Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
You know it's time to quit when...
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 03:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You know it's time to quit/take a break when...

It´s sunday night and you find that your wife took the children and went to her mom's house on friday.

Danmo

.........RESULT! :-)
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 03:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

1) The band-aid won't stop the bleeding.

NOW THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE, AND I AM NOT ADVISING ANYONE ELSE TO DO THIS!!!!!!!

I cut my finger so bad one night the band-aids would not stop the bleeding,
Now, being on blood thinner's due to having open heart surgury a few years ago,
I do bleed a little more than most, but usually a band-aid or two will stop the flow.

But NOT this time.......... thought I was going to have to go to hospital Emergency Room......
BUT>>>>>> Crazy Glue to the rescue ........ I put a drop of Crazy Glue on the cut, squeesed it together, stopped bleeding........... and continued modeling....... LOL
took a few days to heal...... and not even a scar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JUST CALL ME DOCTOR McCOY...... OR DOCTOR INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard that that is what super glue was created for originally. Could be wrong though.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I heard that that is what super glue was created for originally. Could be wrong though.

I have heard that too. Developed during the VN War...
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 03:58 AM UTC

Super glue was discovered by accident in 1958, apparently. It was used in Vietnam to keep wounded soldiers from bleeding to death. I had always been told that was an urban legend. Guess it isn't.
Linky below..

Shaun

http://www.rdmag.com/news/0111fred.asp
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 04:16 AM UTC
You know it's time to take a break when your motor tool discovers that your leg is ssofter than resin.

Stupid, but it happened - about 15minutes ago!
BuckGully
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 61 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 04:50 AM UTC
You know it's time to take a break when you've just spent an hour carefully masking off the your canopy and windows, only to discover that you've masked off the insides of half of them and the outsides of the other half.

It's also time to take a break when you sit there staring at a bottle of "olive drab", a bottle of "olive green" and the instruction sheet which clearly says "olive drab" and you still can't figure out which paint to use.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has gremlins who delight in hiding things under instruction sheets and then make them reappear after you've looked under the sheet several times.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"I'm a DOCTOR, not a modelmaker!"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Dixon66
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,500 Posts
KitMaker Network: 154 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 05:41 AM UTC
You know it's time to take a break when.....
you just spent two hours carefully drybrushing all four colors of a splinter camo and knock a bottle of brush cleaner over the entire left side of the tank. Not only aircraft can fly, tanks too.....

I now have glued my bottles of Tenax and thinners to bases of wood at least three inches square!!!!

Dave S.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 05:49 AM UTC
You know it's time to quit or have a break when

You have spend more then a day glueing 90 Italeri jerrycans to find out that over 90 % have the lids attached wrong

phoenix-1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 629 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 01:03 PM UTC
You know it is time to quit or take a break when... you've been scratchbuilding a tiny essential part, because you decided it would be a good idea to not trust the manufacturer and chop off the molded-on part, and while gluing the last section on, it falls into the lair of the dreaded carpet monster, where he chews it up, swallows it, and then belches in your face as you search for the part on hands and knees. BTW, great forum topic. :-)
Kyle
DaveMan
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 137 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 02:42 PM UTC
WHen you fall asleep at the modeling bench, and show up for work the next day with a landing gear door superglued to your forearm.

(Hey! At least I didn't end up with a propeller glued to my forehead or something!)

(BTW, I have spilled glue, paint, etc on my models too. Now, I have a wooden base with a thick piece of wood on top, about 12" square. It has holes drilled in it for Tenax, paint and thinner bottles, plus a longer slot for super glue bottles. Ugly, but it works. No more spills!)

Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 03:07 PM UTC
You know it's time to quit or have a break when..... you spill your bottle of glue for the third time in one session! You know you need some fresh air then! #:-)
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 03:08 PM UTC
You know it's time for a break when you've dropped the same tiny part into the carpet for the tenth time and have spent more than two hours on your hands and knees with a penlight looking for it. Then you end up scratch building the part because you couldn't find it the tenth time it flew off.

Then as you sit back to admire the part you built, you notice the part peeking out from behind a paint bottle on the desk.

Sixty two year old fingers are numb fingers!
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 04:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You know it's time for a break when you've dropped the same tiny part into the carpet for the tenth time and have spent more than two hours on your hands and knees with a penlight looking for it. Then you end up scratch building the part because you couldn't find it the tenth time it flew off.

Then as you sit back to admire the part you built, you notice the part peeking out from behind a paint bottle on the desk.

Sixty two year old fingers are numb fingers!

I couldn't agree more with the bit about having dropped the same part 3x times it's time to be done.

It's time to pack it in when the PE parts stick better to the fingers or tweezers than to the kit.

Tools missing in plain view.

Most needed reference book in the book case is the one you took out of your lap to get up to go check the bookcase.

The 4-yr old son says "Let's play Dad."

great topic!!

druid
Visit this Community
Finland
entire network: 211 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 02:23 AM UTC
Had another one yesterday, prolly relates to being high and showing up on radar:

You know it's time to have a break when you are picking bread from the supermarket and suddenly you think that something just smelled of Micro Sol...
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 02:42 AM UTC
Will this win the worst case of "time to quit"? I needed a railroad track section for a diorama. Built it from scratch with diligent research, patterns, and a jig. So, after countless hours, my perfect section of straight track with a curved section was finished...but the curve went the wrong way since I assembled it upside-down!

Sealhead
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 03:35 AM UTC
Its time to quit when you wash your brush in your coffee and drink the thinners....yeuk.
Cheers
Peter
:-)
Longshanks
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 191 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 12:17 PM UTC
You know when its time to Quit when.........

You place your hand on the superglue tube, get stuck to it and the table and spend an hour or so freeing yourself. (Don't Ask!)

When your little sister wrecks a kit you've spent a month or so on in minutes, completely destroys it and no-one seems to care but you!

Or you spend a great deal of time on your best work yet and No-one seems to appreciate it....
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 04:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

1) The band-aid won't stop the bleeding.

NOW THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE, AND I AM NOT ADVISING ANYONE ELSE TO DO THIS!!!!!!!

I cut my finger so bad one night the band-aids would not stop the bleeding,
Now, being on blood thinner's due to having open heart surgury a few years ago,
I do bleed a little more than most, but usually a band-aid or two will stop the flow.

But NOT this time.......... thought I was going to have to go to hospital Emergency Room......
BUT>>>>>> Crazy Glue to the rescue ........ I put a drop of Crazy Glue on the cut, squeesed it together, stopped bleeding........... and continued modeling....... LOL
took a few days to heal...... and not even a scar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They say that is what it was originally intended for, and designed for the surgeons during Vietnam who didn't have the time to sew them up. That is why it sticks better to your fingers then it does to your model.
Arznek
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 44 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 05:27 PM UTC
When your roommate's girlfriend thinks it's a good idea to clean your work desk and throws away half of the unfinished pieces for your B17G.....
29Foxtrot
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 708 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 10:36 PM UTC
G'day folks,

You know it's time to quite:

When you recieve a model to repair [a shipbuilder's model, leveled at the deck], quote a price for repair, get the go ahead to start work, only to find the broken parts and refference photos supplied, relate to a different model. It happens to the best of us, at times. I've lost count of the launchs, from grandkids, of my models, or any of the other common hazards that modelers face, everytime a kitcomes out of the box.

Good topic idea.

Rob.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 11:23 AM UTC
It time to call it a night when you've just glued your finger to the same part for the second or third time. Of course the first couple of time you had to cut your finger free - ouch!
blitz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 502 Posts
KitMaker Network: 432 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 04:05 PM UTC
You know it's time to quit:
If you're not sure is you sprayed 35 coats of paint in your Panzer IV or was it the Panther "D"??
steve-o
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 09:40 AM UTC
Yet another injury report :

You know it's time to quit when...you realize that a heated xacto blade will cut through skin just as easily as it cuts through plastic.

And, you know it's time to get your head examined when...you realize that it will also cut though the bandaid, and make a second slice in your thumb right next to the 1st one!!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 12:59 PM UTC
When you just don't feel like building anymore. Very serious issue.