_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Resin prep
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
entire network: 705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 04:49 AM UTC
Hi guys, I just got my first all resin kit. I would like to know how to prep it - put it in some bleach or just wash it with soapy water? Any advice would be appreciated.

P.S. I've used bleach on some small resin parts before but wasn't satisfied with the result.
earwig61
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 188 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 06:57 AM UTC
I can only draw from the one armor resin kit I completed about a month ago. All I did was wash in water with dish washing soap, lightly scrubbing with a soft toothbrush. I prepped with a good hardware store spray primer, and then I can sprayed larger parts and brushed smaller parts with testors. The paint adhered just fine and I was able to sand in and dullcote for a suitable weathering effect as I desired. I thought it came out good and the guy who bought it really liked it. That's my one experience for what it's worth.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 08:31 AM UTC
I prep mine with metholated spirits and a soft tooth brush and cloth. This removes any mold release agent and dirt. I then make the major assembilies and prime before painting. I also have not problems with paint not adhearing using this method either.

Metholated spirits evaporates completely leaving no residue at all on plastic or resin parts and can also be used to wipe fingerprints off a finished paint job as well
Paul
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 08:54 AM UTC
Thanks guys. Roo, by Metholated spirits do you mean like nail polish remover?
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 10:25 AM UTC
No! metholated spirits is like Kerosine but without the oil base.

Nail polish remover is acetone based and will melt plastic and resin.

The type I use is called metholated spirits and it is clear purple in color and a distictive odour.

Sorry can't be clearer then that but maybe it is know as metho or similar over there. Maybe one of the others could help clarify what I mean.
Paul
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 10:35 AM UTC
Thanks for clearing that Roo, I'm not good with big names :-) .
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 902 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 11:10 AM UTC
Paul I use Dawn dish detergent and scrub with an old tooth brush. I build the sub assemblies and attach as much as I can. I then prime with a white or light grey primer. I find foquils light grey figure primer works the best for me.

A note about drying ...... I dry my parts in a screened strainer. I don't lose them that way.
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,009 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 11:47 AM UTC
AHHH but your all forgetting the most important step... YOU have to sip a wee dram' O Glenfiddich or some other Single Malt It is the only way to appease the resin god's.
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 01:30 PM UTC
Paul & Roo

Good old Metho or methylated spirits I think is an Australian only name. I know our trans-Pacific cousins call it something else - there was a big discussion on RMS about this a few months ago.

Metho is 96% ethanol with a purple/blue dye usually added so that people don't drink it in error as drinking it will kill or lead to permanent blindness. Although there are a few disreputable shopkeepers that have bottles in the fridge for the alcoholics.

Paul, it is sold is Australia in supermarkets in the cleaning goods - so you may have some equivalent in the Ukraine.

Anyway it is a lovely aroma when using it to clean up.

Brian
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 02:42 PM UTC
Known as 'meths' or methylated spirits in the UK as well.
I don't usually find the need to wash parts, although I probably should. I just prepare and assemble the parts, then prime with an automotive primer (red oxide or grey depending on the finished colour)- sticks to anything.
Paul
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 05:28 AM UTC
Thanks for your replies guys. I think I'm just gonna use dishwashing soap for this one and hope that it doesn't fall apart.
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2004 - 11:25 PM UTC
I bought a cheap ultrasonic jewelry cleaner with a 50% off Michaels coupon. I use it with simple soap and water and let it rip.

Sealhead
 _GOTOTOP