_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
plywood
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 08:11 PM UTC
Hi again just me with another question. Okay I want to some time soon do my duce that I drove in Korea,Well it had plywood back on it,least as I remember it was plywood. I was the company hauler of water buffalo and duffle bags. Sure had a lot of Buds Okay besides using plastic do you all think I could use this stuff they sell for doll houses,a hobby shop I go to has a bunch of real thin wood. How about like cutting it into scale pieces after constructing frame which I will do from memory. then applying it and shooting paint on.Instead of the scribing all the grain and stuff on the plastic sheet. photo can be found in my photos darn webshots won't allow direct link Jeff's pics
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 08:27 PM UTC
Are you talking about one of the unauthorized, field applied roofs or sheds on the back of the truck? The doll house stuff could work, arts and craft stores also sell thin wood laminates for inlaying.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 08:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Are you talking about one of the unauthorized, field applied roofs or sheds on the back of the truck? The doll house stuff could work, arts and craft stores also sell thin wood laminates for inlaying.

No I think it was made this way.It is plwood, pic has wood buckling at front behind cab.But you are most likley right field mod.
Darn webshots
LUCKYBULLET
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 44 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 08:42 PM UTC
maybe you can use balsa wood?? just my .02 cent
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 09:18 PM UTC
Balsa is too "fuzzy", but in craft stores, there are thin sheets of wood about the size of Evergreen Sheet Styrene. I bet that stuff would work.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 10:21 PM UTC
I've used coffee stirrer sticks in the past with a lot of success - you may consider that for your plywood chores...

Gunnie
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 09:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Balsa is too "fuzzy", but in craft stores, there are thin sheets of wood about the size of Evergreen Sheet Styrene. I bet that stuff would work.

Right forgot my old days of building those R/C planes scale plywood from Finland birch 1/64 looks like it will work just fine. Now I just have to find out if this was field done or military issue thing.
Thanks guys we may have it
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 08:12 PM UTC
Those plywood covers were done by unit personnel and the quality depended on who the first sergeant had building it. I believe that PS Magazine (remember Connie & Bonnie?) had the plans for a HMMWV one when the vehicle first came out. Must have been in 1989 or so. Duece and a half build ups were customized to fit the user. Our supply deuce was set up differently from the tool truck or PLL truck.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 08:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Those plywood covers were done by unit personnel and the quality depended on who the first sergeant had building it. I believe that PS Magazine (remember Connie & Bonnie?) had the plans for a HMMWV one when the vehicle first came out. Must have been in 1989 or so. Duece and a half build ups were customized to fit the user. Our supply deuce was set up differently from the tool truck or PLL truck.

Thanks Rob it was a good job. Most likley local Korean guy that Plt Sgt had do it. Way back!!
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 03:54 AM UTC
hobby stores sell those ultra-thin wood strips. They are often balsa, though. You may try those wooden spatulas that the doc uses to keep you tongue down while he peers down your throat ?
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 08:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hobby stores sell those ultra-thin wood strips. They are often balsa, though. You may try those wooden spatulas that the doc uses to keep you tongue down while he peers down your throat ?

Thanks General going to use the aircraft grade plywood that R/C folks use for skinning those planes 1/64" can't get smaller then that. Looks really scale

How is that BIG Duce coming along took a Look and it was looking pretty good.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 10:14 PM UTC
Ok, in the train section of the store i work at has scale lumber for the layouts. I cant remember the brand name. Visit the train section. They have different scales and diffeent shapes and sizes. Do believe that they have HO size 2X4's. Check it out, it might be the thing your looking for. On the note about the balsa wood. If you seal it with balsa sealer, you wont get the fuzzies you are all talking about. I used some for the ply wood we would carry for our fox holes and bunkers.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 07:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok, in the train section of the store i work at has scale lumber for the layouts. I cant remember the brand name. Visit the train section. They have different scales and diffeent shapes and sizes. Do believe that they have HO size 2X4's. Check it out, it might be the thing your looking for. On the note about the balsa wood. If you seal it with balsa sealer, you wont get the fuzzies you are all talking about. I used some for the ply wood we would carry for our fox holes and bunkers.

Sounds Good will give it a look.
Thanks
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 03:35 AM UTC
Another source of thin wood is veneer sheets they sell at home improvement centers. The stuff is really thin and you can get it in various sizes of sheets or as a roll. The stuff I have used comes in mahogany, oak, birch, maple, etc., so you should be able to find something with the right grain.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 09:21 AM UTC
That is what I was thinking too Bob. I forgot about this post though. Anyways here's a sampling of the wood veneers made: Veneers
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That is what I was thinking too Bob. I forgot about this post though. Anyways here's a sampling of the wood veneers made: Veneers

This brings up M-577 from viet models. I think the best stuff for scale is the aircraft skins 1/64 of inch will not find anything smaller then that no where . Well maybe paper.
Thanks guys
 _GOTOTOP