History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
What do we now do with Saddam?
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 08:51 AM UTC
DJ:
I think you are correct. The end is inevidable for the reasons you stated and for the fact that as long as he remains alive the Iraqi people will always have the fear that he may still come back.
The thing to me is.. Where to hold the trial?? Do you have it in an Arab State, his own country, or some neutral site. No matter where security will have to be tighter than anything ever seen before.
The fact that he gave up without a fight may take the Martyr Status out a bit.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 09:43 AM UTC
I think it is critical that thee trial be held in Iraq. As for Bin Laden. Definitely bring him to New York and put him in the Tombs awaiting trial.
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2004 - 01:03 PM UTC
It's best that he be tried before his own people. We need to give the Iraqis the confidence to run their country and chart their future. This could be a start.
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 02:59 AM UTC
I was in Bahrain for the first Gulf war and here in Saudi for the second. Not the best places to be with conflict in the region. My thanks goes to all the forces lads who pinned him and for keeping me safe.
I think he should be tried by the Iraqi people, his crimes were against them so he belongs to them and whatever they do with him is fine by me.
But on balance I tend to agree with warlock0322. The Americans and others, were the catalyst in bringing him to justice, but thet do not have the right to decide what becomes of him. Bin Laden however is a completly different ball-game.
Peter
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 05:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was in Bahrain for the first Gulf war and here in Saudi for the second. Not the best places to be with conflict in the region. My thanks goes to all the forces lads who pinned him and for keeping me safe.
I think he should be tried by the Iraqi people, his crimes were against them so he belongs to them and whatever they do with him is fine by me.
But on balance I tend to agree with warlock0322. The Americans and others, were the catalyst in bringing him to justice, but thet do not have the right to decide what becomes of him. Bin Laden however is a completly different ball-game.
Peter

Peter-- so what do you think will happen with Bin Laden? Personally, I doubt they will ever take him alive.
But, if they should what is your projection on who should do what with him?
thanks
DJ
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 10:56 PM UTC
Hi 210cav,
someone had to ask. Although most of his crimes are against Americans there have been many victims from all Nations, so I think he should be dealt with Internationally. But you are right...if he's captured alive.
Touchy subject here.
Cheers
Peter
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 05:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi 210cav,
someone had to ask. Although most of his crimes are against Americans there have been many victims from all Nations, so I think he should be dealt with Internationally. But you are right...if he's captured alive.
Touchy subject here.
Cheers
Peter

Peter is it a touchy subject there because he is viewed as a "hero" by some?
DJ