_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Buying new kits: Hide and seek
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 04:51 AM UTC
Last week I learned from the "Compulsive spending" posts that builders among us hide their newly purchased kits from their wifes.

Let's talk "hiding places" over here. I'm sure that under the workbenches there can be little hidingspace left since it's already packed with a compressor, cans of beer, bottles of wine and so on.

C'mon you "HIDERS", share them secret spots with us, and let us learn from the masters

And besides the Hiding thing.........do your wives do the Seeking part as well ??
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 04:55 AM UTC
inside my gun cabinet,im the only one that has a key to it
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 330 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 05:02 AM UTC
Tough to hide kits here...buy most of my kits online and she gets home from work most days before I do, so she sees the UPS packages before I do. When I do make a trip to the hobby shop, she comes with me so she can go to the craft store. But when I did hide a kit or two, I found that the best place was in plain sight, stacked on top of my other unbuilt kits. But really my wife is very supportive of my model hobby, it's my other hobbies that cost more anyway. Like restoring my 1972 Triumph Spitfire, full scale models are a little pricier than 1/35 scale.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 05:10 AM UTC
DOH....that's something Rufus....the spit that is. Wish I could afford such a hobby.

About the wife part, I'm glad mine is supportive too. I'm glad I don't have to be a Hider though I know what it's like from the earlier days. A former girlfriend made me do it .
The_Swede
Visit this Community
Jönköping, Sweden
entire network: 327 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 06:33 AM UTC
Since I run my own hobbyshop here in sweden I can always say that the kit is for a customer :-)
She doesn,t keep track of what kits I got in my stash anyway so....

Thord
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 06:51 AM UTC
I leave them sitting on the dining room table until my wife tells me to move them and put them up so we can eat. The DML M46, M-51 and Waffen SS Tank crew are still sitting there.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 07:08 AM UTC
What works for me is inserting the new model into the middle of a current stack or stash of model kits. It's less noticeable there - even for the well trained spousal eye...

Gunnie
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 382 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 07:20 AM UTC
I hide 'em in plain sight! My wife has a very limited knowledge/understanding of anything military, so she can't tell the difference between a kit I bought yesterday or two years ago. So I just add them to the stack when we get home, and she quickly forgets what I just got. In a week or three, it is time to 'invest' again and she has forgotten what I bought before. I have to deal with the immediate 'You spent HOW much?" (usually not that much anyway), and then we move on. Life is good, sometimes!
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 151 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 08:00 AM UTC
Totally OT, but I just got my 1/700th DKM Tirpitz Waterline... Its missing one of the sprues!
I gues I'll just have to send it back...
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 08:30 AM UTC
Not married,so no need to sneak.
SWM seeks Model(building) SWF.Must like airbruhing,not hairbrushing!
Largest package to bring in,though,was the 1/16 th M-4(105) R/C
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 08:40 AM UTC
Not only do I not need to hide what I buy, if I find I need anything I usually send with my wife to get it for me the next day in town as I work else where. I think shes just happy that I spend so much time at home and would rather model than go the pub. She has even built 2 1/24 rally cars. Cant ask for any more!
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 10:52 AM UTC
Sneak? Who needs to sneak?

I'm a helluva lot tighter with money than the frau, but I have half a garage full of kits. How do I do it? Buy 'em on sale. Women can always justify buying anything, as long as it is on sale. Even when I see something I "just gotta have" I tell her I bought it on sale, even if I paid full retail. That really doesn't happen often, but it does happen when I see "that special kit."

In the last town where we lived, I told her about the 15% discount the local HobbyTown owner was giving me through the local IPMS club. On my birthday, I was pleasantly surprised to find that she had bought me a couple kits the shop owner knew I had been "eyeballing" but hadn't yet bought. He even gave her my discount. Needless to say, all three of us were happy.
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 05:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tough to hide kits here...buy most of my kits online and she gets home from work most days before I do, so she sees the UPS packages before I do. When I do make a trip to the hobby shop, she comes with me so she can go to the craft store. But when I did hide a kit or two, I found that the best place was in plain sight, stacked on top of my other unbuilt kits. But really my wife is very supportive of my model hobby, it's my other hobbies that cost more anyway. Like restoring my 1972 Triumph Spitfire, full scale models are a little pricier than 1/35 scale.

i had the same problem thats why i got a post office box.i can also relate to your full size project,i have a 1940 german truck in restoring
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 760 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 07:38 PM UTC
I have the kits sent to me at the office and then put them into the middle of my stack of kits. Like someone said earlier, my wife can't tell the difference between a kit that was recently purchased or one that I have had for 5 years. Luckily, I don't need to sneak too often. Most of the time I tell her that I want to buy a model kit and she is fine with it because it is better than the alternatives (drugs, drinking, philandering, etc.).
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 08:01 PM UTC
Yes no sneak as long as I have the Bucks. Sometimes I sneak one in. but mostly I mail order so they are here when I get home. But the place to hide them is in the closet and pile boxes in front of door so it is hard to get in. Plus room is shared with my other hobby of collecting Fossils. So with big Bison skulls and stuff laying around she usually keeps out.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 08:21 PM UTC
My workbench is in the garage, my wife spends as little time there as possible. Plus with 30 - 40 various kits on the shelf - I hide them in plain view. They all blend in together to the untrained eye.
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 08:47 PM UTC
I really don't need to sneak kits either. Hubby usually just says "When are you going to get that one finished?" He really likes to see what progress is made as the kit all comes together. He has a couple of kits his self and won't let me build them....
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 09:01 PM UTC
try to hide a real vehicle.my wife doesnt know about the r75 motorcycle
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 146 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 12:25 AM UTC
My wife really doesn't say much...she knows if she says anything I will say something about the money she blows at these Candle, Tupperware, etc. parties :-) and besides...she wouldn't know the difference between an old and a new kit on my shelf
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 02:02 AM UTC
I guess I can say that i am one of the lucky ones that also has a supportive wife. But she does give an crazy look when I mention about buying another kit (s). When I have just started work one new project. And then still have another 5 kits waiting in the wings. But for the most part she just simply tells me "How about getting thru these others ones first before you decided to buy any more. I cant claim to have anywhere near the number of unbuilt kits like most of you guys do. My budget wont allow that. And too I would probably get so overwhelmed and simply stop building anything for awhile. And my wife knows that, So she helps me to keep that in mind. She's a good mate. And very supportive. So I listen to her. And we keep each other happy.

DAGGER-1 " When Science Fails, Brute Force Wins"
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 06:06 AM UTC
thats all that matters dagger
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 10:36 PM UTC
Keep em posts coming guys. Heard no real sneaker yet....Who's the reel hider over here ?
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 10:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Keep em posts coming guys. Heard no real sneaker yet....Who's the reel hider over here ?

one place women try to avoid is the garage
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 11:25 PM UTC
As I'm not married yet, I'm piling kits up !
That way, when I marry my girlfriend, I'll have a good hiding place : that big kit pile.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 11:38 PM UTC
I like the idea of bringing in a new kit and slipping it in amoungst the others. But as I said previously, I don't have to worry about that. BUT what ever floats your boat He-He-He.

DAGGER-1 " When Science Fails, Brute Force Wins"
 _GOTOTOP