_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Kit buying CO-OP 'Members Only' ;-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 02:46 AM UTC
Howdy Everyone,

On another thread, regarding a (what seems like) quarterly 50%-off sale at a store here in the State's called Hobby Lobby. I proposed the idea of creating a kind of ad hoc Model buying CO-OP comprised of interested Armorama members who have these stores nearby them.
It just seems that everytime one of these 50%-off sales comes around and people are bragging about what great deals they've gotten (me included ), many voices are heard lamenting the fact that they have missed out on the sale, or, that they "don't have one of tham thangs" around where they live.......
So, this time, with the advent of this thread hopefully, some or any of the people interested in picking up a few kits, and those interested few who have access to a Hobby Lobby and the desire to help a fellow modeler can use this thread as a 'Clearing House' for requests and potential order-taking.

HTH.

that's all for now.....

Tread.

{EDIT}: Our good member Whiskey has recently informed us that Hobby Lobby will be carrying the new 1/48th scale CH-46 plus a couple of other new items.....unfortunately they won't be on the shelves for this sale......but something to think about fellas.
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 02:51 AM UTC
It could be a good thing if it is manageable. We don't have a Hobby Lobby where I live. I would be interested in taking advantage of some of these sales.
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 678 Posts
KitMaker Network: 194 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 03:15 AM UTC
I am one of those members close to a Hobby Lobby and I would be willing to help out a fellow member. Animal, is there a specific model you are interested in? HL usually has at the store closest to me (at the beginning of the sale) Tamiya: King Tiger Ardennes, Early Sherman, Sherman 105, Panther G late, the British Quad truck and 25 pounder combo kit, Marder III (not the M), the old Panther A, some brick and sandbag sets and the Trumpeter modern armor knock-offs, plus a few assorted other Tamiya kits. It also has planes, but I don't pay much attention to them. A word of caution, for kits like the King Tiger Ardennes, there may only be one in stock.

Keith
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 03:25 AM UTC
I am on it too. Have a Hobby Lobby 3 minutes from the office. I will try to get a list of what they have at my store posted Monday. I will focus on the armor end of it since that is what I build. Maybe someone who builds those winged things will cover that end of it?

Shaun :-)
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 03:27 AM UTC
Sounds cool. It has worked for me before (thanks for the half-track Shaun).
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 03:33 AM UTC
Hobby Lobby is five minutes from my home here in Cincinnati. I'd like to help if I can.
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 547 Posts
KitMaker Network: 268 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 05:33 AM UTC
There are two, yes TWO Hobby Lobbies by me-- I know it is unfair when some people have none, I have two. But I'd be glad to make runs for people during sales!

Sean
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 06:08 AM UTC
Tread( & all the rest), I have an HL 5 mins. from my office. If anyone has a list of what they want, they can PM me and I'll be happy to swing by next Monday and pick up whatever they have in stock. An Idea posted in the previous thread on this subject makes sense, i'll shipon the honor system, just reimburse me at cost. Can't take advantage of this offer myself, as SWMBO has extracted my oath to finish all kits in my current stash before buying more... of course, I never promised anything about scratchbuilding/resincasting :-) he, he, he!
Anyway, just drop me a line, I'd be happy to help
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 07:53 AM UTC
Okay Tread, I hear you! I remember someone doing a favor like this for me not too long ago.

The closest HL I have here is about a 10 hour drive. Far too far.
So, if someone wants to help a fellow out...
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 08:02 AM UTC
What are shipping rates like to Europe from the states? Are they pro-rated so that it would be cheaper to have someone from the eastern side of the US help me instead of more weastern? I'm always in the market for saving money, but just testing the water on this one, not sure if I would save anything in the long run anyway...
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 09:17 AM UTC
I might be able to do it. I just need a little more "funding" :-) . I try and get a list of what my Hobby Lobby has. Thanks for your time.
Ragnar2004
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 213 Posts
KitMaker Network: 68 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 10:03 AM UTC
Hello Everyone,
I have this on Very good authority, friends work at a local Hobby Lobby that starting the week of the 14th of June, there WILL be a 1/2 off sale. I know the ones in my area of Ohio will and I believe this to be chainwide, at least I hope so for everyone else.

You may ask why post this and not keep it to myself, simple. I just want everyone to share in the news and have a fair shot at the kits. I have seen too many people buy up certain kits and to leave others high and dry. So get ready!!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 11:31 AM UTC
I can also help out.

The to list kbm mentioned the ones near me, we've got three, usually have Tamiya's Jeep, the newer version, the duce and a half truck, the kommandur wagon, (sp), the Sdkfz 251, the M3 Lee. the Bradley M2, don't know the kit number but it's the one with the interior. Sometime also the kettengrad.

Ships they carry the MiniCraft 1/350 Bismark, the 1/72 S Boat, a couple of Titanics, some of the 1/700 DML modern warships, and some of the 1/700 US Battleships, like the Iowa class.

Wingy things I know they carry quite a few Minicarft 1/144 planes, B17. B29, C47, the Sacred Cow, etc. I know they also have some of the 1/48 Hasegawa planes like the TBM, B25, both the B and the one with the guns in the nose, the SBD, both the 3 and the 5. I know they have a lot of helicopters now, but I have no idea of the different models.

I know for past experience that it's about $5.00 to ship a early Sherman via Post Office, plus about $1.50 if I can't find a box to fit.

Bishop
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 01:42 PM UTC
Just got back from hobby lobby, heres my list:

Tamiya Armor:
M26 Pershing 41.99
M4A3 Sherman 34.99
Panther Type G Late Version 38.99
M41 Walker Bulldog 11.99
German King TIger Ardennes Front 46.99
M2 Bradley 30.99
Panther 19.99
U.S. M3 Lee MK1 18.99
M4 Sherman early prod. 36.99
German Marder III 37.99
Jeep Willy's MB 16.99
German Steyr Type 1500A Komandeurwagon 29.99

All are 1:35 scale with at least 3 or 4 on the shelf, except the Panther Type G w/2 on shelf. Again, I only took note of the armor section so if there are any planes or whatever you are looking for just ask and I will check. All prices are original so I am assuming final price will be half that plus shipping if you are interested. Let the co-op begin...
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 01:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay Tread, I hear you! I remember someone doing a favor like this for me not too long ago.

The closest HL I have here is about a 10 hour drive. Far too far.
So, if someone wants to help a fellow out...

hmmm I think the nearest one to me is about 24 hours away Ken LOL :-) :-) :-)
fiftycaliber
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 8 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 03:06 PM UTC
I have one close to me but it's pretty weak on the amount of models it has. Every time I go there there is only two models that consistently show which is 3 tamiya sets- ardennes king tiger, jagdpanther and sometimes a panther g. The have a sale but it seems they are only cutting the testors paints and supplies.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 04:56 PM UTC
Alright Fellas,
I, like SonofaVet, live by two HLs and I'll be by BOTH tomorrow. I'll check out the inventories and report back.
My girlfriend works at an office that can ship anything in the cont.U.S. for basically free(to me), and I'll always do what I can for you guys.

Cuhail
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 11:57 PM UTC
I have three Hob-Lobs near my home and in my weekly business drive by several more. I'll help, too.

Sealhead

p.s. We ship from my business everyday by UPS. So, we don't have to get gouged at a UPS retail store. I'm located in Kansas, which is central. Prefer NOT to ship USPS, but will if that's what one of you needs.

Glad to help, as Armorama has helped me so much.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 02:44 AM UTC

As was expected, you fellas have all jumped in with both feet to help out........good on all of you!

Now, how do we get the word out to those who would take advantage of this Co-op?
Just off the top of my head putting Cuhail together with our good Mr.Roo sounds quite logical. Especially since Cuhail has his 'special' shipping deal. Shipping as I'm sure you all know is expensive to Australia (especially way out in the bloody boonies where Mr. Roo has squated!... ). So, that's just an idea.

Below is a map of the states that Hobby Lobby presently has stores located in. They obviously haven't placed any in the coastal states, so maybe some of our members located out of this area could be helped by this co-op?

Gotta get to work......will check back later.

hth.

Tread.

Oh....maybe someone could post a notice in the Sci-Fi Forum regarding this co-op idea. My local HL has the new Polar Lights Enterprise NX-01 on the shelf!!
I've already picked one up (it was mis-marked for I think $13.99) and it's a beaut!!
LogansDad
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 02:56 AM UTC
Tread -
I'll stop by my local HL at lunch today and get back w/a post on what's available. I'll also check on the Sci-Fi kit content, then post that in the apropos forum. Come to think of it, I'll also check on the wingy-thingies & big grey floaties. Any ideas on how to set this up so there's no duplication of effort? I'm eager to help out, but don't particularly want to be stuck w/ a bunch of kits I'll never build...
LogansDad
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 07:21 AM UTC
Here's my List (Mid NC)
1:35 ARMOR (all prices USD before discount)
TAMIYA
Pz V 'G' -40.00
Steyr 1500 -30.00
Pak 40 -7.00
SdkFz251/1 -15.00
M3 Lee -19.00
Pz V 'A' -20.00
M41 -12.00
M4 Early -37.00
M4A3 105mm -35
M26 -42.00
Marder III w/7.62cm -38.00
25 pdr w/Quad tractor -22.00
Konigstiger 'Ardennes' -47.00
M2 Bradley w/ int. -31.00
Acc.
Modern US Army troops -4.50
WWII German MG troops -6.00
WWII US Infantry weapons -7.00
Bricks, Sandbags, JerryCans, Barriers (ea.) -4.50
HOBBYCRAFT
USMC M1A1 -19.00
HMMWV (armored, w/ .50cal) -14.00
M2 Bradley -19.00
Challenger II -24.00
British AS-90 -24.00
Iraqi BMP1 -19.00
Iraqi T-59 -19.00
Iraqi T-72 -19.00
Iraqi 'Fedayeen Technical' (looks like a Gaz mounting a 106mm recoilless?) -24.00
And finally- this is too strange:
AMT 1:25 "Hogan's Heroes Jeep" -12.00. I am not making this up!

Hmm, just noticed, not so different from Bishop...
Ah, well, they're here if you want 'em!
Anyone interested in Wingy-thingies or Grey floaties, Check my post in those forums. Cheers!
FiveOduece
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 159 Posts
KitMaker Network: 37 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 09:01 AM UTC
I know of 2 HL in the Memphis area, I go to one closest to my house. The selection is the same as Bishop and a few trumpter models. They will usually have 3-4 of each model. Of course they have a ton of barricade sets, sandbag sets, US military weapon sets, brick wall sets, german assault sets, gas can sets, 7.5 PAK 40. I will check to see if the 1/2 sale is happening the week of the 14th here as well. If the sale is a national sale then I should have it too..

viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 01:14 PM UTC
I sent Logansdad a PM as I read one of his posts before I saw this one.

I am in Canada...and obvioulsy have no HL here, hell not much of a hobby shop at all really.

I have been buying through Ebay using Postal Money Orders, if anyone is interested in my feedback take a look here:

Viper's Feedback

Just so you know I am good for it!!

Anyway...if anyone is willing to help me out...I would be interested in a PL NX-01 Enterprise, as well if anyone sees one, a Dragon 1/35 Sherman Firefly, depending on the price....I know its half off...but I still have to consider the exchange and the shipping. Its not crazy shipping to Canada, a normal armor kit is usually $6-$7 depending on weight.

Anyway...let me know if anyone is willing to help me out....it would be much appreciated!!!
Bishop
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 04:29 PM UTC
I failed to mention earlier that i did see 2 polar lights enterprise on the shelf at my hobby lobby on thursday...
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 10:11 AM UTC
I did some recon today. It's a nation-wide anniversary sale with many items on sale. You can check after midnight at hobbylobby.com, your Sunday newspaper (if you have Ho-Los in your area), or the store itself. What I found below were all onesey-twosey.

In 1/35th (didn't check planes and boats), there were:
ITEM CURRENT LIST
Steyr 15004 $30
Mutt $11
Jeep $17
7.5Cm German PAK 40 $30
Hanomag SdKfz 251/1 $15
M4A3 Sherman $35

I plan to be there at 9AM when they open because of the meager selection.

Sealhead
 _GOTOTOP