_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Model Railroader's?
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 01:23 PM UTC
Any armor/aircraft modelers into HO model railroad? It has always interested me, but never got the time or space for a layout..

Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 01:48 PM UTC
Many, many moons ago. I used to have a little set in the basement when I was around 12 - 13.
I still hold a particular fondness for HO trains and hope that one day I will be able to afford both financially and chronastically to get back into it.
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 01:54 PM UTC
Same here,
Loved it as a kid, am waiting on my little girl to get a little oder so we can do an HO layout together. Prepping her with some sci-fi kits now that she can build herself...
No active layout right now, though.
Neat Stuff...
Check the Walthers online site to see how far this hobby has progressed.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 02:11 PM UTC
I used to have an N guage layout. It's now in pieces in a box. Boy - if you thought modeling was expensive - RR is up there too.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 03:36 PM UTC
I've got boxes of the stuff. Got into the hobby in Germany so bought lots of German stuff. Found out Fleischman and Roco stuff was compatable with US. Even got lots of neat German buildings. Unfortuneatly, lost bug after a bit.....no space. Now I've got space, but no desire to do it.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 04:14 PM UTC
Well, I model Modern military Rail, though in N-Scale, not HO. I know for a fact that there is a LOT of 1/87 military out there and very little military 1/160 from experience in trying to find models. It has kicked my scratchbuilding skills up a few notches, that's for sure! what are you interested in doing?
Cuhail
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 04:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I used to have an N guage layout. It's now in pieces in a box. Boy - if you thought modeling was expensive - RR is up there too.

Let me know if you want to get rid of your equipment. Being a "expensive" hobby, secondhand stuff is always a draw to me.
Cuhail
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 05:32 PM UTC
I've got a pretty good sized HO layout in the basement that is probably going to be a work in progress for the rest of my life. The setting is early 1950's with a mix of early diesel and some late steam. Santa Fe rolling stock predominates. Since I've picked up on modeling armor, and this site, the railroad has taken a back seat. It's a great hobby though, as electrical, modeling, scenery, carpentary, the whole nine yards can come into play. Plus lots of opportunities for buildings, rolling stock, etc.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 06:01 PM UTC
I have quite a collection of N scale locos and rolling stock. I mostly prototype CSX and some BNSF. I have no layout but my buddies have 1/2 their basements built up so if I want to go run some trains I go there. Problem is only 1/3 of my locos are DCC ready so only some of my locos can be run on DCC layout the other 2/3 can only run on non-DCC layouts
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 07:42 PM UTC
Those were the days....loved it...
But no room.....why can't I be rich????
Big layout in its own room and a massive Scalextric in the next ....then my 30 car garage just outside the window...next to the helipad.....

Dream on.
Cheers
Peter
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 08:34 PM UTC
Only in bits and pieces. I have a Hasagawa Leopold that I'm trying to figure out a base for; no luck finding the special turntable, so I've got to find a HO or 1/72-76 diesel huffer that was used for moving the gun on a curved section of track to train it on target.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 11:11 PM UTC
Same here many moons ago still have all my stuff the Campbell buildings and all took up 2 sheets of plywood 4x8 nice stuff trains.
Best is point to point in my book with roundhouse on one end and turntable,or a Logging line with some Shays.Oh oh I hope I don't get the bug again and want to do again,it is a great hobby and will keep you busy forever!!

Edit all Ho my brother had one back in the 1960's all Lionel with the GG-1s all three running thru the villages really got me started!!
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 12:44 AM UTC
Here's one from this side of the pond: Me and my brother are busy with planning and constructing a H0 RR. Subject: Bayern (Bavaria) around 1910.
Still in the early stages though and the track plan still changes.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 03:02 AM UTC
I really like N Scale stuff. Never had the room for HO Scale - until now...

Gunnie
menglish
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 14 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 03:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The setting is early 1950's with a mix of early diesel and some late steam. Santa Fe rolling stock predominates.

This sounds like my layout. It is in the early 1950's as well, with mostly Santa Fe and Rock Island not to far behind. I love the look of the diesels from this era, really classy looking. I have a couple steamers that make an appearance too. I go back and forth between trains and plastic models in my limited spare time.
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 1,017 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 12:36 PM UTC
I have an ho layout in progress Ihave all the track laid out just need to use my woodland scenics mountain scenery kit I have been very tempted to use the stuff in my dio's. I found all my stuff at ebay there is tons of stuff for MRR.
darkstar
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 209 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 08:13 PM UTC
I grew up with the Erie Lackawanna RR...even got to run trains as a kid..grandfather worked for them...i presently have 25 locomotives..steam and deisel..and about 65 freight cars..5 set of passenger cars..a complete army hospital train....all ho..but the collections on the wall..layout isnt finished yet

Ray
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 03:13 PM UTC
Ya know, I went N-scale myself because at 1/35th, my former roomate and I had entertained ideas of turning the whole apartment into a diorama! Knowing the management company would probably frown on this, I suggested we go with a smaller scale and 1/160 was chosen. I now have committed about $15,000 toward the first leg of the layout with some rolling stock and DCC paid for. Get this though, I'm modeling military railroading circa 2015-2040 Post apocalyptic, private militia/survivalistic, government conspiracy freedom fighter style! So, I used conspiracy theories from today to set up a "future history" theme of a railroad that doesn't exist!!!
Now, if anybody wants to see how it's coming along, see my profile and visit my website link. I figure I've got about 20+ years until it's "finished", but, it keeps me doing both of the things I love, Model Railroading AND Armor!
Cuhail
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 10:27 PM UTC
I always loved it when I was younger, and I still do. I'm collecting all sorts of HO goodies to pick it up again when, and IF my sons gets the feeling too. He's now 6yrs, so a bit too "energetic" to join me in this hobby, but he'll be calmer in future....I hope that's the moment I can pick it up again.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 11:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ya know, I went N-scale myself because at 1/35th, my former roomate and I had entertained ideas of turning the whole apartment into a diorama! Knowing the management company would probably frown on this, I suggested we go with a smaller scale and 1/160 was chosen. I now have committed about $15,000 toward the first leg of the layout with some rolling stock and DCC paid for. Get this though, I'm modeling military railroading circa 2015-2040 Post apocalyptic, private militia/survivalistic, government conspiracy freedom fighter style! So, I used conspiracy theories from today to set up a "future history" theme of a railroad that doesn't exist!!!
Now, if anybody wants to see how it's coming along, see my profile and visit my website link. I figure I've got about 20+ years until it's "finished", but, it keeps me doing both of the things I love, Model Railroading AND Armor!
Cuhail

I visited it nice layout you have going their!
Enjoy it.
daselim
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:53 AM UTC
I've been into both Aircraft (1/48), Armor (1/35), dioramas, and model trains for many years. I have tons of HO scale stuff that I am planning to sell off or trade for N scale, because of the space and time issue.
However, you don't need a lot of space for a model railroad. The first HO scale layout I had was the old stand by 4ft by 8ft plywood slab. The next layout I built was at first 1ft by 6ft, with an additional 1.5ft by 8ft section added later. That layout was then incorporated into the monster that took over the basement in my last house. Needless to say, the monster layout was never even close to being finished.
The cool thing about both hobbies is that they share many tools and techniques; airbrushing, decaling, terrain modeling, super detailing etc... And, if you ever run into a loss of interest in the military modeling (not that this ever happens :-) ), working on the trains will help hone your skills for when the armor/aircraft/ship/figure/diorama bug bites again.
If you are at all interested, pick up a good locomotive, a few cars, some track, and an inexpensive power pack. Then find a design you like, or create your own, and build a simple layout on a shelf (such as my 1x6 second layout) or in a corner somewhere. I believe you will find that you like it.

Cheers
Dave
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 08:30 AM UTC
:-) How about this 16mm steam powered, radio controlled, garden loco.

Test run, before body added.

Mal
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2004 - 06:02 PM UTC
Daselim's right, it's a hobby that is NEVER finished. I plan on working on my layout well into my golden years( i'm 34 now). I still find myself wanting to do 1/35th due to the ease of modeling, but, I have so many ideas and only so much space.
 _GOTOTOP