_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
IPMS meeting report
Fritz
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 495 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 12:26 AM UTC
Hello to all!
It was a very fine day today over at IPMS Philippines. So this is the report that I promised to you guys.
First, IÕm now an official member of IPMS BAC, Hooray!! HereÕs some drinks for you all!!!! . Well to you at least coz IÕm still a minor & I donÕt want to drink to my own destruction.
Second, I want to congratulate Buck for winning the Bert Anido Cup with his excellently detailed 1/72 Huey, How did you do the panel lines anyway Buck? Also to our Moderator Jeepney because now heÕs ENGAGED, Congrats!!!! :-H:-H:-H .

Okay, here are the events accdg. to time:

1430-1515 hrs: I arrived bringing with me my FAMO & King Tiger. I met Hunter, Buck, Frank & his Aircraft modelling buddy(I forgot his name), & of course our great Moderator, Jeepney. I was also greeted by other modellers. They asked many things about me. I saw all the participating models & BuckÕs Huey immediately caught my attention. I also met ?Ransee/Hansee/Hensee? WhatÕs his name again? Who built an IDF self-propelled 155 mm howitzer & IDF Centurion. By God those were works of mastery. He completed the howitzerÕs interior with Rounds, empty shells, Tie downs, scratchbuilt breech, resin engine, & lots of tie downs & the Centurion with scratchbuilt/AM stowges & downright excellent weathering. There was also Doc Hermie who built this EXTREMELY DETAILED Black hawk. He used 2 Black hawk kits, 2 cellphones, 1 radio, 1 PLDT phone & a 1 inch pile of photographs taken from 1 of 2 Black hawks that the Philippines have to make that 1/48 model. I tell you, youÕll be a drop jaw-speechless guy when you see that. He scratchbuilt the rotor, turbines, interior, instrument panel, seats & heÕs even planning to open up the tail section. Also, a modeller named Mel was there with his 100% scratchbuilt 1/48th scale plane (Sorry, I donÕt know anything about planes, just ask Buck if you want to know what that plane was). He used epoxy, Styrene cards & all sorts of stuff to make the plane. God those were great scratchbuilders.

1515-1550 hrs: Introductions were made on the new members & guests. Dedications to Bert Anido were made. All contest rules were discussed by Doc Hermie same with the future plans of IPMS BAC. A fellow armorama member & long time member of IPMS came while the dicussions were made. He was the photographer & an expert on anything German, he was Albert Labrador(Alabrador was his callsign).

1550-1740 hrs: The contest was held. All socializing was made. I met some members who were asking questions to me about my stuff. I talked to another member(forgot the name again, maybe I was to excited to remember anything) that won the ÒBert Anido awardÓ. We talked about some modern stuff, especially Assault Rifles & helmets. He even brought some REAL modern American army helmets, those that are made with Kevlar. I tried them on & they were really heavy I tell you. I also talked with ?Ransee/Hansee/Hensee? About his detailing stunts with his tanks. Also with Doc Hermie who discussed his own detailing stunts on his excellent Black hawk.
Iwas surrounded by Master Modellers.

1740-1800 hrs: The meeting/contest was over. Most of them stayed a while to talk more but I decided to come home since my parents were already there. So I said goobye to all of them & they too bade Farewell.

P.S. I found out that Albert Labrador was also a Mac user like me & Crismag.
P.S.S. The Gambier bay Carrier was currently inaccessible that time so they assured me that I would see it next time. I volunteered to help in the painting of the Island control tower.

So there it is, my very fine day at IPMS BAC. I hope that in the next meeting(Dec. 14), some of you guys will come to also enjoy the company of you fellow modellers. BTW, Jeepney, have you joined also?

Happy Modelling!!!

:-) :-) :-) :-)
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 12:33 AM UTC
Tell me how you've become a member.
buck
Visit this Community
entire network: 437 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 04:29 AM UTC
Fritz,

Thanks! I just got lucky, thats all. We were astounded with your models as well. You have a very firm grasp of the fundamentals. Youve learned in 2-3 years of building what usually takes us about 5-7 years of discovery! Albert ("Katze"), Rancie ("Liebgott"), Frank ("Chopper") and myself were among the most amazed.

Welcome to IPMS-BAC, you and Jeep! Its an honor to have you both. Youll get to see the Gambier Bay in future meets. Its locked away in another building at the moment. We still have a long way to go with the ship, but we have the luxury of not having time limits. We'll be building the ship for fun more than anything else.

Shonen,

In behalf of Fritz and Hunter, membership is open to everyone. We'll be honored to have all Armorama members on board. There is a P200 annual membership fee and a membership form and thats about it. Like Fritz, I wish we'll see you and the others in the next meet.

Our site will be updated in the next few days. It will show photos of today's event. Just log on at http://ipms-phils.50megs.com.
blitz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 502 Posts
KitMaker Network: 432 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 05:15 AM UTC
Fritz,

Thanks for the report, it was indeed one worthy experience and yes Buck is right 2-3 years you'll be building like the pro's just never give up the hobby..

Buck
Congratulations again on your win, can't wait to see the photos posted on the IPMs-BAC site

Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 01:08 PM UTC
Naunahan ako

1430: Arrived with future wifey. Called up Hunter and told him we were just outside the venue perusing the delectable array of fishballs and kikiam courtesy of manong. What followed next was a whirlwind of intros, handshakes, names and callsigns (buck, liebgott, ramrod, etc) that I immediately forgot but hope to recall someday hehe. Take note that this will be the last time I looked at my watch so all times will be estimates from now on.

1500ish: Went around talking to people, gawking at all the Philippine Air Force planes. It was a real eye opener that's for sure. Then Dr. Hermie, a splitting image of his namesake Guarniere, came in with a box full of parts. Out came a gutted fuselage, two turbine engines, a transmission unit, an overhead console, seats, cockpit, a pile of photos, and some spinal anesthetic needles. The doctor then started operating, sliding and attaching one part after another into the fuselage until it became the Presidential Blackhawk. It's unpainted for now but the consensus was to leave it unpainted. It looked like all it needed was some oil and Jet A-1 and it will be ready to fly.

1530ish: Formal meeting began. We were introduced to the life of Bert Anido and the contributions he made to the modeling community. Then some judging rules were read out. Some rules for next year were also presented for future discussion.

1545ish: The fun began. The judges whipped out pen and paper and began looking at all 26 entries. All scales from 1/32 to 1/72 were presented. These guys really are detail gurus. Better not let your phone out of your sight while they're assembling something or its innards might become part of an engine or cockpit One of the members is reputed to have a pile of plastic sheet in his workshop. Every now and then he'll take out a flat sheet and say: "this will be a tank" or "this will be some obscure plane that is not available in kit form". Supremo Frank Ching also gave me a rundown on what paints to use for natural metal planes.

I went into a very animated conversation with Jep and Abet (who I later found out was the son of Bert Anido ) when they found out I was one of the few armor modelers there. These guys have access to 99% of Philippine armor, classified and otherwise. If you thought the Israelis were imaginative, wait til you see what our local armor talyers have come up with. How about an M113 with a Scorpion upper hull and turret grafted to the roof? Or another M113 with an LVTP (not sure) turret and an M113 commander's hatch on top of it? They are working on a SCRATCHBUILT V-300 among other projects. Definitely the guys to go to if you want to model Philippine armor.

Thought the future wifey was bored? Heck no! She learned a lot from the very generous and friendly people there. "Shock and awe" would be a very apt description of what she was experiencing. She thought I was crazy but after meeting the guys there, she now realizes I'm just a beginner

And whoever called Fritz "Future" might be psychic. A lot of the guys there couldn't believe that the excellent Famo and Tiger II were made by a 13 year old. If there was a "Darling of the Crowd" award Fritz would have gotten it hands down. He gave hope to the community of young once that even with TV and video games, some kids still want to get down and dirty with glue and paint. Let's just hope he doesn't get too distracted with chinitas

Thank you very much guys! We had a lot of fun! Congratulations to those who won! We hope to reach your level of expertise someday.

So if you guys are still holding out from attending one of their meetings, don't think twice. It's a lot of fun I tell you. No one's an outsider. Everyone's welcome.

PS: I'm now a member too
blitz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 01:38 PM UTC
again, thanks for the report Jeepney.. very vivid indeed.. especially the fishballs and kikiam.. boy do we miss that..by the way have you met Ping and Don..
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 01:46 PM UTC
I might have met them but with the flood of new faces and names I can't say for sure
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 04:25 PM UTC
Hello All,

First off, Many Thanks for the kind words, Fritz & Jeepney. Congratulations Jeepney on your engagement. Fritz & Jeepney, Welcome to the Club. My apologies for not having spent more time with you both, I was busy running around like a headless chicken. But you guys helped make our day!

Fritz: The 1/48 seaplane is a Grumman Hu-16B Albatross, totally scratchbuilt by Mel (Webster), a one-of-a-kind modeler. That Kevlar helmet looked good on you. We were all amazed with your FAMO & King Tiger. I think some members are beginning to feel threatened at the skills you possess at so young an age.

Shonen Red: The only requirement to join is you must be a modeler or appreciate the hobby. If I may correct Buck (else I get lynched by all the new members in the next meeting), the annual membership fee has been increased to Php 250. The Php 50 increase goes to the IPMS Phils. BAC Cooperative fund. The "co-op" is a benefit which any member in good standing can avail of. It can be used for kit purchases. Details can be made available to the members.

Jeepney: The member you refer to as having a pile of plastic sheets in his workshop is Mel (Webster). It's a private joke which you will understand when you get to know him better. You do have a very patient & supportive fiancee. I was a bit worried she was beginning to feel "left out" during the event. I'm glad you found the experience of your first IPMS BAC meeting rewarding. Stick around, someday you will surpass our skills.

Blitz: Manong of the fishball fame is our official caterer. Without him our meetings are never the same. Unfortunately Ping & Donn didn't show up, I was looking for them to tell them you said "Hi". Maybe next time.

Hunter
jepot
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
entire network: 37 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 06:37 PM UTC
Hello, I am jepot, and new here. i am also from IPMS and me, Abet ( also of IPMS) had a chat last night with Jeepney, who graciously invited us here at your forum; considering the title is ARMORama, I thought that the topics discussed here were purely armor, but nevertheless its militaria and scale modelling in general pala; good! thats what keeps the hobby of scale modelling alive. Anyway, as noted in a post above, Abet and I are into ( for me its also) armor, but we focus primarily on Philippine armor topics. If you dont know, here in Metro Manila, we have a few pieces of actual armor on display which is accessible to the general public, and these include the following:
PA Museum - located beside HPA, Ft BOnifacio, Makati, there are, among others, an M41, M101, M113, V150, AIFV, Samaritan, and some pieces of light artillery on display on the grounds.
AFP MUsuem - located at GHQAFP infront of the Grandstand, armor displayed include an M113, an M41, and an FV101
HPMC- Headquarters Phil Marine Corps displays an LVTP5 and a turretless V150 at the side of the building, seen on the road
HPN- Roxas Blvd, Manila, has an operational LVTH 6 (yes it is operational; the guys who drove it there told me so)
Some data and trivia for Philippine armor:
1.We had 7 M41 tanks in use back in the 70s and to date, the locations of these are at AFP Museum, PA Museum, Cp Aquino, Cp ODonnel (2), and at PSG Compound, where the M41 is painted in an interesting urban scheme
2. In the Scorpion family, we have Scorpions, Samaritans and a Samson recovery vehicle ( sorry havent seen a pic of it yet)
3. We also have M113 Fitters, as in the ACademy kit- the HIAB crane is correct but you will have to find an Australian kit of the spade located at the back to make your model accurate.
4. The Simba line of vehicles come in the basic Simba, Simba w/Oerlikon KBA25mm gun, the Simba ambulance, and the Command vehicle which can be distinguished from the standard Simba by a small mobile antenna llocated at the center edge of the rear upper hull of the vehicle.
So much for starters. I hope You learned a few things about the local armor we use. Jeepney, how do I post pictures?
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 06:41 PM UTC
Welcome MASH!

If those pictures are already online you can simply link to them by composing a post and clicking on the "img" button bellow where you type the text. Then replace the text between the "img" tags with the address of your pic and voila! Pic posted! You could also email your pics to [email protected] for posting to the site's gallery.

Stick around and have fun!
jepot
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
entire network: 37 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 06:52 PM UTC
I see. Sige Ill try to study the website more and see what I can post here; anyway, I hope Abet and I can be of help to whoever is interested in Philippine armor topics; again thanks and have a nice day! MyDocs/ARMORjep/PSGCmba
blitz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 07:00 PM UTC
Welcome Jepot, it's really great to see a lot of new names here in Filipino Modelers Phorum. And thank you for flooding us with information on our local armor..Hmm, I was thinking of doing the Scorpion in urban camo, maybe in the near future...again welcome
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 07:39 PM UTC
Looks like you guys had great fun. You make me envious! Hehehehe! Wish I was there.

Greetings Jepot! Welcome to our weeeeeeeee little Phorum. :-)

BTW, WHERE'S THE PIX?!?!?!?

BTW, that uber-detailed BlackHawk - was that the same one at the Motorex last year?

Yep! Fritz is "Future" alright. IIRC, that's what I labelled him at the AAR of Operation LILS.
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 07:50 PM UTC
Hey Jepot, welcome. Nice to see you here.

GIBeregovoy: If I may reply, Guarnere started working on the Blackhawk months ago with the hope of entering it in the Bert Anido Cup. It's a totally new build and you have to see it to believe it. A few lucky ones had a glimpse of it when we had an impromptu "Unfinished Kits" contest last October. It won 1st prize so we knew what we were up against. Unfortunately he wasn't able to finish it, so he brought it along for "bragging rights".

Jeepney: This thought just in. Is it possible to link our website to yours here at Armorama? If okay, what should we do?

Thanks.

Hunter
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 07:57 PM UTC
Fia: I see. BTW, in-the-pipeline-Op.JMN's date has been changed to 28. The reason is in the Jiminy Cricket thread (yip, I'm an arse. ) Assuming it's a green light for Jiminy, I hope to see that BlackHawk, finished or not. :-)
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 08:04 PM UTC
I already emailed El Jefe aka Bossman about the website Hunter. All we have to do is put a link to Armorama from the IPMS-BAC website and we're all set.
buck
Visit this Community
entire network: 437 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 11:40 PM UTC
Hey, MASH is here! Welcome MASH! This is a great site, isnt it?

Blitz,
Sure wish you were home, man. We'll have a swell time eating fishballs and kikiam.

GI,
There's always a next meeting, my friend. I tell you, having Armorama daily and monthly meetings is a blast. If youre free, please do drop by.

Hunter,

Sorry I forgot about the co-op fund. Hehehe! I stand erected, este, corrected.

Fritz
Visit this Community
entire network: 495 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 02:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A lot of the guys there couldn't believe that the excellent Famo and Tiger II were made by a 13 year old

Jeepney! i'm 14 yrs. old by the way.

Quoted Text

Fritz: The 1/48 seaplane is a Grumman Hu-16B Albatross, totally scratchbuilt by Mel (Webster), a one-of-a-kind modeler. That Kevlar helmet looked good on you. We were all amazed with your FAMO & King Tiger. I think some members are beginning to feel threatened at the skills you possess at so young an age.

Thanks! I also liked that helmet. Pity it costs P 10000.
Me a threat?! ha! wala pa nga ako sa kalingkinan nila. Pagkita ko pa lang ng nung gawa ni Doc Hermie at yung IDF tanks eh natulala na ako. But thanks anyway for the comments. I really hope that my "speedy" learning will continue. I salute you Master Modellers!
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 03:13 AM UTC
Hello jepot and wlecome to Armorama! Pls do post your info on the fropiles page to make it more formal.

BTW, fiawrc, beside being a member, does it have special identifications like ID's and extras?
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 10:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, fiawrc, beside being a member, does it have special identifications like ID's and extras?

I think you also get to learn a secret handshake, passwords in all model stores for exotic materials, and access to tons of tsismis. #:-)

Where's the pix of the event? Where's the pix of the event? Where's the pix of the event? #:-)
blitz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 11:06 AM UTC
Where's the pix of the event? Where's the pix of the event? Where's the pix of the event?

yeh,yeh, yeh.... snickering(a muttley impersonation)
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 02:19 PM UTC
GIBeregovoy & Blitz: I just spoke with our Webmaster and he said he will post them in the IPMS Phils. Bert Anido website later today. Please accept our sincere apologies.

Hunter
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 02:31 PM UTC
Hello Shonen Red,

We have discussed the issue of members' IDs before & voted against it. We are planning though, to make round-neck tee-shirts which we can all wear in special events to identify who we are. Tee shirts with collars are also being considered.

Membership benefits include participation in internal contests, field trips (like riding in one of the APCs of the Army - I can't remember now if it was a Scorpion), other special events (like the Pearl Harbor display in Robinson's a few years ago), exhibits, the Co-operative, etc. Then there is the wealth of information on the hobby which is readily shared with members. Plus you get to meet fellow "kalog" modelers regularly, an event which, for many of us, is the highlight of our month.

Hunter
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 04:44 PM UTC
Elder Fia: Please don't get me wrong, I'm not seriously demanding the pix outright.
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 05:44 PM UTC
No problem Grizzly Bear. Was my response too serious? I just read my post again & it seems serioso nga ang dating. Sorry, I didn't mean anything by that. I need to lighten up.

Watch out for the pix & please do let us know your comments. We'd like to hear your feedback, positive or unflattering.

Hunter
 _GOTOTOP