_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
green cutting mats
Captain94
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 239 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 05:27 AM UTC
Howdy, Guys!

Can anyone tell me where to find the green mats I see in many of the pictures of tanks etc?

Are those the self-healing, rubberized, stain resistant, high-tech, just gotta have one mats I have read about?

Any help will be much appreciated!

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 05:30 AM UTC
Wally world should have them..... head to the fabric section!!!!
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 05:47 AM UTC
Staples has 'em too, over by the drafting tools if I remember right...
They are pretty darn tough. I have been trying to destroy mine for about three years with almost no luck.
HTH
Shaun
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 05:51 AM UTC
I have a couple of different sizes from Micro Mark MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Department&ID=27[/url]
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 12:11 AM UTC
On the home page there is a place under supplys called alpine imports you just click on their link , and you can order on line, and if you say you are from armorama, they will give you another 10 % off their prices.
I've got three orders from them and they been real good to deal with. Ask for Brett King so he can set up your discount. Plus they got all kinds of other stuff a modeler can use, I don't know if you need chalk pastels but they got like less then 7 dollars a complete box of earth colors, or grays, or they even got real cheap kits on resin. A must to check out.
Now I have talked to Brett on their matts, which he claims they are of all high quality, and I believe they all have the lines on them, but they do have the 12"x 18" blue matts for $16.00, and the 18"x 24" blue matts for $30.00, and they also have a monstrous one with the size of 24"x 36" for $ 59.00 in blue also.
They now have black mats to. I tried to make a hot link straight to them, but for some reason I can't do it, but if anybody is interested the link for the black mats is
http://www.alpineimport.com/items.asp?Cc=10000277 and the address for the blue, and green, and white mats is http://www.alpinimport.com/itemsasp?Cc10000320
This way you can have a look at them, they are double sided, with the marking lines down to the 16th. I know it gets a little hard to find things on their site, but this way it will take you right to the mats, so you can see all the sizes and 4different colors
Kerry
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 02:53 AM UTC
You can find them at Wal-Mart in the Craft/Material section, also at craft shops.

People who make quilts and stuff use them as well.
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:47 AM UTC
I got mine from a sewing store here in town. The green mats are great and can take alot of abuse. And I find it's alot better than my old method of covering my bench of taping down a piece of brown paper.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 11:44 PM UTC
I wonder, why do they call them self-healing mat even if the mat does not heal itself? :-)
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2004 - 08:50 PM UTC
these mats are of good use. Mine is being abused glue covered painted and everything else that u can do .it is still there they cost a lil but u dont destroy anything else
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2004 - 09:05 PM UTC
i got mine from partners, which is a stationary shop, but anywhere like staples etc wil sell them

cheers

joe
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 11:05 AM UTC
Shop around. The prices vary dramatically depending on where you go. You should be able to find them at Michaels, any stationary store, Walmart... in the sewing section.
riffraff247
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 34 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 12:26 PM UTC
Hey I got one of the gray Fiskars at my LWM today for $11. (18x24) It was discounted because they're upgrading their craft section! That's cool by me. They already had three rows of stuff. I can't wait to see what else they get. Don't get me wrong, it's no Hobby Shop, but it helps. Even if it was, I'd still have to support the little guy!
Anyhow, have any of you used this type of mat? I'm hoping I didn't buy a lemon! I'd also like to know what the differences are between the two. Thanks everyone! -Spemcer
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 05:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey I got one of the gray Fiskars at my LWM today for $11. (18x24) It was discounted because they're upgrading their craft section! That's cool by me. They already had three rows of stuff. I can't wait to see what else they get. Don't get me wrong, it's no Hobby Shop, but it helps. Even if it was, I'd still have to support the little guy!
Anyhow, have any of you used this type of mat? I'm hoping I didn't buy a lemon! I'd also like to know what the differences are between the two. Thanks everyone! -Spemcer

At that price you aren't expecting top quality are you, shoot $11. for a 18x 24 nobody even comes close to that price, I know that this one place can't even buy theirs at that price, let alone sale at that price. Now They have double sided cutting mats though, and promise to be of top quality, but I'd like to hear just how long that mat you just bought does last you though if we remember.
Now if it falls apart the first week, then you should of spent the extra money, but if that lasts you a year, then you had a great buy.

Kerry
jackalone72
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 104 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 02:05 PM UTC
Why stick with green?
Guys I got mine From here.They have different colors and different sizes.Clear,Black, and Green.I got the Big 24"x36" for $49 inluding shipping and handling.

Try Them Im am going to get the Black and green for my other desk.

AJ
riffraff247
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 34 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 02:17 PM UTC
Of course I wasn't expecting top quality. I figured I'd give it a shot though. I'm not expecting Kevlar. I just wanted a cutting mat that's better than newspaper and a piece of 1"x 4".
I'll definitely remember the time frame and I'll let you know because I would rather have quality than quantity anyday! I didn't expect this to be of the same quality whatsoever as the double-sided green ones. I was just curious if anybody had used one and was trying to get some information (durability, etc.) since I happened upon one at a discounted price. I'm not a salesman for Fiskar's, I'm just a modeler who happens to be an unemployed carpenter at the moment.

Quoted Text

Anyhow, have any of you used this type of mat? I'm hoping I didn't buy a lemon! I'd also like to know what the differences are between the two.

Of course, since I'm laid off right now and a little low on cash, I try to conserve.
Take Care, -Spencer
Austin, Texas - Just north of the Rio Grande.

gkicsak
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 50 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 12:50 AM UTC
Believe it or not, my cutting board was originally a mousepad I got with my computer in 1991. It was the standard for mousepads at that stage.

My cutting board has been put through its paces and surviving very well indeed.

Cheers,
Gabe
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 03:22 AM UTC
Hey ! squadron has green mats 8.5x11 excel for $9.46 part number EX60002
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 09:44 PM UTC
I've found them cheaper in toolshops thather than craftshops ok you get what you pay for but most will be made in the same factories minesa has had some abuse covered in glue and paint and plastic nibs and filings just dont expect the print to stay on then if you spill glue/paint/thinners on it and wipe it off but they are one of the 1st investments you should make if you want to contiune in this hobby . I even managed to get a little a-4 sized one to take away with me on holiday ect
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 842 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 03:17 PM UTC
I just bought one of the green mats, their great and the better ones have angles and measurments printed on them for reference.. But, for the past year and a half i've been using (and still do) cigar boxes with a layer of thick leather glued smooth side with rubber cement to the lid and, . I can store tools, such as my knives inbetween projects or parts to be completed inside the boxes and the surface is virtually self healing. Cost? NADA...I had the leather from a past project, the cigar boxes were free from a buddy and the rubber cement I already had. Works great, virtually free and not one noticable cut mark after all this time..

No cuts visable in this image of a box top.

Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 07:12 PM UTC
i bought my green mat 4-5 yrs ago...i bought at an art supply shop ..i bought the smaller (trial version) as they called it because it measure only approx. 10" x 6" . It to have been abused along these years. I have been my soulmate at the hobby room because he's always there no matter what!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 12:16 AM UTC
One other place to get these is a sewing store. Sometimes they're orange, but they are the same material.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 12:26 AM UTC
just picked up a small one myself at A.C. Moore arts and crafts store.. its kinda clearish grey with inch squares on it.. though I spilled Plastruct on it yesterday and half the lines are gone.. the mat is unhurt....

used a 40% off coupon think it cost me about $7

got to get those bargins. :-)
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 01:42 AM UTC
They also come in translucent white....

Cheers
Peter
:-)