_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
home made hold and fold
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 09:43 AM UTC
Just had a brain wave,
to make your own hold and fold which costs peanuts all you need
is stuff you already have take one stanley knife blade and a small g clamp put the PE
under the blade and line it up now keep some pressure on it and apply the g clamp to the
blade and tighten it up once its secure your ready to fold, if you have a large peice put 2 blades together1 got a small peice use the lille bit in the middle of the blade see pictures below for explainations
all set up and ready to fold!

got a large peice no worries!

got a small piece to fold? use the bit in the middle

side on view

No doubt it'll have its limitations but hopefully some one can use it with out having to spend a lot of money on a proper hold and fold if any one can think of ways to improve it please let me know
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 09:52 AM UTC
Well done Mike. I used a similar method before I buckled. It definetly saves some money for more important things... like more PE
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 09:55 AM UTC
let me guess, are you working on a Bradley!!!!!!
Great idea Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is ok to use your idea?
Here is a suggestion, why not get different sizes of small pieces of metal. I know K&S sell shets of Aluminum and Brass.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 10:00 AM UTC
Epi,
I'm working on an M113 this is from the verlinden update set yes by all means use my idea I'm not the sort of person to keep all my tricks to myself I just thought I should give something back to the site as I've got so much from it
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 10:01 AM UTC
Excellent idea Mike. After I saw the original "Fold and Fold" on the web I made my own. The only suggestion I would have is that you might want add piece of glass or aluminum to fold against, if that makes sense. In this order, bench, glass, PE, razor blade, C-clamp. Some of the smaller PE parts may be hard to get underneath if you are trying to slide the folding razor on wood. Great idea. I will stick a picture of my home "Keen and Fold" below.

Thanks for the tip!

Shaun

Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 10:09 AM UTC
I'm wondering???? Both you guys have great ideas! if there is no copyright or patent infringement, why dont you guys draw up plans and write up something formal and share how you did these "Poor man Hold and Folds" for the rest of us.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 10:10 AM UTC
you must have some interesting kitchen tools to make that top piece ? #:-)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 10:42 AM UTC
Another very simple hold and fold is one of those big brass hinges that close the whole way. They have holes already drilled. Add two screws to both ends and insert PE in the middle. Tighten screws and fold the PE. The thickness of these are approx. 5mm so it gives you something to get right angles right!
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 10:51 AM UTC
Jan, I really do have some interesting kitchen tools. Honestly. However, a mill isn't one of them. I think there is room in the kitchen for a mill but my wife told me I wasn't allowed. Okay, ya caught me. I made the "Keen O Fold" at work. But, since I spend almost as much time at the foundry as I do at home I thought it was fair to call it "home made." You guys slay me.

Pete, I'm on the article.

Shaun

SlapHead
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 291 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 12:43 AM UTC
OK....so I have an intrest....but you can't make-em like we do !!!

Alasdair
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 11:39 AM UTC
Yo, Slap,
Maybe some or maybe even most of the members of this site could not, quote "make 'em like we do!!" I however, could. I have too many friends that have CNC equipment that they use to make 100% machined pattern equipment for the automotive industry.
The whole nature of your post seemed snide to me. If I was making and marketing a PE folding tool and happened upon this thread I would have asked for suggestions from the members of this site to make my product better, and asked for feedback. Not, like you did, ridicule attempts to build one. Your comment certainly didn't make me want to run out and buy one that was "made like you make 'em" Thanks but no thanks. I'll be getting suggestions and quotes and maybe, if I have the time, I'll prove to you that I can in fact, "make 'em."

Thanks for the motivation...

Shaun
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 12:18 PM UTC
Hi Shaun

Sad to say, all I get is a Red X on Slaphead's post, so I can't comment there...

My real reason for posting was to ask how feasible it would be for you to make a few more of your "Keen O Folds" for Armorama members... I'd certainly be interested in buying one. :-)

All the best

Rowan
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 01:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Shaun

Sad to say, all I get is a Red X on Slaphead's post, so I can't comment there...

My real reason for posting was to ask how feasible it would be for you to make a few more of your "Keen O Folds" for Armorama members... I'd certainly be interested in buying one. :-)

All the best

Rowan

He has exceded his web space for the Day! (++) (:-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 01:40 PM UTC

Oops keenan, I was about to point out to mikeli that his idea was a good one , but that I'd already seen the 'keen O fold' on another thread and was mighty impressed with the ingenuity and was going to pont him in that direction......but apparently you guys are on another tangent.
(said with my best Emily Latisha voice)....."Nevermind."

Tread.

For the record, still love the 'keen O fold'... :-)
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 11:46 PM UTC
Let me get some numbers put together and see what the materials to make one of these things will cost. Keep an eye on this thread. Thanks for all the compliments on the Foldo.

Shaun
SlapHead
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2003 - 01:44 AM UTC
Well a light hearted post seems to of upset ya all....no intent of 'snide' was intended...sorry about that...
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 05:48 AM UTC
Here is the latest home machined PE bending tool. Still have to add a couple of dowel pins and thumb screws. A big shout out to Matt for the CAD file. This one is on its way to him for sending me the CAD file. I am going to make one for myself and retire. But, I think Matt and I came pretty close to a commercial version for a material cost of about $6.00 and about 10 hours of my time.

Shaun

Babva
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 141 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 09:44 AM UTC
Great looking folder,thanks for posting.
Twig
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 167 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 09:17 PM UTC
keenan

Very nice tool you have made up there.. but not to throw a spanner in the works the design looks very similar to that of the EtchMate, especially in regards to the grooved channel by the folding tine edges. I know you have said you are only making one but I would be carefull about making more as you may be infringing some copyright of Mission Models (disclaimer: I have NO financial interest concerns in any PE folding tool). Just be carefull mate! :-)

Lee
SlapHead
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 10:44 PM UTC
Thats a well designed Etch Mate.....As Twig said I would be very carefull of offending Mission Models ....you really need to take care as copying other peoples products really offends them !! (sarcy I know)
 _GOTOTOP