_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
modeling and wifes
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 554 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 03:18 AM UTC
How come that most of the modelers don't allow their partner to touch any modelingkit that is still in an unopened box. We modificated the whole garage for the hobby of my husband but he makes a mess of the garage, there is no structure, there are kits everywhere, also half build kits etc. but i'm not allowed to reorganize the part of the garage where he keeps all this. He should know that I'm very caring, I even made a website because of his hobby, I came to the KMK event in Geel and I try to stimulate him but he doesn't trust me near his kits but he trusts me his kid, I think the kid is much more important then the kit, can you help me explain because it makes me furius !

The point is, he tells me there is no structure, there is no system, nothing. I'm not planning on opening those kits or throw anything away. I know that he will divorce me as soon as something is missing or broke ;-) Unfortunatelly my husband doesn't trust me enough, that is all i can conclude !
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 03:37 AM UTC
Well I have to agree that he might be a bit over zealous about not letting you touch the unbuilt boxes ,but I do understand a bit ...I remember once building a kit and my mother just wanted to help tighty up the place a bit (and it is true that when I work on my kits it is a mess too) I lost two pieces and had to scrap the model....She meant well but there is a method to our madness and I can find any piece at all under that pile of sprue and tools... Just think of that space as your husbands cave where only he can go and everything will be fine. We all need our little space and usually this is the only space in the house that you women don't get a say in.(color decor etc.)Let him have it.

Rick
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 03:40 AM UTC
i assume you are the angry wife, not mark?

we modellers are a strange bunch, we tend to hoard unbuilt kits in our 'stash' and are often weary of non modellers going near them, probably due to the fragile nature of model kits, both built and unbuilt!

im pretty lucky in the fact that my girlfreind is not interested in the slightest in my models!

cheers

joe
Eagle
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,082 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 03:59 AM UTC
Oh ohhhhh...this is a topic that has Oprah Winfrey and Jerry Springer written all over it

Well, it is said before...we modelers are a strange breed.... hey, I'm a man that is addicted to plastic too... I just can't justify our behaviour...sorry...please just forgive us and Mark too .....

and Mark..... get your behind out of the chair, go to the garage and clean up the mess.... the mrs loves ya and supports ya in da hobby....let's keep it that way... and now start cleaning !
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 04:02 AM UTC
Simply put, because he says so...
Mark
Visit this Community
entire network: 554 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 04:02 AM UTC
Indeed, I'm the angry wife and not Mark but I didn't feel like signing up just for this. He suggested "I'll make a topic of it in the forum and I told him "That is nice, they are all of that rare kind that don't want their wives - girlfriend near those kits!". They probably all throw out their partner if they have to choose "Modeling or partner out ".
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 04:07 AM UTC
I think it comes from most of us having horror stories concerning wifes, children, dogs, cats, whatever, trying to just be "helpful" and smashing our built models. I don't mind my wife touching my unbuilt kits, as long as she puts them back where she found them. Believe it or not there is often method to our madness as to how we put our unbuilt kits. You may innocently want to straighten up and we may spend half a day finding something afterwords.

Since he's got a separate space for his hobby, it might just be best to leave him be and allow him his space. God knows I don't try to interfere with my wife's hobbies of collecting quilts and teddy bears.

BTW, good for you in being so supportive of him that you set up a web page for him.

DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 05:02 AM UTC
Any good relationship is based on mutual trust and respect. My wife can tidy my stuff up if she want's, but doesn't have too because I keep my part of the home in order ( no seperate room!). She can dust them as well, because I trust her not to damage them. Equally I move her collection of Native American figures & artifacts. We respect and take an interest in each others hobbies.
Cactus911
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 06:43 AM UTC
I don't let my wife tidy up my area when it starts getting out of control, but she certainly will let me know when it is _my_ time to do so! Exercise your powers!

Stephen
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 06:46 AM UTC
Mine! MINE! My preciouuuuus...

Actually - my wife has free run in my workspace and collection. She handles whatever she wants because she is careful. She even buys a lot of the kits I have. Not all women are shut-out of the hobby room...

Gunnie
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 06:56 AM UTC
I've only given my wife grief once when I wasn't home and she picked up a model to show a friend of hers. It was loose in a plastic display case and it slid to one end. Luckily nothing was broken.

I appreciate when she shows an interest bu she's also pushing me to finish a kit before I start another or buy another. Mind like a steel trap. She remembers that I've got 5 half started CVR(t)s sitting in a box.

Paul
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 07:24 AM UTC
I think the main reason we men have fits when the wife gets near the modeling table and models on the shelf is that the wives don't understand how fragile the models are or how to handle them.

As an example, I am repairing a Pz1b and Pz1b command tank because my wife dropped a magazine on my modeling table. Right on top of the models. The antennas were snapped off and several small tools were knocked loose.

Also, if my wifecleaned and organized my model room, it would just confuse me because I wouldn't know where every thing was.

My wife and I have an understanding, I will keep my area clean and she will not touch my models.

This deal has been in effect for 39 years and no end in sight!
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 08:02 AM UTC
Hi Donja

Me and the wife have a very amicable understanding. She has absolutely no interest in Plastic models and I don’t dig around in her plants (except where ordered to). I do though have to keep my mess from overflowing into the rest of the house. :-)
Tobar
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 08:48 AM UTC
I can't believe that any woman can be "perfectly clean".... Yes, you may be "tidy" , organized,
and have everything in alphabetically ordered in your own closet...
BUT if your like most women... You probably have a mess some where on you... your purse, make-up draw, dresser drawer,, etc.... you know there is someplace you don't want him to touch...

YOU KEEP YOUR PLANET VENIUS CLEAN AND WE WILL KEEP MARS "MANLY ORGANIZED....... "

:-)8 :-)

EVERYBODY IS HAPPY NOW
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 249 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 01:13 PM UTC
If she does not touch my modeling stuff, i dont touch her scrap booking stuff. lol

she is afraid to go over to my modeling table, to manythings on it

:-)
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 03:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually - my wife has free run in my workspace and collection. She handles whatever she wants because she is careful. She even buys a lot of the kits I have. Not all women are shut-out of the hobby room...

Gunnie

this is the way my wife and I work too. I find it good that she offers constructive critizism on my models as it can only make them (and my skills) better in the long run.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 04:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gunnie

this is the way my wife and I work too. I find it good that she offers constructive critizism on my models as it can only make them (and my skills) better in the long run.

Gotta join the chorus with Gunnie and Roo. I am lucky to have a spouse who is very accepting and supportive of my hobby. She even lets me have a couple display cases in the family room. The other day she came home from a flea market with a nice little case for my figures. She once conspired with a local hobby shop owner to get me the Tamiya Dragon Wagon when it first came out (he even gave her my IPMS club discount!).

I'm pretty territorial about my tools and bench and the whole family knows it. I have one side of the garage for model (and other hobby) storage. There are also three sets of tools in the house: my model tools, my auto and power tools, and the household tools (which everyone can use). If anyone wants anything off my bench -- for a school project or whatever -- they had better ask for permission first and put it back undamaged when they are done. Same with the auto and power tools.

We all share with the cleaning, so if someone is slacking the others will let them know. I've never been told I had to clean up my bench, but I have been asked a few times when I was going to finish a model that had caught the interest of the Household Chief of Staff or one of the kids. I have two daughters and neither is interested in my kind of modeling, but we have built some wicked school projects over the years. My youngest has taken up making jewelry from string -- I have given her a mission to try to make some rope bumpers for my DUKW and with a little trial and error with different types of string, they just might work!
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 04:49 PM UTC
Well, I let my have free access to all my stuff. She doesn't go in there but she has access to it. She even has a few models herself. That she has stated interest in building and I went out and them. She has no patients in shopping for kits. Aside from living in Japan I'm better at speaking Engrish (Japanese combined with English, may also be English that doesn't make any sense) than she. But she is very good at giving the shop owners funny looks when they goof a Phrase or 2. What this boils down to is that there are 2 different types of modelers out there. Ones that trust other in the shop and ones that don't. Try this on for madness. When on Sea Duty (serving on a ship, not a shore facility for those that Don't know) I keep 1 or 2 models on board for those nice long underway periods. Having 10 pair of heethen hand around you models is a REAL walk through the Vally Broken Kits and finger printed Paint Jobs. STUG
GI_Babycakes
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
entire network: 451 Posts
KitMaker Network: 158 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 05:14 PM UTC
well... it is his area. if he is constantly in a rage over not finding this or that, then maybe suggest a clean up evening where you get things sorted. otherwise, let it be.
i wouldnt want my husband touching my beading projects. one wrong flick of the wire and i've got beads spread from here til tuesday. (annoying when i do it, worthy of rage when someone else does) . When ive been in a quilting or sewing mode, the dining room table disappears for weeks.. you're lucky his area is confined to space behind a door.
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 08:08 PM UTC
maybe some severe words but IMHO a modeler doesnt deserve his models if he still doesnt know which one has to come first.my list is
1.Family-wife and kids
2.Friends-internet friends included
3.work-wish i will be retired one day
4.modelling
this list is made for the modelers who has a wife understanding and respecting their hubby's modelling hobby.
I believe Mark will solve the problem soon and i also believe you always know you worth more than KIDS and KITS(even resin ones.LOL) for Mark.on the other side, military modelling is such a hobby than make us so picky, detailist and sometimes paranoiac but believe me we are better than many people in world.
and last thing; your ''modelling and wives'' topic is one of the best topics i have ever seen in Armorama. something like two darlings..a modeler can not live without them and they hate each
maybe it is time to have a forum for modelers wives here in Armoarama so they can talk and see maybe feel better.your problem is not a personal but a worldwide problem.
bestest regards.
it was our honor to have you here.
Leopold
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 446 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 11:11 PM UTC
well, my girlfriend have been understanding too. Although she is a a big modelling fan, she loves cars, so whenever i popped into a model shop she would go over to the cars section and take a look and sometimes giving me comments and stuff. great gurl
SOW1
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 289 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 11:44 PM UTC
I being Stug's wife, am very understanding of his hobby, and yes I have a slight interest in CERTAIN TYPES of models. I must admit though; his thing for tanks drives me up the wall. We have tanks all over the house, and when my nice collector plates, tea sets, or vases from around the world get pushed aside to make room for tanks it really irks me. (ie the curio cabinet and buffet hutch) I do however have my own hobbies other than the slight interest in model sailing ships, airplanes, and figures. I make my own candles, sculpt, and oil paint landscapes as well as wildlife. Which he does not interfere with; though he does at times make requests for particular colors and scents in candles.lol ( anything but cinnamon usually ). So in light of the discussion, I must say that there will always be a method to the madness of his mess in the hobby room, and I prefer not to touch it. Though I will on occasion ask that he pick up the trash off the floor and organize his stacks (numbering near 200). I just wish that he'd help with the rest of the house since we have 4 young children. Yeah right like that's gonna happen! :-)
Aitch
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 138 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 11:56 PM UTC
My wife likes my hobby, I'm at home in the evenings, not drinking at some low life bar somewhere :-)
In the last few months my wife has built two model kits - a Smart car and a Porche 923, as well as do her cross-stitching and sell lots of cosmetics on e-bay. When I tried cross stitching I had to admit defeat She doesn't ask me to tidy my work bench, but all my half finished models are packed in clear plastic boxes stacked up in the corner of the room - that way I can still see them, and they don't collect dust - perhaps you could try suggesting this to Mark..?
Best of luck
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2004 - 12:04 AM UTC
I control a whopping 80 square feet for my "playroom". At, least I got to design it from scratch.
My wife, who is wonderful, contols the remainng 4,920 square feet of the house. Neither one of us has any complaints. Seems fair, doesn't it.

Sealhead
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2004 - 12:38 AM UTC
This thread is too funny. All I have to say is this,
A wife or a girlfriend will get through times of no models way better than models will get you through times with no wife or girlfriend...

Shaun

/calls his wife to her her how lucky he is/
 _GOTOTOP