_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Lazy Paint Dryer
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 09:58 AM UTC
Hi there

Own up... who's lazy? I know I am!

I've read umpteen articles about building paint drying cabinets and always thought... great idea, but not today...

The weather's been pretty damp here lately and my latest paint job really didn't want to dry. Ok, time to finally sort out a drying cabinet...

I wandered 'round the DIY centre looking at wood, getting more and more resigned to building something until a flash of lateral thinking hit me.

Once I'd recovered, I headed to the checkout with the largest, cheapest seed propagator I could find. Ten minutes work to fit a 60w lamp and my paint dryer was ready.

I put in a thermometer to check results... everything settled at a healthy 40%C - just right to "cook" the paint...

With air-vents in the roof, this is a cheap, simple, controllable drying cabinet.

SAFETY WARNING - Don't leave any electrical equipment turned on unattended.

All the best

Rowan
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 12:35 PM UTC
Rowan that is a nice idea. I wonder how long did that finish take to dry. I personaly would like to have something that would speed up the process considerably. Just think of all the coulour combinations on early Aircraft.This could really speed up the process. STUG
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 489 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 02:38 PM UTC
Great idea. I have baked the paint onto brass model train engines in my conventional oven, but never even thought about doing something like this for plastic kits.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 10:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder how long did that finish take to dry. I personaly would like to have something that would speed up the process considerably.

Hi Steve

Well this contaption certainly helps... the original paint was still tacky after two days. Three hours in the "paint propagator" had it bone dry and ready for a second coat.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP