History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
What does D-day mean ??
mossieramm
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
entire network: 253 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 12:13 AM UTC
This may sound like an obvious question, but what does the D stand for in D-Day (June 6th 1944). I always thought it stood for Decision, however... I was recently told with great persuasion that it stood for Day, which would make Day Day. That seems very unlikely to me. Don't they use the term D-Day for all military operations, and that only June 6th 1944 is remembered as D-Day ??
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 12:59 AM UTC
I'll take a swing. Every military operations has a preparation and deployment phase. The term D-Day has no particular meaning. It is the day you execute the plan. There are D-Days for every invasion during WW II. We historically link the designation "D-Day" to the 6th of June 1944 because of its symbolism. Someone else may have better info, but that's my recollection
DJ
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 01:08 AM UTC
D for Departure date?
just a thought.
Cheers
Peter
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 03:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

D for Departure date?
just a thought.
Cheers
Peter

I don't think so. I stand by my remark that the letter "D" has no specific meaning other than standing for the day of plan execution.
DJ
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 03:08 AM UTC
I think DJ is probably right. I Googled the origin of the word but came up empty. For security reasons the actual date wasn't specified, jump off dates were referred to as "D-Days." Probably the same reason the specified hour of the attacks are referred to as "H-Hour."
Just a thought...

Shaun
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 09:01 AM UTC
i beleive dj and keenan are right,

from what im aware, neither d-day or h-hour, like many other military phrases etc, has no particular meaning, its just a rando thing, with the intention of making it harder for the enemy to figure it out.

cheers

joe
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 01:47 PM UTC
I'd always heard that it meant "Disembarcation" day, but I've been know to be wrong on more than one occasion.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 02:50 PM UTC
The "D" in D-day stands for "Day". Wierd right? Because it would read Day-day. Well, it's so. It's the actual "Day" in which a planed action takes place.

Further more, D-DAY, is the date for a planned action. The term enables planners to establish sequential priorities for activities before and after an operation's starting date, which may be unknown, may be designated but secret, or may be subject to change. For example, when an invasion is contemplated, the date for beginning the action is called D-day; planners can then schedule an air bombardment for D minus 1 (D - 1), the day before the target date, and the commitment of additional troops on D plus 1 (D + 1), the day after. Preparations for a complicated operation are keyed to an established schedule requiring certain acts by D - 90, others by D - 60. In the same way, follow-up activities and desired or expected events may be scheduled for D + 10, D + 30, and so forth.

Similarly, H-hour designates a specific time for a planned action, such as the landing of the first troops. M-day usually means mobilization day, the date for certain planned actions to take place in a specified sequence in the event of possible enemy activity.
mossieramm
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
entire network: 253 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 07:29 PM UTC
Thank you for your input everybody.
I hadn't heard of the term M-day before. Learn something everyday.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 05:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The "D" in D-day stands for "Day". Wierd right? Because it would read Day-day. Well, it's so. It's the actual "Day" in which a planed action takes place.

Further more, D-DAY, is the date for a planned action. The term enables planners to establish sequential priorities for activities before and after an operation's starting date, which may be unknown, may be designated but secret, or may be subject to change. For example, when an invasion is contemplated, the date for beginning the action is called D-day; planners can then schedule an air bombardment for D minus 1 (D - 1), the day before the target date, and the commitment of additional troops on D plus 1 (D + 1), the day after. Preparations for a complicated operation are keyed to an established schedule requiring certain acts by D - 90, others by D - 60. In the same way, follow-up activities and desired or expected events may be scheduled for D + 10, D + 30, and so forth.

Similarly, H-hour designates a specific time for a planned action, such as the landing of the first troops. M-day usually means mobilization day, the date for certain planned actions to take place in a specified sequence in the event of possible enemy activity.

I totally agree with this run down. very nicely done
thanks
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 06:51 AM UTC
Kencelot is close on M-Day. Real close. The US military uses both C-day and M-day when referring to mobilization. C-Day is the date that mobilization for a particular operation commences. M-day is the date a particular unit is called to active duty, or "mobilized". Every unit that mobilizes has an unique M-day. I remember there was also an F-hour, when referring to mobilization, but I can't recall exactly. Its been 17 years since I atended the Mobilization and Deployment Planners Course.

Jeff Leiby
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 06:58 AM UTC
F-Hour? Boy, I bet the guys had fun with that one.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 07:20 AM UTC
Thanks for making that more clear Jeff!

Oh, and F-hour is the effective time of announcement by the Secretary of Defense to the Military Departments of a decision to mobilize Reserve units.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 08:26 AM UTC
Kencelot - I believe, sir, you are correct. Do you have a copy of FORSCOM Regulation 500-3-3 on your computer? I was too lazy to look it up myself.