_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
An Open Letter to Vendors/Manufacturers
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 11:35 AM UTC
As a wanna-be internet retailer, I think I'll pipe up here for a few cents' worth.
First, I feel this is the overall best modeling website. I like that it's not profit driven. I like not having the so-called gurus and the elitist better-than-you attitudes I've found on other sites. It's a friendly place with many truly talented people.
Second, I really wish I could afford to advertise here.....actually anywhere....but this would be the first place I would do it. Affordability is relative, like everything else, and while I'm not even breaking even at my current pace, I can't afford to spend even more on the gamble of advertising. Heck, I can't even afford to start an actual webpage right now, and a three month ad campaign is out of my budget. Maybe something less than a three month minimum would appeal to other small vendors as well?
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 05:18 AM UTC
Grifter. might I suggest you start by adding your company name in a link in your sig line? You mention you would like to grow your business yet you do not take advantage of the free space in your sig line to build your brand.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 05:38 AM UTC
He does... click on the "View my selected link"
AVRE165
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 181 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 09:17 AM UTC
hi

i will use my real name sorry .
some of you know or if not soon will be. that i look after a Website along with somebody else.
it is http://www.armouredengineers.co.uk/home.htm Armoured Engineers Branch REA.

we have had two websites. first one became a major,major player in that after 6 months we were getting 100,000 hits a day. mainly due to the content of the site ,pictures etc.now what we did was we offered banner adds. there ones like cotton trader ,world books etc. where the more people who look at the banners or take up offers earns the website money.

for reason i will not explain here we had to move very quickly to a new site & provider .
this we did .

we have to run this site on a shoe string. we have one advertiser that being Vickers. reason why Vickers are involved is of course Tition & Trojan. this cover the costs of the basic running of the site which is kept low.
to give you some idea i resize all pictures, etc for the web (working on a new update) there fore saving costs. so i only have to pay for the uplift of £2.50 per page.

now i will make a comment which is not meant to be detirementle in any way.

we were going to have a similar thing where members signed in to the website but we had problems with passwords etc.
this is my only bug bear with this site where we use a code that is difficult to rememeber.
now missing links , churchill site plus a few more lets you use a personal login code ok very similar but it seems alot easier.

i have a lot of modeling websites on my favorites this being one.

i would look at these banner adds where you can earn money.
ie Cotton traders. you get paid if a person logs on to there site through the banner add. you get money a % if they buy from it. but more over it cost you NOTHING because they supply the banner.
another source is a internet/mail order tool company that sells to the hobby.
hope this helps

ossie orsbourn

29Foxtrot
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 708 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 03:03 AM UTC
G'day Jim,

Shadoworks is a small resin company formed by modelers, as I'm the co founder and nominated as it's leader, as we had put our addvertising in a local model mag. Also being a contract model builder and seperating the two identities, I would addvertise a banner on this site, from July [which is when our advertising buget is allocated for the year].

I was introduced to this fantastic site by a friend, since I joined and have joined the A Guard, I've persuaded my fellow personal to join also, as yet they haven't done so. I'll get back to you closer to this date.

Regards
Rob

_GOTOTOP