Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Korean War?
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 02:17 PM UTC
Thats the spirit!
cheers
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 489 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 03:17 PM UTC
If it starts after Incoming! I am in. I am putting together an idea already.
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 1,036 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 05:37 PM UTC
I'm gonna finish my first entry to "move it" this week. One less in my assembly line.

What kind of field artillery did the Americans use in this war. The most common one at least.

Can you enter your model in two campaigns? For example I made this arty dio for the Korean War and I would also enter it in the Incoming campaign.

Let's try enlisting other members.

lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 06:29 PM UTC
Ok then thats 1 more participant, thanks 19K!
but we still need 3 more.
Mondo i dont think you can do that, im not sure but it just doesnt sound like it would be allowed.
ok i will go through the rules and regs and the basic outline. As soon as we have 3 more people i will write up the proposal and send it in.

Campaign Name:
Remember Korea

Dates:
Starts-Ausgust 2004
Finishes-November 2004

Scale: any scale will be accepted

Classes: Participants can choose to build Single Models (ships, Aircraft, Armour), Vigenettes, Single figures bigger than 1/35, and Dioramas

Diorama Size: there is no size limit to the Diorama's, it can be anything from a tank with a few troops, to a full fledged battle.

Historical Accuracy: All entrys must Include a Vehicle, Aircraft, Ship or Soldiers froma country that DID participate in Korea, these coutnrys were part of the UN, they are:
Australia
Belgium
Canada
Columbia
Denmark
Ethiopia
Greece
Italy
Netherlands
Norway
South Africa
United States
United Kingdom
Turkey
Thailand
Sweden
South Korea
Phillipines
New Zealand
Luxemburg
India
France

You may also build that same classes of items, but used by the Communist Forces, these were:
North Korea
Soviet Union
Peoples Republic of China

Your entry MUST be from one of the countrys named, if the coutnry wasnt named, it wasn't in Korea.

Completion: All participants MUST show at least 1 photo of their work BY the completion date, if you are not going to finish on time, but will be done within a few days after the completion date, then you must let me know, and i will make an exception Everyone will recieve a ribbon on completion

Contest Element: Their will 1 winner chosen from each of the categorys, Single Models, Vigenettes, Figures, and Dioramas, these winner will recieve a special ribbon

well, what do you guys think, sound like fun?
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 10:30 PM UTC
Comon guys? 3 more people to make this happen
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 01:48 AM UTC
lestweforget,
I am most definitely in!! Mondo, you stay away from making those DML goodies (just kidding.) I'm chanting - 3 more people, 3 more people, 3 more (you get the idea!) I getting excited here.
Ciao for now
Rob
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 513 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 03:13 AM UTC
Go on then. It's the Tamiya Centurion for me!

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 07:31 AM UTC
Not a totally forgotten war. Here is my Korean USMC dio, "Road to Hungnam" Enjoy!

2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 08:40 AM UTC
Count me in. I will probably do a large figure or a T-34/85 that I have laying around. Good idea!
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 09:06 AM UTC
Rats-On-A-Stick! Why didn't I see this Thread before I passed up the 1/2 price Walker Bulldog @ HobLob?!?
Oh, Well- If anyone's interested, FineScale Modeler devoted an entire Issue to this in July 2000. Cookie Sewell(who else?) has an exhaustively detailed 2-page list of Korean War armor (along with specific kits to use) on pp.34&35,Followed by Paul Boyer's no-less-exhaustive Aircraft listing on pp.36&37. I would scan & post these but my Scanner is still inop. I can however Copy & snail mail if there's an interest. PM me if so...
I can't promise anything, but if I can arrange things well enough, I MAY be able to contribute an old Monogram F-82 twin 'Stang to this Campaign(Raised panel lines...the Horror...the Horror...)
Keep us posted on the status!
Elad
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
entire network: 458 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 09:36 AM UTC

I know this is OT but this thread reminded me of an old movie I once saw on TV, it was called "The Bridges of Toko Ri", about the Golden Dragons squadron of the USN flying a bombing raid against bridges vital for the North Korean supply lines.

I just wish there was a decent 1/48 Banshee and I would have jumped on the Korea wagon too.
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 09:47 AM UTC
Elad- I'm not sure of the Quality or even if it's OOP, but according to my (abovementioned) list, Hawk models produced a 1:48F2H-2/2P. If Boyer is recommending it, it must have SOME redeeming feature...
p.s.- you wouldn't happen to know a lady name of Sharon Batz, used to work in the Tel Aviv Hard Rock Cafe, would you? :-)8
BY the way, Elad, Welcome to the Big A! Glad to have ya!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 10:30 AM UTC
You can count me in, if it begins after Incoming, and move it ends.
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 11:29 AM UTC
ALRIGHTY THEN!
looks like we have more than enough people to start this thing up!
sending in campaign proposal today, should start in august, and finish November, cheers guys, thanks alot, i know this is going to be great
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 11:40 AM UTC
I'm in for a 1/16th figure as well. I have a second Chosin Marine I need to build (see my gallery for the BAR gunner).

Great Idea, looking forward to it.... I have no issues if the date moves later OR the build time is enlongated.

Mondo: DML has released 2 sets of 1/35th figures. Marines at Chosin and Army troops at the Pusan Perimiter. I don't know their status... They also at one time had a set of North Koreans

SOL also has this set: http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=SL3009

FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 11:54 AM UTC
Hhhhhmmm Ok

Through all the business I have seem to have Missed this thread.
Looks like a nice campaign to me.. I know not that much of the Korea campaign and was a little surprised that the dutch had groundforces during Korea... I knew the navy was there.. If I have the time I will join in but sadly I can`t say that fir sure yet.. You hear more from me later

lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 11:59 AM UTC
Cheers Bob, will await your decision
Good on ya Porkchop glad to have ya with us
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 12:09 PM UTC
Ok guys, Campaign Submission form is IN, now we just allow at least 2 weeks to see if this is all gonna happen (im sure it will, as you all seem pretty eager, i know i am )
cheers guys, thanks again
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 01:37 PM UTC
Before it's too late, I'll jump onboard as well. I saw a documentary on the Discovery Times Channel not too long ago and it started spinning images of a dio in my head. This campaign could help me get those images out of my head and into reality.
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 03:53 PM UTC
G'day War-Machine, glad to have ya behind the idea, but i want to remind everyone that right now thats all it is, although i have sent in th submission, for whatever reason, it may be turned down, but fingers crossed hey!
cheers
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 05:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

G'day War-Machine, glad to have ya behind the idea, but i want to remind everyone that right now thats all it is, although i have sent in th submission, for whatever reason, it may be turned down, but fingers crossed hey!
cheers

He,he. Kinda proud of myself giving you the idea for a camapign. Didn't realize you were that determine till you sent me a PM. Good luck mate.

I'm planning to kit bash some figures to match PEFToK ground forces. I have two dios in mind. One is of our motorized infantry trying to break through to relieve the besieged Glosters or of an ambushed platoon on trucks which left only one survivor. Now where am I going to get mangled bodies and enough supplies of BARs'?

mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 01:48 AM UTC
I think I'm posting too much but I found this link and it's the best that I've looked at so far.

http://classroomclipart.com/cgi-bin/kids/imageFolio.cgi?direct=History/United_States/Korean_War&img=27

I've collected quite a lot now. There are some very dramatic pictures here. Especially of a G.I. looking down at his dead comrade with a dead Chinese/Korean guy nearby. It's a vignette by itself.
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 678 Posts
KitMaker Network: 194 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 02:28 AM UTC
I have been trying to decide what to work on after I finish my Kelly's Heroes diorama. Count me in on this one, although I would not be too upset if the start date is moved back somewhat.

Keith
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 06:08 PM UTC
Y'all could enlist now in the campaigns forum! It's still under approval mode. Let's get it on. :-)
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 06:18 PM UTC
YAHOOO!!! mondo im just damn glad you gave me the idea! cheers mate, a BIG cheers, this is gonna be great!