_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Microscale - Micro sol, setting solution.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 11:04 AM UTC
Microscale - Micro sol, setting solution for decals.
Hi Guys. As the heading implies, I have a bottle of this stuff, but never used it before. Any advice on how to use it properly?? I have used johnsons clear to gloss the surface and now wnt to use the kit water decals. Its on a kubelwagen and has some irregular surfaces. '

All advice and tips are most appreciated!!
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 11:30 AM UTC
I just use it as instructed at the bottle - apply some on the surface to be decaled, place decal, press with cotton swab, let dry and remove excess.

I had one bottle tumble on the table - cap open - contents flowing out... AND HITTING A WHOLE DECAL SHEET DESTROYING ALL DECALS BEYOND ANY RECOGNITION! Sigh... So now I "back up" my decals (when I gots time, by making Hi-Res scans of them) before I use them.

I noticed that when I used it, some decals curled up. I also place additional MicroSol on the decal itself, snugging it gently on the surface. When it's practically dry, I ASAP spray a quick clear gloss so it won't curl up as it dries completely. Seems to solve the curling up issue - which is probably either a case of too little MicroSol or too many.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:02 PM UTC
Hi there

It's always best to check things out with a spare decal. Most are fine, but some decals react badly to setting solutions, while others seem to be totally immune...

Anyway, the basic sequence is:

1. Wet the area wherethe decal is to be applied with Micro Set.

2. Apply the decal and blot it down.

3. Brush Micro Sol over the decal.

The Micro Sol will probably cause the decal to wrinkle, but don't panic, this is good! - it will smooth out and and conform to the surface as it dries.

On very irregular surfaces, you may need multiple applications of Micro Sol to get the decal to settle. (There are stronger solutions such as Super Sol and Solvaset).

Hope this helps

Rowan
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:41 PM UTC
DonŽt even touch the decal after Micro Sol has been applied until the decal is well dry. This solution softens the decal to an incredible rate and if you touch it or move it, the decal will ruin.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:56 PM UTC
Thanks guys for your quick replies. Thing is, I only bought the bottle of micro sol. Do you have to use micro set first?
Will Microsol work on its own on a pre-prepared surface with johnssons klear?
Thanks again!
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 02:13 PM UTC
Micro-Sol will work fine. Just be careful with it. As has already been stated it softens the decal a LOT!!

I have both and usually use Micro-Set first and then Micro-Sol if it's necessary, so when you can you may want to get some Micro-Set.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 12:55 PM UTC
Thanks guys. Much appreciated. I actually didnt use it all in the end. I didnt want to destroy the decals as i cant wait for new ones. Something IŽll try later when I get the micro set as well.
I just used my normal method. Johnssons clear on day 1, decals day 2 and johnssons clear again on day 3. tested and proven!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 01:46 PM UTC
I've used them singl;y and in combination with great success on all decals except some very old Monogram. Well, they weren't old, but it was the old MOnogram decals a long time ago.
I've never had any problem with them with Italeri, DML/Dragon, Tamiya, Hasegawa, Fugimi, or any after market decals.
Remember, if the decal is very old, droppping it in water may cause it to self destruct. It's a good idea if you have decals from a very old kit to treat them with MicroScale Decal Saver/Decal film first. These are compatible withtheir solvents and will keep even the most brittle decals together while allowing them to conform to an uneven surface.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 01:49 PM UTC
Just a note for future reference: When using "setting" solutions, on a model that has been gloss coated with Klear or Future, occasionally you'll get a "whitening" effect around the area of the decal. Don't panic. This is normal and will clear up with another coating of Klear or Future.
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2003 - 01:06 AM UTC
I always use first Micro Set and then Micro Sol. It depends on the decals but sometimes only with Micro Set is suficient.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2003 - 06:01 AM UTC
I've used microset for years and never had a problem with it. It hlps a lot when you're using it on a zimmerit coating
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2003 - 09:21 AM UTC
Thanks again guys. IŽll be more confident the next time I have to use this stuff. I have saved all these hints for a quick read before I use them.

Blaster ..... believe it or not ....... Im getting into gear to build my first tiger. I have never used zimmerit before and this was my thinking when I bought the micro sol. I have a few tigers at home ... academys early with interior (no zimmerit) and Italeris bergtiger and tamiyas late with crew. I have bought cavalier zimmerit for it and aber PE. Thast why Im trying out PE a bit now at the moment! The microsol was to be an experiment as well!!

Cheers for the help
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2003 - 11:58 PM UTC
What Tiger will you build first ? Academy with interior is fantastic.
Good luck and please show us some pics when finished.
 _GOTOTOP