_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How many projects going....
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 01:57 AM UTC
What is the average number of projects (dioramas, armor, AC, ships, whatever) do you have going at any one time?

I find that I typically have 3 to 4 going
an aircraft
an armor
and one or two dioramas..

How about you?

(:-)
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 02:09 AM UTC
Hi Scott

I'm really bad at getting distracted and not finishing stuff, so I try to stick to one at a time these days!

I've already signed up for quite a few overlapping builds next Spring; RMG, DFA, and Japanese Aiircraft - that lot should test my ability to stay focussed!

All the best

Rowan
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: -2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 02:10 AM UTC
hey scott

currently i have 4 going - finishing the wirbel diorama, operation coverup sherman dio, 1/16 dragon obersturmfurher, and scifi winterbuild halycon aliens kits, as well as helping my two youngest build thier two kits, 1/72 peeping mig & 1/72 harrier gr3 lol

busy busy busy (++) (:-)

alpha
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 02:18 AM UTC
usually just one to two models at a time
anything more would over run my workspace too much

good luck with your four concurrent projects
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 02:21 AM UTC
Er....M10, Kubelwagon, Prada Staff Car, Hummel, Nashorn, Marder IIIM, Amphibious Jeep, Famo & Trailer, 1/16th Kubelwagon, couple of figures, Marder 1a, Luchs......just can't seem to get anything finished these days....so much good stuff coming out!

Vinnie
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 02:46 AM UTC
3 or 4 projects at once is usually the norm for me. I try to keep it at 1 plane, one armor, one vignette and one ship, but sometimes the organization becomes tiresome, and I wind up with 3 of one and one other on the table. I find that working on different types of projects keeps me from getting bored with any particular one.

Mike
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 04:40 AM UTC
I currently have four projects on the go right now, that's usually the norm for me. As one draws to a finish I start another. Even so I seem to buy more than I finish. My one new year's resolution is to build all the kits I have in storage before I buy any more.....unless I see a real bargain.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 05:31 AM UTC
I have 7active right now, plus a few awaiting weathering. That's about average for me. Some get I do with no interuption, others take a year or more of off and on work.

Chuck
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 1,969 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 05:54 AM UTC
Right now I have two going, a Academy 1/35 151A1 Jeep with 106mm recoiless rifle and a Tamiya 1/350 Battleship Yamoto. Although I am only working on the Jeep at this time. Normaly I only work on one at a time so I can stay focused.

Regards,
Garry
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 09:08 AM UTC
I'm still a MADD victim, with more than 25 projects started and in various stages of completion.

A couple of Panthers, T62, T80SMT, E100, 3-4 M113's, 2x IDF jeeps, SA 9 and that's just the top of the pile...

Mike
Puma112
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 09:42 AM UTC
Scott,

I have 6 to 10 going at any one time. I HATE painting, so I get them almost all to the paint stage and them cross that line (into the abyss of misery!) and paint as a group. Except for figures, that's the way it goes!! Have a great weekend!!

AntPhillips
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 118 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 10:19 AM UTC
I'm another that hates painting, its probably because my workbench set up isn't permanent and I have to wait for the warmth of summer to paint outside, it can be a long wait in this neck of the woods

I have at the moment :

1. Italeri LandRover 109, painted and part weathered (my first weathering with pastels)
2. Tamiya Chieftain almost finished waiting for painting
3. Italeri M109 started waiting for inspiration to kick in.
4. Italeri M7 Priest coming along nicely was going to be a quick OOB build but I hate those stiff Italeri tracks they just won't sit right so they'll have to be replaced.
5. Last but not least my first major scratchbuild, a Cruiser tank MkIV, on hold right now but hope to start again after Christmas.

I tend to have a number of projects at differing stages, and so depending how I feel I can do some major construction or a bit of detail work, just have to select the kit.

Happy modelling

Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 10:54 AM UTC
hi Scott,
just finished the cover-up dio
working on the figures of RMG campaign
finished 3 SAFS figures and a future infantry converted figure and now working on a sci-fi diorama
building an italeri schwimmwagen with fully loaded back seat
scraping uniforms of some figures from spare box to change them US figures with interceptor body armors
(:-)
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 11:14 AM UTC
Hey Guys!

Im like most people and have several different balls in the air at the same time. At the moment Im doing:

1) Sculpting a 200mm bust from scratch, I only work on this time to time, not as often as I should.

2) Elite Miniatures 54mm Bremen Reg. Ensign. The figure is just about done and all I need to do is paint the flag (gonna take a while . . .) and one of the gloves.

3) Andrea Miniatures 54mm Mohawk Warrio, the skins are in progress but thats all thats done

4) Also got a few figures that was started long time ago:

a) Latorre's Roman General aka. Russ Crowe as Maximus
b) Andrea Miniatures 1.8th scale Pirate Bust (almost done, should really finish it as Ive only got maybe one or two hours left of painting on him)

I should work on one subject at a time but I find that kind of hard to do, for some strange reason
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 01:28 PM UTC
Same here Finishing Maus plus the Panzer III Ausf L Panzer III Ausf G Tiger I late.
Need to do M1A1, M-10 ,Panther late version.
Start Tamiya 1/16 scale Tiger 1 some time next year!
Want to do the Afv club Sd.Kfz.11
plus the leFH18 10.5cm Howitzer.
Also the Pak 43/41 8.8cm anti-tank gun
Wish the year would grow by 3 or 4 months!! (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-)
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 01:52 PM UTC
Looks like I'm about average. I have four projects on the work table and am trying to get a couple of them finished by the end of the year. Gotta make room for the Christmas booty! (:-) (:-) (:-)
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 04:42 PM UTC
I have Deffinately TOO many in progress. I must make a New Years resolution to change my
plastic Habits. These are a few on the bench now.
1/48 AH-6, 1/48 OH-58, 1/48 F-84 Thinderbirds, 1/48 Hokum, 1/48 AH-1F, (2) 48th F4 Phant.
48th MH-60G, 1/48 YB-40, 1/35 SdKfz 222, 35th TAM's Tank, 35th M728 CEV, 35th MTVE, 35th LVTP 7,
35th Hummer, 1/12th B.O.T. SRX600, 1/12th YZR500, 1/25th VW Baja, 1/24 C5R Vette.
And I am sure I have missed a few. I must finish some SOON.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 05:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm still a MADD victim, with more than 25 projects started and in various stages of completion.

Dont know what MADD is but I was suffering with having about 25 projects started and most of them sitting in different stages. Never again. I spent the whole of 2003 trying to finish them. I still have Italeris M4A1, M32 recovery and M7 priest in the finishing stages. Italeri bergetiger 50% built. AFV M88A1 and Revells M88A1G at about 75% built and several figures to add to finished vehicles. I want to get back to the stage where I can work on one project at a time. As I mostly build dios ar at least a base and figures there is plenty of different challenges to keep me interested. Hopefully by the end of 2004 I will be there!
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 11:05 AM UTC
Right now:
2 AC in final stages.
1 Armor (M4A1 76W) ready for weathering.

I will start my next project after my vacations. This is in midle January.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 11:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Dont know what MADD is but I was suffering with having about 25 projects started and most of them sitting in different stages.
snipped

Hopefully by the end of 2004 I will be there!

Modelers
Attention
Defecit
Disorder...

The inability to finish any one project before starting 2-3 others..

I have been modeling in an apartment for the last 4 yrs, and trying to keep projects out of reach of the now 4-yr old son.
We just bought a house and once all the honey-do projects are finished, I'll have a real live model building room.. I plan to finish off a lot of projects this year as well.

Mike
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 09:12 PM UTC
MADD is in the same Genus Species as AMS = Advanced Modeler Syndrom
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 01:44 PM UTC

lol, lol, lol.....I'm sorry, but this is not the first time this question has been asked. And, as usual, I find it very entertaining to hear everybody apologizing about having more than 1 or 2 projects going at any one time....... ................... fella's, it's no crime to have multiple kits in multiple stages of completion. Take a moment and think about life in general, we ALL have multiple things going on around us at ALL times...don't we? Unless you're an assembly line worker in Bore'sville, North Dakota (I'm hoping there's not really a place called that), that live's with his mommy in an apartment in her basemant, you've GOT to have multiple things going on normally........so, why apologize?
Personally, I enjoy having several projects in different stages. It keeps my interest piqued, and my application fresh! The same thing goes for my day job. If it didn't keep me 'on my toes' at all times, and stayed 'fresh'..........heck, I'd just pack up and move to Bore'sville and live with somebodies mom...... #:-)

Tread.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 02:07 PM UTC
I usually have one going on at a time,right now two, it usually is an aircraft , or an armor piece. The armor piece usually gets the most attention because of thier BIG size.
LittleNick
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 147 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2004 - 04:31 PM UTC
man how can all you minds handle that much.
i still have to stick to one at a time
Tankera1
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 138 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 01:15 AM UTC
I suffer from an odd maledy called perfectionism. My problem is finishing a project without becoming disgusted with it because I have made a mistake and "ruined it". Most projects find themselves in the trashcan after hours of work. Yes, I know that is a real problem.
 _GOTOTOP