TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Starship Troopers 2
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 02:59 PM UTC
I may be one of the few who liked the first one. I like sci-fi and like ground combat pictures. Combine the two and I'm in hog heaven. So they just released the Sequel. Spent a week bidding on it to no avail. Finally used my discount card and rented it. Now I'm glad I did. If the specail effects and visual had been on a par with the first one I would have been fine (who needs a story line, you just fast forward to the combt scenes). This one was VERY DARK (literally) and the story line was slightly better, but the effects, minimal. Worth a cheapo rental but don't waste money trying to own a copy
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 03:25 PM UTC
Hey, Blaster. I know that sometimes nothing beats a slam-bang shoot-em-up
(especially one w/ Denise :-)8 Richards :-) ), but do yourself a favor. If you haven't yet, read the original novel by Robert A. Heinlein. You'll wonder why they ever made that piece o' crap in the first place. Or why they named it what they did. Not trying to down on ya, just hoping to turn you on to a classic. That and the fact that it's almost midnight and I've been at work since 0730...
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 04:22 PM UTC
i LOVE Denise
and wasnt she stunning in that flick,
also Wild Things

Anyway the book is great
the first movie had a great ship
the Rodger Young
You can get resins versions of it for about $500 totally decked out

The ship that sweet thing drove.
I liked the first one, but the book IS better.

But space marines blowing up bugs
its like my Halo game on the XBox
or ALIENS
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 04:26 PM UTC
I'm with Logansdad on this -- read the Heinlien novel and you'll know why a lot of people were POed by the first movie. I had such high hopes for it when they decided to make it. I even interviewed director Paul Verhoeven as production was beginning and he told me he would only go forward with the project if the special effects were up to the story -- man, the FX were there, but he lost the story from the very beginning.

Heinlein's novel is a great, dark war story set in the future -- you'll also find out where all ideas for armored combat suits came from (and wonder why they are completely absent from the movie). Imagine a single man carrying the firepower of a current division plus nukes. Airborne operations jumping from orbit into a planet's atmosphere. My favorite scene is when the main character, at this point a seasoned veteran of the bug war, runs into a freshly drafted recruit -- his father!

Man, I gotta dust off the paperback and read this one again. It's been at least 15 years since the last time.
LogansDad
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 08:42 AM UTC
Ah, yes, Hollowpoint. Lieutenant Johnny Rico running into the former noninterventionist Father, now a Corporal in the Mobile Infantry. A scene made all the more poignant by its brevity. My favorite, however, is the dpressed and bitter recruit Rico (just about to quit due to the flogging he receives after "nuking" his training squad) reading with disbelief the letter from his former History & Moral Philosophy Teacher- Who happens to be a veteran of the MI himself! Gives me a chill to this day just thinking about it. I think that this concept (H& M.P.) was one of the deciding factors in my enlisting. Not for the 'glory' and 'excitement', but for the sense of honor, duty, and sacrifice imparted by this novel and the Ideals it espouses. I still think H & M.P. should be a required course in our schools, and lean toward the Idea that only those who serve & understand the sacrifices required to gain freedom should have full participation in government. Probably NOT going to be a popular viewpoint, but hey, It's just my .02 USD. Glad to find another fan of The GrandMaster. Salut!
p.s. yeah, fireman, denise is TOTALLY hot
(++) (++)
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 09:14 AM UTC
Duty, Honor ... Planet??!!!??

I've long been a Heinlein fan. Starship Troopers is my fave, but a few other notables include:

The Puppet Masters

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Friday

Job: A Comedy of Justice

and of course, A Stranger in a Strange Land ... anyone grock?

His non-fiction group of essays, Expanded Universe, also had a great infuence on me. I ought to dig that paperback out again and see if it still "clicks" after all these years.
LogansDad
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 09:24 AM UTC
Hollowpoint-"May you always drink deeply."
(I always wanted to hang out with Jubal Harshaw... Now I want to BE jubal Harshaw!)
And as Mycroft Holmes V (Mike) would say- "Man- people are stupid!!"
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 10:59 AM UTC
Emmm... Joe Haldeman's The Forever War ?
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 12:16 PM UTC
Since I enjoyed the first one I will probably rent the second one. I even enjoyed the Rough Necks cartoon on Sci-Fi channel a while ago.
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 02:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

only those who serve & understand the sacrifices required to gain freedom should have full participation in government.

You would alienate a lot of politicians that would have no base if they were only elected by people who knew the true meaning of -
sacrifice
service
responsibility

Therefore -> theyll never allow it !
Lock & Load
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 10:23 AM UTC
i thought thouthg SStroopers 2 was horrible, i mean, i've seen cheeesy movies (sniper, sniper 2 predator....) but this one was just painfully boring, i was actually working on a model while watching it....i'd never rent it again let alone buying it.....
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 11:04 AM UTC
I've never seen Starship Troopers, one or two, mainly because, like others have said, I loved the book so much I figured Hollywood would screw it up. From what I've read elsewhere, it sounds like I was right.

Have you ever heard the story about Heinlein and S.T? He used to write a lot of novels for Boys Life, the Boy Scout magazine. When he wrote Starship Troopers, they didn't accept it, too violent or something. So he said "screw it" and sold it to another publisher and never looked back.

Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 12:12 PM UTC
HE wrote stuff for boyslife??? thats interesting, yes, dont find to much violence in boys life lol
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 09:31 AM UTC
Guys, I read the book before the first movie ever came out. Along with Stranger in a Strange Land, Have also read extensively into Asimov, H.G. Wells, JUles Verne, Edgar Rice Burroughs (Mars and Venus series). So yes I know the classics, But I still loved the first one. Got it on DVD so I usually skip to the scenes of the massive bug attacks because no matter what else, I find them MAGNIFICENT. Never said the movie was great or that the plot was good, just that I like ground combat movies