_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Not worthy
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,523 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 01:32 AM UTC
I just want to say that Some of Your Guys work is just awesome. Makes we wonder if some of you guys just build models and that is your job. There is nothing wrong with that at all, But it is so hard for me to Build something of that caliber, I think I am a little scared of ruining something, Does anyone have like a Dio Idea, that would be a confidence builder, maybe recommend a good kit to use PE on and a Nice little Dio to go with it. Also to youhave to be an artist to do some of that stuff with Plaster or is it pretty easy? I have some many Nice kits in my Closet, but I am scared to build them, I just look at them and think man that would look cool done. it doesn't help that my job keeps me on the road about 250 days a year at least. I am in the Military and gone a ton, But my hats off to the Men and Women in Iraq, I hope this conflict will start to bring to light what the men and women went through in Vietnam. It is hard to fight when the Politics dictate mission. MY hats Off to all of you out there who where in any war especially Vietnam, and if somehow there are any WWII people left you were all heros!!!!!

Lowly Little AFSOC crew chief
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 842 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 01:57 AM UTC
for starters, try any tamiya kit that you might fancy. Don't rush...take your time...6 months or more...research alot...add some PE if you like or just build out of the box.

have fun...take it slow...check into the Armorama site daily, ask alot of questions ...
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
entire network: 424 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 02:14 AM UTC
I used to feel the same way - "I'm not good enough to build this the way I want it to appear - I'll just wait a while" and so the kit stash grew. I finally hit the point of "Sheesh. This kit was only 4 bucks. I'll practice on it..." and so the skills have started coming back.

Pick up a cheap kit or two, do your best on 'em, and figure that the next one will be just what you pictured in your minds eye.

Mika
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 02:18 AM UTC
I too am a not so good modeler. Research, patience and practice will help you survive. Also, posting here your questions and thoughts may give you an idea. As the pros had said, try some cheapo kits first. Don't rush. Also, to get better results, invest in tools more than kits.
dbusack
Visit this Community
South Dakota, United States
entire network: 971 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 02:36 AM UTC
I'm just getting back into modeling myself, but one thing I have found out is be careful of the really cheap models. I'm not saying you cannot get a good model cheap, but some of the ones I have worked with are rather crappy - poor fit, warpage, etc. Some of them end up giving you more problems than you ever wanted to fight through.

I'm not a first class modeler, but one thing I can suggest is read through some of the article on this site that are how to's. Once you see how it is done it makes it more do able. Skill will only come with time.

Don
ekaufman
Visit this Community
Haifa, Israel
entire network: 217 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 02:42 AM UTC
Iv'e seen some VERY Expensive models (resin etc) that were cra@p, bad fit, warp and all kinds of miss fits
dbusack
Visit this Community
South Dakota, United States
entire network: 971 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 03:29 AM UTC
This is true, and I have seen some from different companies that normally put out excellent quality that will not go together without a ton of putty and a razor saw

Don
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 03:39 AM UTC
Howdy Herc,

It's mighty nice of you to compliment the members here, especially the ones you admire the most. And there's also nothing wrong with a little humbleness either. In fact being humble about your own talents opens your mind to learning new ones, and is a good building block for your own selfconfidence.
Don't worry Herc, I can assure you that every modeler here didn't start out as an 'artist' as you call them. I don't doubt that more than a few of them have some of their 'early' work that they keep hidden in the closet.
From your Profile, it shows that you are presently in Japan...well, that's modelers HEAVEN for crikky sakes! Most of us here would give a months pay (and probably spend it too) to be able to do what you can do on any given day and hit some of those fantastic modeling shops they have over there! So, your ability to pick up a cheap model/models to 'practice' with goes without saying.
Need a suggestion? Want armour? How about the Tamiya M41 "Bulldog', it's pretty darn cheap here in the States, which means they probably pay YOU to take it out of the store there! Fits good, paints up well (see our Gunnies work), and you can include it in a small 'vignette' of some sort instead of a full blown diorama. You know, a smaller 'scene' if you will.
hth.

Tread.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 03:48 AM UTC
You dont have to prove anything to anybody. Build at your own level and enjoy it. Enjoying the hobby is number one .... your resulting work is a far off second place. If you enjoy it, you will strive to improve... then worry about coming to the standards of some of the builders on here. I do believe you should get a cheap kit or two ... build OOB paint and weather to your hearts content ... post some pictures and get some friendly advise, tips, pats on the back etc. With each new model, try a new technique or two and youŽll be surprised by your own achievements.
One thing you must remember ... everybody here, started off where you are now.
Best of luck!
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 1,969 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 04:01 AM UTC
Hi Herc,
Tread gives some good advise here ! I would like to add, Build for yourself. You are the only one you have to please. Techniques and fine detail will come in time, just dont forget to have fun while modeling. Thats what its all about!
Enjoy!

Cheers,
Garry
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 04:06 AM UTC
Herchealer,
There are indeed a couple guys here who regularly make money from modeling and a few others who have occasionally made money (or at least sold or made models on commission) but most of us are employed in other fields. Check the "what's your day job thread" for an idea of our diverse backgrounds.
Quality, we all start somewhere. I built my first model probably in 1955 or 56 and have been buildiong as an adult since 1976 and competing relatively successfuly since 1980, so there's a heck of a lot of practice in these hands. Believe me when I say most of our first models are pretty lame but with each new venture, we grow. I've been playing plastic/resin/metal artist a very long time and still have a lot to learn. Don't think of the high quality pictures you see here as a goal for your first model. That's not likely to happen, though it could. Think of them as learning tools. By all means, grab a kit from your stash and start building. Post in progress photos if you want feedback along the way. Ah, heck, just jump in the deep end of the pool and build it.
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 04:14 AM UTC
Me too.
You have to start somewhere, sometime. Save your best kits for later when you get the knack and experience but get stuck in on some of your cheaper kits and l agree take it slow.
Although I'm very happy with my results they wouldn't stand up next to most of the masterpieces you see on Armorama.
I'm sure with a bit of practice you'll be producing something you'll be proud of.
Ta Ta
Peter :-)
newtothegame
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 588 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 04:51 AM UTC
Herchealer

I feel that way often. I am pretty new to modeling and new to this site, but I have really started to see it as an inspiration. Where else can you get so many people with so many skills working to help make you better? and they do. Like it was suggested put together a model and post some pictures and then you will get suggestions that really do help make you better, and better yet you will get complements from the people who you have seen their work and really respect. It has been a large motivator for me.
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 678 Posts
KitMaker Network: 194 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 04:51 AM UTC
Hi Herchealer. I got back in the hobby about two years ago and I started with some less expensive kits to practice on and develop my skills. I would also suggest that with each kit try a new technique and remember the reason we do this is for fun. I am certain that with each build you will improve. Do you have any model clubs there in Japan? My local armor club has been invaluable to me in offering a source of knowledge and advice as well as a place to show my works in progress and get feedback.
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 05:23 AM UTC
Hi Herc,
I'd like to share the way I've tried to develop my modelling skills, without taking the fun out of the hobby at the same time.
When I decided to try to get serious about doing models, I would pick one new aspect to try on every kit. For example, on my first serious attempt, I concentrated on removing all of the mold seams. The next kit, I did this and added puttying the seams. And so on...
Don't get me wrong, these kits looked terrible but each one brought me a little closer to making a decent looking model. After awhile, I noticed that while I was concentrating on a new technique, the first ones were getting better.
I guess the point I'm trying to make is don't worry about doing everything right away. Take your time and develope your skills a little at a time.
I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck!
Craig
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 05:36 AM UTC
Herchealer,
first of all welcome aboard. What I can do is to re-inforce what the other fellas said: outstanding results cannot be achieved (at least usually) at the first attempt, it's matter of time and practice.
For what concerns the advice you're asking for, I can suggest that at the beginning you start with a model you know quite well or you have a good documentation about and try not to overshoot. Start to get to more complex things once you master the basics...
Ciao
(:-) (:-)
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,523 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 12:53 PM UTC
Thanks for all the input so far guys, I tried to post some pics on here for constructive critisism, but I got some odd response back that I didnt understand. it won't let me post in my gallery. How to do that I have no clue. I think once i figure out the posting pics I will start sending progress pics so I can learn more, you guys have already taught me a bunch of skills just by reading. Thanks everyone and keep up the awesome work!

Jeremy
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 03:15 PM UTC
You may not be sure now but, Since I've gotten back into modelling due to some pushing from my brother and this site, I am amazed at what I've done. You have found the best place to hone your skills. Bar none....I'll drink to that....
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 04:25 PM UTC
The single most important thing to to is just start. As you start working the skills in your hands will start to develope. Also your eye will start to be attuned to SEE what you are looking at. As you wrestle with some of the problems that come up, you will begin to understand what people/magazines/books are trying to say. Also you will begin to be able to read between the lines and catch what is not always stated. All of this only comes about by working on models.
In a nutshell, there is no easy way to proficiency except by working on model after model. All of the stuff said in the threads above is true, but, you still have to decide to jump in and learn.along with the rest of us. (it would be nice not to have to worry about family, job, etc BUT then one would not have a life at all!)
capnjock
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 06:39 PM UTC
After modelling for over 23 years i find a beginners interest everytime i start to build something new, and especially in dio's. To be a help to you i d suggest you pick an idea yourself and not anothers proposal on a dio, choose a picture, a movie scene that yoyu find interesting or different , something simple maybe a jeep and a soldier sitting for exampla, to start. build the model and figures asking for help here on what you think difficult and then build a lil base . With your imagination and skill and with all the reference and technical assistance from here i believe you will gain your confidence day by day and model by model. Of course time is a ver important issue to be afraid of, and lack of this keeps you a lil feared, but as have been said before , take 5-6 months to complete a project . There is no rush , only fun should be there when building. All of us have passed this stage and with some help from friends and a lot of building we came through. Good luck my friend
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 07:14 PM UTC
The main thing to keep in mind is practice makes perfect. I used to look at kits like, "dang I would like to build that, but it won't look good so forget it."

But I have been building when I can, and I learned a lot, and "practiced" a lot, and then I eventually grew more confident.

So go and start those kits int he closet! THey are calling you, they want you to build them!

~Chip :-)
Captain94
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 239 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 05:09 PM UTC
Since I started modeling again 3 or 4 years ago, I've only completed 3 to date.

Slow? maybe, but each kit I complete, I notice my skill level going up as well as my patience for the whole process ( I had little patience for the details when i was young #:-)

Like others in this thread have said, take your time and do it for yourself and enjoy the hobby! Modeling is supposed to be FUN, not something to worry to excess about.

I have learned alot in this fourm, I think you can too......most of all, have fun!

_GOTOTOP