_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Alternative to Putty - Supafilla
baronjj
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 05:51 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

I've been reading about a "miracle" type of replacement to traditional putty called Supafilla. Unfortunately, I can't find anything about it on the net. Where can I find this product?

baronjj
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 06:01 AM UTC
Here is your awnser:

Quoted Text

Try this, and you'll chuck all your other putty in the trash: mix medium viscosity CA approx 50/50 with talcum powder, 'til you get the consistency of runny toothpaste ( I pour the talc on a vinyl-type coffee can/margarine tub lid, drop the CA into it, and mix the talc into the CA letting the CA be my "limiting factor" on how much filler is produced at one time). Apply the composite to your seam, ejector pin mark, gap, smooth it, wait 15 min, and start sanding! Apply it sparingly, however, as it doesn't shrink like other putty. You can also wait 15 days to sand, as it doesn't get harder the longer it cures, and it works on resin as well as plastic. It doesn't soften thin (vac) plastic like petroleum based putty does, and actually adds structural integrity, so you don't have to back large gaps with plastic . Evidently the "Car Guys" have been using this for years to do major bodywork alterations on their models. To see how well "Supafilla" (my name for it) works, carve/gouge a dime-sized hole in some 40 thou plastic sheet, fill the hole w/ Supafilla, and sand both sides. When you're done I think you'll be pleasantly suprised. Regards, Rob

Found Here:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/13610&page=1
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 10:45 AM UTC
Hi baronjj

Supafilla is ZoomieE7's pet name for a homebrew mix of medium density Cyanoacrylate (Superglue or Instant Glue) and talcum powder.

Blend them into a paste and use as a filler. The result is amazing!

Prior to this tip, I'd used CA on its own, but you have to be careful; after 30 mins it dries much harder than the surrounding plastic. "Supafilla" doesn't - it's really easy to sand.

Scoccia uses a similar technique, but sprinkles the talc on to the CA, rather than mixing it prior to application - the results are equally good.

Hope this helps

Rowan
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 11:24 AM UTC
Hey, thanks for posting this. I'm still working on a B-17 without a ball turret. Thanks for your time.
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 05:50 PM UTC
I will give this a try. Sounds like the answer to our dreams.
Currently working on Unicraft 1/72nd Arado TEW 16/43-19 and Planet 1/72nd Heinkel 343.
Both are resins and will need a little filler, an ideal time to try it out.
Drinks all round.
Cheers
Peter
baronjj
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2004 - 05:50 AM UTC
Thank you for the clarification as well as tips. I was obviously a little confused on this subject. I'll give this a try immediately.

baronjj
 _GOTOTOP