_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Buying new kits: Hide and seek
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 12:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As I'm not married yet, I'm piling kits up !
That way, when I marry my girlfriend, I'll have a good hiding place : that big kit pile.

you are a genius,that is pure brillant i hope it works
lightningdon
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
entire network: 79 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 03:37 AM UTC
#:-) #:-) Hey, COOL!
Dagger's got the right idea. Hiding in plain site. That is what I do. All the wife sees is a closet full of kits. She has no idea that new ones find a way in there, too. Every once in a while, I'll get them all out on the living room floor to look through the boxes and such. She thinks they are the same kits from eons ago. Little does she know there may be 5 or 6 new ones in that pile!
Don
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 04:14 AM UTC
Well, I do buy them on the sly, making sure there are no witnesses (four-year olds are terrible at keeping secrets). Be sure to pay cash - don't need any credit card receipts or check book entries giving me away. The kit then lives in the trunk of the car until everyone else is asleep, then it silently makes its way into the house. Where it goes from there is usually dependent on the size of the box, and management's sensitivity to non-critical spending at the moment. Typically it gets stuck in the middle of a pile of kits, to be looked through, and occassionally even built, at a later time. Otherwise it goes in a large Tupperware tub full of other kits in the basement closet until such a time as it is safe to add it to the pile of active kits.

Never leave a new kit in the middle of a coffee table, or out on a couch. Your model kits are like a herd of Wildebeasts on the Serenghetti - there's safety in numbers, do not let a new kit get separated from the herd! Always remove the plastic at the earliest possible convenience, nothing says "My foolish husband spent money on another silly model" more than a shrinkwrapped kit sitting by itself in the open. If at all possible, remove and dispose of all shopping evidence before the kit gets into the house - shrinkwrap, receipt, bag - everything.

Finally, if she should happen to notice a new kit and ask about it, tell her you've had it "a long time" and just decided to work on it. An hour qualifies as a "long time" for a new model kit. She'll also be happy that you're finally building something.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 04:25 AM UTC
Phantom,

That's what I call strategy..... I can see you sneek, masked and all, in the darkest night from the trunk of the car to the front door......

Is it a burglar, a thief in the night ? Nope it's PHANTOM..........
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 05:21 AM UTC
Mua-ha-ha-ha!!
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 498 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2002 - 04:56 AM UTC
I mostly buy from fellow modellers, like Andrew Herbert aka Herberta on Armorama, or on "the evil ebay". I pay with money orders, but must remember to hide the receipt in my desk at work, almost got caught! Or I pay by cash. I usually have the kits sent to my office and then take them home in an empty copy paper box. I had 3 kits on the bookshelf next to my desk at work for a month and she didn't notice them during her frequent visits mixed into the stack of folders, papers and books etc. pretty clever eh?
Usually I wait until my wife is at her cross stitch club on tuesdays and my 5 year old is brushing his teeth and changing into jammys. He's sharp when it comes to tanks and airplanes and can spot a C-130 at 4 miles! Can't keep a secret either.
I sneak it into the garage and add it to the stacks on the top shelf, which is strategically re-organized once a month. This is important so that she doesn't recognize the new additions. I also have a stack on my bench that I move around occasionally. I also use the same strategy that Rob does, leave them in plain sight on the table until she tells me to put them away. If we are in Hobby Lobby together and I find one on sale, I tell her about how much it is on line or at the other stores and she then can justify the purchase since its "on sale".
So I usually employ the following tactics: Hide and Sneak, Mix with Mess, Buy on Sale, and Re-arrange the Stack. All are a must for the Modelholic. If these fail, try throwing yourself on her lap sobbing "its a disease and i can't help myself!". Havn't tried this yet, but if anyone does, let me know how it turns out, if you're still able that is!
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2002 - 06:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I mostly buy from fellow modellers, like Andrew Herbert aka Herberta on Armorama, or on "the evil ebay". I pay with money orders, but must remember to hide the receipt in my desk at work, almost got caught! Or I pay by cash. I usually have the kits sent to my office and then take them home in an empty copy paper box. I had 3 kits on the bookshelf next to my desk at work for a month and she didn't notice them during her frequent visits mixed into the stack of folders, papers and books etc. pretty clever eh?
Usually I wait until my wife is at her cross stitch club on tuesdays and my 5 year old is brushing his teeth and changing into jammys. He's sharp when it comes to tanks and airplanes and can spot a C-130 at 4 miles! Can't keep a secret either.
I sneak it into the garage and add it to the stacks on the top shelf, which is strategically re-organized once a month. This is important so that she doesn't recognize the new additions. I also have a stack on my bench that I move around occasionally. I also use the same strategy that Rob does, leave them in plain sight on the table until she tells me to put them away. If we are in Hobby Lobby together and I find one on sale, I tell her about how much it is on line or at the other stores and she then can justify the purchase since its "on sale".
So I usually employ the following tactics: Hide and Sneak, Mix with Mess, Buy on Sale, and Re-arrange the Stack. All are a must for the Modelholic. If these fail, try throwing yourself on her lap sobbing "its a disease and i can't help myself!". Havn't tried this yet, but if anyone does, let me know how it turns out, if you're still able that is!

thats sounds kinda like me,thats why i have a post office box
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2002 - 02:00 PM UTC
I use a variety of these strategies.
1. PO Box at the local Mail Boxes. Got ratted on by the post office lady who knows my wife. "Boy, your husband sure get a lot of boxes".
2. Sneak it in. After she and the kid are in bed, though my 16 year old son and I have developed our own understanding about our secrets...
3. Hide in plain sight if it mixes, but that damn PBY is Huge... so I put it behind my desk.
4. Pay cash, only cash.

One stupid I did was put a lot of them under my tool bench... then when I reorganized she saw all of them out at one time... big mistake.

Again, she likes me being home, but does not like what these things cost...
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2002 - 02:09 PM UTC
Do any of your have partners who also do modeling ?
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 09:37 AM UTC
OK now that I think about it.
I could send kits to my parents house and then sneak them in....

Matt
 _GOTOTOP