_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
What happens to your finished models??
Bishop
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 12:47 PM UTC
Im pretty new at this hobby, and this site...but I have to comment on one thing I have noticed. Some of you hard core modelers turn out quite a few kits. And a some of you turn out some pretty big models, especially some of the dios I've seen. Soooo....what do you do with them when your finished?? Does every room in your house have walls lined with shelves that are filled with past projects?? Or do they just end up in the back of your garage? Just a thought....considering I already have about 20 unbuilt kits and am quickly running out of room to display them!
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 12:53 PM UTC
Until I have the money and time to finish up a room in my attic, all my finished models get packed away into cardboard boxes and go down to the basement. Hopefully this will not last long. I hope to have the 'hobby room' done sometime next year.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 01:03 PM UTC
Well,when I finish a kit,I bring it to the LHS,and he has a display case to put them in.Its good for buisiness,you can see what you can get from a kit.
At home,the latest go on shelves that I have in my model building room,nad anything they replace,gets an IMEX clear case,and cellar storage
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 01:12 PM UTC
soon all mine wil be on permanent display at one of the local museums here who have a small but excellent display of military related items
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 1,017 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 02:46 PM UTC
I keep mine in my small model room (5'by6' closet) I by cheap fish tanks turn them upside down to protect my work the only thing is you have to build the base of youre dio to fit the tank but they work pretty well for display cases. But believe me I dont have to much room left . :-)
Leopold
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 446 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 03:28 PM UTC
i chuck them into the dustbin if i am not sastisfied with them
russ
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 432 Posts
KitMaker Network: 57 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 04:52 PM UTC
I have recently bought 2 glass display cases from a guy at my local model club as he had another one made and it has tidied up my whole study.
Well worth getting.

SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 05:13 PM UTC
they're holed up in a box right now

hopefully i can get a display shelf next year or maybe sooner
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 05:17 PM UTC
hey anyone ever think on building his/her own display case...INSTEAD of using fish tanks ( smart idea tho)
we have plenty of plexiglass at school and once hte year is over teacher gets rid of it so i can build my display case long live hot glue

i usualy build a dio for it, store it somewere and after a while whe na read about anotehr tequnique for dios, adn i run out of models to do( pretty often....)i take my dio apart, clean the kits, re-paint, and re-build a dio and so on.... if i dont liek the results, i either start over again or thro it away( which is usualy because i ahte my airbrush, i had to buy a new one due to technical prblems and since my budget is close to 0$ well all i could afford was that cheap airbrush kit they sell at walmart fro 30 bucks... which is only temporary )

Frank
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 1,036 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 06:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I keep mine in my small model room (5'by6' closet) I by cheap fish tanks turn them upside down to protect my work the only thing is you have to build the base of youre dio to fit the tank but they work pretty well for display cases. But believe me I dont have to much room left . :-)

So What you have there mi amigo, are "tanks" in a Tank.

mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 1,036 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 06:55 PM UTC
I have some of my models at my home in the Philippines displayed on a open cupboard. I'm planning to have a glass cupboard to keep the dust and my kids away.

And since I work most of the year in Saudi Arabia, most of my models are on shelves running along the length of my room.

A couple are on the floor lying in ambush with camouflage blending well with my carpet pattern. Four tanks and a platoon of figures are in boxes waiting to go "back to the world".

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 07:38 PM UTC
I have one of the IKEA cabinets with glass doors. Suits all the other furniture in the living room, so its perfect. Well worth the price. All my models are on display and are pretty dust and child free. It has come to the time though, when I need to buy an extra shelf or remove some of the earlier pieces. The first few dios I made, I will probably break up and keep whats salvageable. That should work for another 3 years of models. After that, who knows!
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,255 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 08:20 AM UTC
For my noncommissioned pieces that I keep, I donate them to the local High School, Middle School, Colleges History Teacher in the area for use or display in their room or library. (I do this even now that I have changed careers and become a High School History Teacher myself) Great way to help teachers and to teach young people about history and modeling.

John
www.johnneill.com
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 08:54 AM UTC
LOL.... having entered my second childhood, I shoot them with a .22 LOL, or put in firecrackers....... LOL LMAO

Well, now that I got everyone in heart failure......
I'm really only getting back into finishing models. got lots in the paint locker, but only finished one M1A1, and a small mortar kit in the past 5 years. Living in a small 3 room apartment, doesn't leave a lot of room for large Dioramas, but I personally feel each one should be on a base, it not only presents the model better, but also adds a little more protection to them. I actually have a small knick knack cabinet for them, it's rather bare right now, but it will probably be over flowing soon with all the campaigns I have signed up for.
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 09:37 AM UTC
well,so far the only room in my flat that doesn't have models in it is the bathroom and that won't be long hehe.I'm seriously considering moving to the garden shed to make more room,especially when (and if) I get my Leopold finished.
Pete :-) :-)
jw73
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Zachodniopomorskie, Poland
entire network: 148 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 09:44 AM UTC
I have 35 models 1:35 and 5 figures 1:16. All stand on book-shelf.
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 10:31 AM UTC
Mine are on display in the dining room shelves and in my model room.

She who must be obeyed is bugging me about the shelf space in the dining room, so I am assembling the materials to build an enclosed display in my modeling room.

It's gonna have to be a pretty big one as I still have some of my first models from 1970.
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 10:43 AM UTC
All my models go to the customer who has commissioned the work or to the Transportation Museum at Ft. Eustis Va.
Bishop
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 10:59 AM UTC
Glad to hear some of the ideas you guys came up with, and I knew at LEAST one person would mention fireworks...heh!
phoenix-1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 629 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 02:48 AM UTC
Since my modeling skills are not as up to par as I would like, I usually build a model as would anyone else. Later on, after anywhere from 3 months to 3 years, I usually "rebuild" the kit, ranging from a new paint job to adding all new detailing. It helps to improve my modeling skills by improving my skills in average areas and honing them in proficient areas. There are those models that are beyond repair that can take a final "test flight" down the basement stairs though.
Kyle
Colt45
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 53 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 04:16 AM UTC
I have kits that I built 25 years ago, but sooner or later, you run out of room. I build them, display and enjoy them and eventually go on the auction block at EBay. This way, modelers that have not acquired the advanced skills can enjoy a really nice model in their collection.
druid
Visit this Community
Finland
entire network: 211 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 05:24 AM UTC
We finally got some shelves and cabinets for the new living room. That means that my stuff will now be displayed behind glass doors in the living room also receiving some light from the spots in the ceiling. It's the most dustproof and feline-resistant solution I could think of and certainly beats the normal closet I had to use before this.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 06:47 AM UTC
Well my models take a long trip around my house first when finished they get put on the top shelf of my display case in the living room ...in this display case there is room for about 4 kits per shelf and with three shelfs that means I have about 12 kits in there ...As I add one to the top shelf the others get moved along and I take one out at the bottom ...This kit then goes to a smaller display case in the dining room ...I keep 5 or 6 in there ...The Karl kinda takes up alot of space ...when this gets too cluttered they are brought back down to my model room where they await disassembly either by time or because I need a piece for a new project... Hey I still have my good old M4A1 by Monagram on my shelf ...So with an average of about 3 kits a year they, last quite a while before returning to my scrap box.

Rick
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 10:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

before returning to my scrap box.

This is the most insane thing. You should sell them on e-bay. Of the work I have seen from you bear, they should bring in enough for some nice new aftermarket gear or at least abase kit of your choice.
Im sure somebody would make a resonable offer.
It cant be much fun breaking up a model that took youmonths to build!
 _GOTOTOP