_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Official: Helicopter Crossover Campaign
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 - 04:02 PM UTC
Hello whirlybird fans,

Welcome to the official campaign thread for the Kitmaker-wide helicopter crossover campaign. Naval helicopters, Army helicopters, Air Force helicopters, Civil helicopters, Science Fiction helicopters, whatever paint job your subject wears, it's welcome here.

Please post your campaign camaraderie and adventures here. You must post a minimum of two pictures in this thread, although as many more as you care to post are strongly encouraged. Separate build logs are also welcome, either in this forum, or in a forum on your home site. For those who wish, the Rotory Wing Forum at Aeroscale is a completely appropriate location for a build log.

A minimum of two photos must be posted in the gallery to qualify for your ribbon. The campaign runs until June 30th, 2014.

This thread will not be pinned to the top of the forum, so if you wish to keep track of it, remember to subscribe and receive e-mailed notifications of new updates.
Removed by original poster on 01/02/14 - 16:11:02 (GMT).
ljames0874
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 04:13 AM UTC
.... and we're off!

Good luck everyone!
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 03:20 PM UTC
Mine is going to be several orders of magnitude older than that one

Although still a respectable size

With some lovely Maple Leaves to hang on it

It's going to look something like this
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 02:24 PM UTC
I'll be building a few of these little critters.

The Army had a couple of them on Kwajalein in several colorful paint schemes

I'll have to scratch build some pontoons.

Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 04:05 PM UTC
You'll have to do some converting as well. That's a UH-1H, not a UH-1N that your kits are. The -N was a twin engined aircraft as opposed to the single engine -H. The nose was notably rounder as well, and the foot windows much larger.

In the following image, the Bell 205 is the UH-1H and the Bell 212 is the UH-1N (the -204 is the short fuselage A - C variant)

The US Army never flew -N model Hueys.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 04:32 PM UTC
The Fit of this kit is approximate at best

I'm going to need the help of a friendly octopus to hold everything in place while I fiddle around with the fit, trimming, sanding and generally persuading all to stay where it's supposed to.
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,160 Posts
KitMaker Network: 123 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 08:50 AM UTC
I'm a little late to the party.

My plan is to scratch build a fast attack chopper from this pile of pieces, built around a Bell Chopper. I'll probably go with a pusher design and a twin tail. I'm still kicking around some ideas and designs.

If that fails to fly, I'll go with my back-up plan. Dragon's 1/35 AH-6J Little Bird.

windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,917 Posts
KitMaker Network: 133 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 09:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm a little late to the party.

My plan is to scratch build a fast attack chopper from this pile of pieces, built around a Bell Chopper. I'll probably go with a pusher design and a twin tail. I'm still kicking around some ideas and designs.

Alex, that's my plan too -- hit the parts box and make what should have been!
-Sean H
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 06:02 PM UTC
Sean,
I'm going to push the work on the spares box chopper design over the weekend. I should know if it's going to work out or not. I think my big issue is going to be the fabrication of the fuselage.

If it comes to it, I'll build the Little Bird as my primary submission. Then, I might just do a simpler attack version of the Bell H-13 as a secondary project. I figure 2-4 .50 cals and rockets for weapons. Maybe add some armor plates around the engine and cockpit areas.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 07:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If it comes to it, I'll build the Little Bird as my primary submission. Then, I might just do a simpler attack version of the Bell H-13 as a secondary project. I figure 2-4 .50 cals and rockets for weapons. Maybe add some armor plates around the engine and cockpit areas.

That's pretty much what the US Army did with H-13s in their early gunship experiments.
Kanguroo
Visit this Community
Vietnam
entire network: 416 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 08:22 PM UTC

Hi,
That's my mess. No box, no package. But I'll try to change it better.
Hope you accept this status. Thanks.
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,917 Posts
KitMaker Network: 133 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 02:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sean,
I'm going to push the work on the spares box chopper design over the weekend. I should know if it's going to work out or not. I think my big issue is going to be the fabrication of the fuselage.

If my spares box didn't have a suitable fuselage to donate, I was considering going way out on that limb and using a plastic egg, after what fun the Egg Planes Campaign was. Actually, I didn't look lately, but I remember there being a chopped down HH-53 in there.
I do intend to stop short of recreating the penguins and monkeys' flying contraption from Madagascar 2!
-Sean
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 06:59 AM UTC
Jessica,
I kind of want to tweak the profile a bit so it doesn't look like a H-13 with bits added on. The biggest feature is that bubble canopy. I change that shape and it'll help alot in changing the shape as a whole. I hate to lose the pusher prop feature but that looks like it's going to be tough to pull off.

I figure to place it in the late 50s- early 60s so its armaments are limited to the 50 cals and rockets. I might try to squeeze in a 20mm cannon.

Sean,
I figure the H13 frame will work well. I can use the frame as a template to cut out plating and get away with the flat surface look. I'd love to have a curved fuselage but I think that's just beyond my skills at the moment. I use to have an old 1/40 AD-1 that would have worked well for a autogyro, using the H13's rotor assembly. I thought about using a 1/48 Bristol Gladiator or a PT Steerman for an autogyro fuselage but it just didn't look right to me.

Anyway, I'll probably do the AH-6 and see what happens after that. After that it's all gravy. Plus, I do love me some what-if subjects.
PrickleHead
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 05:18 PM UTC
Hi all

My entry for this:

Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 06:49 PM UTC
I've been very curious about that one. I'll be following this build closely
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 07:21 AM UTC
I wish they'd make a H-34 in 1/35 or even 1/32 scale. I've got a picture of one of my Great Uncles boarding one over in Korea.
PlasticGeezer
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 28 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 08:45 AM UTC
I have a Revell 1/48 AH-1F in my stash that I'm going to do. I'm on a budget, so it'll be an out of the box build. I'll get started as soon as I get my camera.
PrickleHead
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 03:27 PM UTC
Sent off for Eduard's masking, detailing and cargo seatbelts for my Gallery H-34 so might be a slight delay in starting until they arrive.

Am looking forward to seeing all these Helos, especially that big Merlin and the Shawnee.
North4003
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 03:34 AM UTC
I'm considering a CH53 in 1/87 to go along with my airport project. It really needs to get off the ground.
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 07:32 AM UTC
I broke styrene on my Little Bird last night.

Assembled the bulkhead separating the pilots from the rear compartment. And then filled in the specified holes on the floor.

And this is what they look like when combined.

It's a start. A shame Dragon didn't include the side doors. I might have gone with a civilian version. Or maybe the armed chopper from "Blue Thunder". Now that would look great on the shelf next to the old 1/32 Blue Thunder kit.
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 05:45 AM UTC
More progress on the Little Bird.

Assembled pilots' positions.

Weapons mount and the center console. I left the console off of the pilots' section to make painting easier.

And the weapons mount assembled. I left the miniguns belt feed lines off until later. They want you to bend these but I could see them breaking.

Assemblies for the tail and the rearmost interior bulkhead.

Tail assembly assembled. I left the tail rotor off for now to avoid it getting broken.

And the various sub-assemblies assembled so far.

I'm thinking about moving away from the kit's all-black color scheme. The kit has a lot of detail that is just going to be swallowed up in all that black. I might go with an aircraft in use with a federal agency like the DEA or ATF...or maybe even a private security company.
llking
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 04:26 PM UTC
I'm in with the new KittyHawk SA 365F.

drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 - 06:52 AM UTC
Here we go!
This is my entry for this campaign, it has a rotor and it was availabel in my stack.

That is a two birds with one stone situation

Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 06:04 AM UTC
Change of plans. I'm not going to build the what-if chopper based on the Bell H-13. I got hit with a dose of inspiration and am instead going to use it as the framework for a what-if submersible....maybe steam punk. I'm still in with the Little Bird though and should be getting back to work on it soon.
 _GOTOTOP