_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
You know it's time to quit when...
druid
Visit this Community
Finland
entire network: 211 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 11:57 AM UTC
Inspired by the little modeling accidents tonight I decided to create this thread for sharing your less delightful experiences. I'll start it with:

You know it's time to quit or have a break when you first rip off a piece of decal by carelessly grabbing the model. And then proceed to spill half of your remaining Micro Sol over the work surface, getting it on some unfinished landing gear, brushes and whatnot.

Now it 's your turn to share the pain.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You know it's time to quit or have a break when ...

trying to fit Italeri tracks, and break off both rear idlers, a piece of the drive sprocket and the the antenna. Nevermind all the fingerprints and smudges that will "shine" when photographs are posted!
Tony_Frey
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 272 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:14 PM UTC
You know it's time to quit or have a break when ............ you have a very vengeful and unstable girlfriend, and she gets really mad one day and totally destroys 18 armor and a/c kits that you spent 1 1/2 years of your spare time, effort, sweat and not to mention money on. After something like that, any little mishaps to me are pretty easy to take now.

We split up not long after that day.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:41 PM UTC
Tony_Frey - that falls more under the You know it's time to get a new girlfriend when... Ouch man - that's wrong on so many levels.

Mine is when you try to cut a tube down the middle for the 40th time, or when you've dropped the same figure onto the work table for the third time and popped of the same arm for the third time
Or recently when the paint starts gumming up the AB and then suddenly breaks loose and spatters a Huge spider web of paint in the middle of a panel!!!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:42 PM UTC
You know it's time to quite of have a break when...

You find yourself resisting the impulse to throw the kit you're working on across the room, put an add in ebay to sell all your unfinished models, or wipe Armorama off your lists of favorites because you're too depressed seeing what other people are able to do.
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:51 PM UTC
You know it's time to quite of have a break when... you're so ‘high’ from glue fumes that you get picked up on RADAR!

You know it's time to quite of have a break when... you stick (superglue) the resin parts to your fingers for the umpteenth time!

brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 01:16 PM UTC
PHEW! I thought it was just me who had these misshaps :-)
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 01:16 PM UTC
You know it's time to quit or have a break when...

1) The band-aid won't stop the bleeding.

2) The Mrs. is calling you.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 01:18 PM UTC
Hi. I can agree with Halfyank here as there's been more than one time that I've been tempted to do just make a 'clean sweep' of everything plastic and find another, less stressful, type of hobby, like back to cars, guns or something else sometimes.

You know it's time to quit when.....you spill a bottle of liquid glue all over a half-completed model....

...when you lose the one very small and very critical part that is so important to a model and can't be replaced or hand-made with my skills.

....when you spill a whole bottle of Zap Kicker that literally runs you out of the garage for an hour due to the fumes it creates. Nasty stuff for sure.

Take care, Sgirty
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 01:36 PM UTC
Just after a good pat on the back for finishing a King Tiger, I was putting away a reference book and as I moved it over the King Tiger the book slipped. Broke the main gun, commander's hatch and antennas.
Captain94
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 239 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 01:36 PM UTC
It's time to run screaming into the night after my wife's kat decides to sit (with no encouragement on my part) on the pile of freshly painted road wheels and with impeccable kat logic use said road wheels for some sort of kat the mighty hunter ritual while inviting it's little kat buddies to join in and you can't find the wheels and your wife is calling you names because you are simply trying to get the wheels from those @#%$#@ kats ARRRRRGHHHH!!!

OK, OK I'm alright now that I've had a nice pint

Thanks for starting this thread, Pally

Gotta get those darn kats before they strike again

Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 01:45 PM UTC
You know it's time to quite of have a break when...

- you cannot understand why the parts from your PE set don't match instructions for your kit only to realize you are working with the wrong set.

- you dip a brush full of acrylic paint into a jar with enamel thinner (or vice versa)

- you reach over the work area only to knock over the paint thinner jar and spill its contents all over your reference materials, your lap, the chair and the rug.
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 776 Posts
KitMaker Network: 190 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 02:27 PM UTC
You know it's time to quit /break when...

Everything suddenly seems difficult and you spend more than the usual amount of time on it only to fail miserably (decals).

or

when what everyone else before my post begins to happen and you swear your other half has a voodoo doll of you in the other room STICKING PINS INTO IT!!!!!!!!!! Ahem..causing you grief..............ouch..OUCH...STOP!!!! OK OK...IM GETTING OFF THE COMPUT..OUCH!!
Weebl
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
entire network: 32 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 07:18 PM UTC
You know it's time to quit of have a break when...

...you get to a meeting and discover that the tracks on your Panzer I have splitted, and you don't have any glue with you

...you break of the mudguard poles, machinegun, hatches etc. off for the 2875th time

Rick
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 07:33 PM UTC
You know it's time to quite of have a break when...Your Cousin stands on your dioramas sitting on the floor(as you have no more space on your shelves or desk) when all it had left to go was 1 figure glued to the base cheers, good post idea!
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 07:58 PM UTC
You know it's time to quit when you stand up, after supergluing the edge of the work tray to your sweatshirt, with a newly painted model in thetray.................
redaye
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 123 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 09:02 PM UTC
you know it's time to quit---when you fall asleep in your chair, only to be woken up by a sharp pain on the top of your foot cause by your exacto which is now calling it home.
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 09:02 PM UTC
... you take a drink from your glass of paint thinner.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 09:33 PM UTC
when you get conused to were the modelling area is due to all the unbuilt kits and boxes forming a maze hoping to trap you in the room forever
tijmen_4real
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 131 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 10:11 PM UTC

you start with a fresh morning breeze in your head, when you pick up the 8 ton halftrack you painted the evening after, and one of the tracks fall of. When you get the coriage to fix it, everytime you glue it together another parts comes falling of.

Greetz, and keep up the good work, m8 !

Tijmen (Taibo) 4real
boatswain
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 53 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 11:47 PM UTC

...you've just got done using your tweezers and set them down and then spend the next 20 minutes looking for them only to find them under that sheet of directions that you know you've looked under at least 14 times...

...that piece of rigging on your biplane that you've superglued in place and waited patiently to dry before resuming work springs away from the model for the 10th time and you begin to wonder if it would actually fly if you threw it across the room...

#:-) #:-) #:-) #:-)
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 12:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

1) The band-aid won't stop the bleeding.

NOW THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE, AND I AM NOT ADVISING ANYONE ELSE TO DO THIS!!!!!!!

I cut my finger so bad one night the band-aids would not stop the bleeding,
Now, being on blood thinner's due to having open heart surgury a few years ago,
I do bleed a little more than most, but usually a band-aid or two will stop the flow.

But NOT this time.......... thought I was going to have to go to hospital Emergency Room......
BUT>>>>>> Crazy Glue to the rescue ........ I put a drop of Crazy Glue on the cut, squeesed it together, stopped bleeding........... and continued modeling....... LOL
took a few days to heal...... and not even a scar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JUST CALL ME DOCTOR McCOY...... OR DOCTOR INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 12:49 AM UTC
You know it's time to quit /break when...

you ve spilled the 3d bottle of glue in one night (and youve run out of) you keep the pliers in your right hand but your eyes and your left hand search for them in the mesh of tools, and the 3 sprues you were taking parts for three hours now , totally magical disappeared. It 3 o clock in the morning guy ...give it up . The churchill can wait till tommorow nite
simonrw
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 53 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 02:07 AM UTC
You know it's time to quit/take a break when...

You admire the rather good finish you've handbrushed onto your F-15, you notice an unpainted spot and apply paintbrush to touch it up.......only to realise that that wasn't paint, but the eggcup of plastic-eating brush cleaner that you've just dipped your brush into....and yes, 1/72 F-15s DO fly, but only if you throw them hard enough....I was 14 and the memory still lingers...lol
danmo
Visit this Community
Ecuador
entire network: 92 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 02:21 AM UTC
You know it's time to quit/take a break when...

It´s sunday night and you find that your wife took the children and went to her mom's house on friday.

Danmo
 _GOTOTOP