_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Hail and (Prehaps) Farewell!
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 07:31 AM UTC
Well, I just got back from the HobbyLobby 1/2 price sale, and boy am I in trouble! I picked up a Polar Lights Nx-01 for Viper(Y'know that irrepressible urge you have to tear open the polywrap and start checking the sprues as soon as you get it to the car? I repressed it. BARELY.).But that is not my problem. I believe I fell victim to what in the military is known as "Mission Creep". The last Tamiya Willys MB (which wasn't even on the shelf when I went on fri... ) Kind of jumped into my hands . I figured, heck it's just 8.50USD, can't hurt. Then I noticed the US infantry weapons kit- might need that for a tribute Dio I've been planning for the 442'd in Italy... Hey, I neede a German MG team so they'd have someone to fight... A barrel set for them to hide behind... The new U.S tank Crew set, just in case- I mean, it was only 1.50USD...
You see where this is going? SWMBO( :-)8 ) Will NOT be happy! Hmm, maybe I can convince her that I bought them for one of you guys, and you backed out while I was at the store! Yeah! Except... no, that wouldn't work, receipt says 60 day return policy.
Stoopid return policy! Ah well, It's been nice knowing all of you- A seven months pregnant mother of a three year old isn't always known for her restraint & rational actions...
p.s.- but I die happy, knowing I got 50 bucks worth of good plastic for just 25! :-) :-)
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 07:41 AM UTC
I feel your pain, SWMBO is out of town right now, but I better not buy anything, lest the questions start with "and what did you buy while I was gone?" and I give the wrong answer. :-)
LogansDad
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 07:48 AM UTC
Chuck- Since I'm probably a goner, anyway, go pick out a few pretties and then tell her " It was this Logansdad jerk! He told me to buy the1:32 super hornet for him- Then he got offed by his Wife! :-) :-) ! Oh- then you could tell her that now you HAVE to build it, like in honor of my passing! Ah, heck - I'm doomed...
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 07:51 AM UTC
Ah! You haven't learned the necessary sneak-it-into-the-house-unnoticed techniques yet. Here is what you do:

1) Keep the stuff in the trunk of your car under some other junk until you are home alone and can sneak it in.

2) Put in in the garage behind the lawn mower. SWMBO will probably never think to look there

3) Come home and pretend you need to go to the bathroom really, really badly and run past your wife. Once you are in the house and out of sight, stash your kit some place where it will be safe for a little while.

If you have a basement, set aside a few inconspicuous boxes for your secret stash. Make them look like they are full of junk and whatnot.
CRS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 07:54 AM UTC
Logansdad - Oh yeah that would work, NOT!!! My Wife has a phrase "You don't have enough time left to build all the model you have!". I am sure that means if I buy anymore she'll kill me. (whispered - I sneek a few in now and then ) :-)
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 07:58 AM UTC
If you can't pay the price, you shouldn't roll the dice dude..... there's only one solution that can make you the happiest man on earth....

throw in another 25 bucks and buy the wife something nice......

Oh and if that doesn't work, you can always.....huh....what receipt.....where has it gone....huh, no returning without receipt......

You can choose....option one is a wonderful night in bed with the mrs. (sleeping offcourse)

or

Option to.....well do the words sofa and blanket ring a bell.

It'll cost you another 25 bucks dude
CRS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 08:10 AM UTC
Ah Hell she wouldn't notice one or two more.

One advantage of not being too organized!!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 08:34 AM UTC
Personally I'm a firm believer in the "Come home and pretend you need to go to the bathroom really, really badly and run past your wife. Once you are in the house and out of sight, stash your kit some place where it will be safe for a little while" technique. I'll be using it tonight to sneak my Pershing, M4 Early production Sherman, and M41 Bulldog, that I got just for fun, past SWMBO. This is the first time in a long time that I had money, Hobby Lobby had stock of what I wanted, and my car handled the drive to the closest Hobby Lobby. I've also given my oldest daughter, who now has a job and owes me for both my last birthday and Father's day, a list of what else I want. Let's see if she comes through.

A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 236 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 08:53 AM UTC
If you die can i have your stuff
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 09:01 AM UTC
Step 1: Stack boxes, new in the middle, slightly disheveled.
Step 2: Apply dust and debris over new boxes.
Step 3: Pray

As you seem to be getting desperate, take up camoflauge as a hobby.
LogansDad
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 09:03 AM UTC
You kidding? My Insurance is so lousy she'll probably be back here tomorrow auctioning my entire stash! Maybe I'll slightly modify Halfyank's Idea- " honey, these are my Father's Day gifts from Logan! And we can use them as a homeschool history Project..." Hey this might work! Thanks, guys! :-)
Hiram_Sedai
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 201 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 09:16 AM UTC
You are all teaching me some very bad things!!

You the man, LogansDad. I've gone through that same sort of reasoning while in a model shop. I'll get this vehicle, and oh, it needs some people and some sandbags etc. Of course, I feel the righteous indignation because of all the pretty car models when I feel that there should be much, much more tank models.

I miss the days when I could wander into a model shop with my paper route money and buy a couple models for $2.00 each. I would wander back home with my $10.00 Enterprise carrier and a couple planes and some tanks. Good times, then.

LogansDad
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 09:23 AM UTC
We must've grown up at the same time, Mike. I remeber going into a woolworths downtown(my "LHS"at the time) and picking up no less than 4 Revell biplanes for 6.00USD. Then one day I spotted the old Italieri priest for... wait for it... $4.50!!
Sigh...
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 09:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I remeber going into a woolworths downtown

I can't remember what I paid for kits back then, but I certainly remember Woolworths as the supplier for some of them. Also Quigley's, they were a kind of "notions" store, that was within walking distance. The only price I can ever remember paying is .15 cents for the little square testors paint bottles.

Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 09:51 AM UTC
I'm toast. Can I hide some of the kits I bought today at one of your houses?

Sealhead
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 10:04 AM UTC
I am fortunate in that I don't have one of those anymore. Me, I picked up the 350 scale Bismarck from AHM, the Tamiya Ardennes King Tiger and a German winter uniform set of figures. TTL was $54. Now could you imagine trying to hide all that someplace where it wouldn't be noticed. Oh and I don't think there is much left in the store. I think I helped/hurt hobby lobby...I got 10 other of their kits sold as there were several kids around with Dads and I recommended a lot. Still think they have an early Sherman, Pershing, Panther G, Bradley and Willis jeep left. Oh and one of the 350 Scale Bismarcks and 32nd scale HOrnets. WOW is that expensive 75 after discount !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and tons of the Monogram classic 48th scale aircraft lke B-29, B-25, P-61 and cars.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 10:25 AM UTC
You have got the perfect opportunity to turn this around in your favor....You tell her that you had to go there for your friends and while you were there ...hey you saw something you wanted for fathers day ..Now you saved her all that trouble of thinking up what to get you .. Unless your kids are too old and buy you their own presents then just say your kids told you to pick out something for the occasion....WHAT?? it could happen! :-)

Rick
p.s. I work nites ..wife works days ..I got lots of free time to bring the stash in with out anyone knowing...hehehe
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 10:27 AM UTC
and no one mentioned trucks once

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 10:59 AM UTC
LOL! This thread is hillarious! :-)

I once heard about a guy who hid new kits in several coolers out in his garage. The plan worked great until his wife loaned the coolers to a neighbor who was going on a camping trip ... "Gee, honey, I wonder how those got in there .... gulp!
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 11:24 AM UTC
Hey Logan....

Just sent you a PM....check you PM Mail!!
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 249 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 01:33 PM UTC
im gonna be in the same boat. i started out with just grabbing the 105mm sherman, then i thought i need some more of the odd balls, so i grabed the Marder III, and then i started calculating the price in my head of the 1/2 off, and i kept placing them on hte pile with the thought, "man this is only (price)" i ended up comin home with five models. Marder III, 25pdr field gun with the tractor, 105mm sherman, M3LEE, and a jeep for good measures. and i want more, the HL up here in Lafayette Colorado is stocked to the teeth, there were at least 7 King tigers and a whole list of others, i almost decided to pick up a few of the winged things to make sure i got my bases covered. he he he he,
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 06:19 PM UTC
Hmmm u got some serious talk going on there guys.
At first please rephrase the SWMBO thing for me ( i know were talking for the other halve) so i know what the exact stuff is .
Second the problem always lays at the point of inserting the new boxes in the LZ. So u have to get them into packs of 1,2 or max 3. Cause more boxes its difficult to get em in with out noticing.
When the stuff is in the LZ , u take it in the secured area in between the stash , from oldies. I frequently am asked . "What are all these boxes all of them have stuff in it? " i say " no theyre old boxes from models builded so that i dont throw them here and there" this is a good question that wont let more search on the theme usually .
One more good chance was in the recent Athens Historical Miniature International Show , where i gained some prize for one of my figures and they gave me as reward 4 metallic figures . So i told my wife now u see that 4 fro free i can buy 5 more of this cheap Polish brand that is a bargain only for the Contest days ok? And was approved in between the pleasure of taking the prize..

Lots of techniques needed to be used in this batlefield ..
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 07:04 PM UTC
The ultimate solution...find a woman who loves to build models...I know their out there, but they are far and few between....ahhhhh, what a dream that would be....
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 08:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

and no one mentioned trucks once

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

I found a place in the UK that still had the Italeri C15 in their advert, so I actually got approval from The Boss to buy one, while I was on the 'phone the guy said 'I actually have two...........'... what the hell it's Father's Day here on the 20th, I'm getting this from the kids OK.........
 _GOTOTOP