thought it quite amusing/ironic that the only 2 guys left alive in London were two Irish guys Jim and Frank (Cillian Murphy and Brendan Gleeson).
earwig61
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2004 - 11:14 PM UTC
LIFEFORCE and SHUAN OF THE DEAD... Sounds like these are two to take a look at. I guess I just expected too much from 28 DAYS LATER... I hope I can find DOG SOLDIERS today!
october
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 12:12 AM UTC
Thats often the way with films,high hope's of a real classic and then somthing less than satisfying.I blame all the hype that goes with the release.Take Underground,great idea,lots of promise,should have been brilliant,good,but not brilliant and ultimatly dissapointing. It's the same with Aliens V Predator,too interested in making money from the younger audiance through games marketing in my opinion.It's often obscure films like Brotherhood of the Wolf which really suprise and turn out to be the most enjoyable.
earwig61
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 04:04 AM UTC
You're so right. ALIENS VS PREDATOR was another huge disappointment for me. What really bugged me about 28 DAYS LATER was it coined itself as the scariest movie ever made, and I believed it!