_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Are you still buying/building older kits?
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 752 Posts
KitMaker Network: 341 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2016 - 10:17 PM UTC
I've recently encountered a new dilemma in my modeling life...I'm actually considering buying some older kits (1980/90s vintage) along with the associated aftermarket despite new tooled kits being on the market. In some cases it's going to cost a few dollars more for the old school kit, PE and tracks. It's one thing when the kit is already in your stash but to go out and buy it?

I'm not sure if it's the nostalgia of building a kit I built or wanted to buy when I was a kid. Is it the enjoyment/challenge of scratch building details? Being overwhelmed by the high parts count of some of today's kits? As much as I enjoy getting a kit that has PE, a metal barrel and individual track links all in the box, I miss the hunt of accumulating all those things.

I guess I thought it would be a neat topic to see if anyone else is doing this and why?

-Sherb
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2016 - 10:37 PM UTC
Most definitely! Painful as they can be sometimes, I love those older kits.

DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2016 - 11:26 PM UTC
I model on a budget, so apart from Christmas and Birthdays I buy the older cheaper kits all the time.
I also get a kick out of converting them and building extra details - they take longer as well that way

Given a choice between old-school modelling and "shake'n'glue" I'll take the former.
KelticKnot
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 768 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2016 - 08:53 PM UTC
There's also the fact that rarer or less popular subjects in the scale of your choice are sometimes only available this way.

The first model I made upon joining Aeroscale was the 48th scale Blackbird, an old Testors kit. My current time-sink is the 48th scale Lancaster by Tamiya.

Both are really old and would benefit a lot from new tooling and the other advantages of modern techniques but it's a big ask for companies to invest in these kind of low-sales models.
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 752 Posts
KitMaker Network: 341 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2016 - 09:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A lot of heroics wind up as shelf queens just because people run out of stamina.
There are some older kits that have advantages over modern tooled, over-engineered kits (eg Brocno Afv club). Some of those also needlessly detract from precious modelling time.

Yeah, I think that gets to the heart of my dilemma.... I'm trying to find that sweet spot that prevents the next project from becoming a shelf queen.

Or to put it another way, is it less likely to become a shelf queen due to an overwhelming number of aftermarket parts/modifications or because every subassembly is made up of 10 parts when it could be done with one.

It is nice to quickly knock out an OOB old school kit every so often.
You know, to chalk one up in the win/completed column.
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 554 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2016 - 10:29 PM UTC
I mainly build the older kits because I too have limited budget and time. And I also don't build for competitions, just for me. The people that see my models are not knowledgeable of the subjects so if it looks generally like the vehicle it is supposed to portray it is okay by me. I'm also getting to the point where my eye sight and dexterity are starting to deteriorate some. Tiny parts, small scales and detail painting are becoming more difficult. I build for relaxation. So if I think a kit will inflict frustration instead of provide enjoyment I will avoid it, regardless of how interesting I find the vehicle itself. Life is too short and getting shorter.
Wishing everyone well.
Alystyr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 146 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2016 - 11:48 PM UTC
I buy both older and newer kits.
Some older kits are a better value than newer ones, especially with the sharing of molds, reissues, and reboxings that happen on occasion.
Like Hasegawa... a lot of times one can get the exact same plastic in a 10+ year old kit as the latest issue for a fraction of the price, with only the markings being different.
I guess it all depends on if I luck into a good deal on something I'm in the mood for at the moment.
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2016 - 12:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Modelling time, much life like, is finite. So I would rather pay a little more to get a better, more accurate kit.

There is, I think, a second side to that coin, however. Certainly, if coming as close as possible to absolute accuracy is at the top of one's list of priorities then, yes, I quite agree: the newer kits are going to require less time (and fewer expensive AM additions) to complete.

If, on the other hand, one's focus is more toward simply producing something pleasing to one's own eye (vs pleasing to a judge's eye)*, or practicing skills and improving one's technique, or just enjoying a quick weekend build, then many of the older, simpler kits do that admirably--and often at a lower cost for those who are budget-constrained.

I don't think either approach is right or wrong; like most anything else in this hobby, it just comes down to personal preference. Or perhaps it's just a simple question of which do you have more to invest in the hobby: time or money?

For my part, I enjoy mixing it up between highly-detailed modern kits and older, rougher kits. I get bored easily.

*Some will contend that a model must be absolutely accurate in order to be pleasing to their eye. That is a perfectly acceptable--but NOT universal--perspective.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 2,713 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2016 - 04:44 AM UTC
Of late I've been buying Tamiya re-issues. Just this weekend I got two Kubelwagens when in fact I've made one already. Price is one factor, but more and more I realize that the attraction for me is that of a lesser part count, less complex build, and ultimately getting the satisfaction of a completed project as opposed to accumulating shelf queens. Never mind the bits that make up the ultra-accurate model, I've never been good at at that anyway!
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2016 - 06:10 AM UTC
I enjoy the older kits too. Price, nostalgia, selection, skill building.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 213 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2016 - 02:53 PM UTC
Only if they are the "only game in town" (AFV-Club Chaparall, Tamiya Sgt. York). Otherwise I take the more modern kit that has less problems/need less to no AM parts.

Modelling is a "away from computers" hobby for me and needs to be relaxing. Scratching of kit parts and replacing them with tiny PE or spending hours sanding down resin blocks is NOT relaxing but frustrating for me.

So thanks but no thanks to Tamiya Leopard 1A4, Gepard and Chieftain Mk Guess or Revell Luchs and PzH 2000(1) and welcome Tacom/Meng

As for money - I'd rather build less than cheap

(1) Okay, I build the latter two back when they where "only game in town", would not do it again
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 803 Posts
KitMaker Network: 132 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2016 - 04:14 PM UTC
If its a kit, I buy it ...LOL..
I have especially become nostalgic as I get older and start to see some of the "Classic" kits for sale that I built as a child now coming back out there when people clean out their stash......

Plus, I really need to build up my stash for when I am retired.....

Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2016 - 05:19 PM UTC
Well, Brian, I myself am retired military, and I hate to break the news, but retirement doesn't seem to offer THAT much extra time.

But, hey, I encourage people to build up a big stash. Makes for great pickings at garage sales and second-hand stores.

fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 803 Posts
KitMaker Network: 132 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2016 - 08:11 PM UTC
I was just kidding myself too .... I am 43 and I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old..... that means when I hit 60, I will STILL have two teenagers just GETTIN READY to start college.... FML.. LOL
andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 37 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 06:01 AM UTC
I'm 31 and my wife gave birth to our first, a girl, a week ago, I will be the right old age of 49 when she graduates high school.

That's a win.
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,277 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 07:31 AM UTC
I'm thinning down my 300 kit stash...some for the good and bad. Good for some of the old detail that stands the test of time...of which I'm working 4 Testors M47's at the same time, for example. The bad: old technology/molds: early Trumpeter for one. Probably will give most to Wounded Warrior type charities, here and overseas.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 08:04 AM UTC
Mark, I too have just retired but not from the Military. But you are right, there isn't that much extra time. I can usually hit it hard one day a week but just an hour here and there the rest of the week.
Anyway, over the years I've built up a stash of kits. New at the time, mostly. Lots of German stuff, mostly Dragon but there are all these new manufacturers with new subjects and eras. But in answer to the question, I build from the stash and my new kits are destined to become old kits. Currently Meng's Whippet is on the bench. If it wasn't a club group build it would be AFV's Churchill AVRE. Only reason... It's at the top of the heap.
I just wish there wouldn't be all these cool, must have new releases..... KIDDING !!
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,980 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 08:31 PM UTC
Unless I'm commissioned to do a particular new kit, as another limited funded hobbyist, I always opt for an older kit. Normally, I'll just scratch some items, add a metal barrel and, if it seems worthwhile, a PE set. I've never used AM tracks as those seem a needless waste of money (tracks look bad? add more dirt ). Cost wise, the majority of my builds come in under $40.

I enjoy doing things this way, and can pull off some credible results. To prove the point, I've had three 1st place wins out of the last 6 IPMS shows I've entered.

All that aside, I feel Sherb's original query hits upon the difference between a "modeler" and a "kit builder". There's nothing wrong with being either, it's just different philosophies.
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 11:32 PM UTC
Well, they don't call it KITMAKER Network for nothing!

Tojo72
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 01:01 AM UTC
No,no old kits for me,maybe 10-12 years the most,but no classics for me.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 01:07 AM UTC
FW,
I appreciate your points,but the guy who built that Stug was probably aware he could buy it,but probably wanted the challenge.Kinda like climbing Everest because it's there,not because one has too,like super detailing an old car when one can buy a new one.Certainly not my thing,but I get it.
 _GOTOTOP