_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Something funny happened to me today..
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 719 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 12:20 PM UTC
I was working on my Bison for the Under the Sun group build, and everything seemed to be going smoothly.

The Alan kit is pretty poor as far as details are concerned and I have a full blown case of AMS going on (stand clear folks :-) ), so I was working on adding hinges to the stowage boxes in the fighting compartment. I was down to my last hinge, and with nerves of steel, I carefully dipped it in the CA glue and then TWANG - it tweezer launched into the netherworld. Normally I can find stuff that I launch by the sound it makes when I hits something. This hinge made no such sound..... hmmm. I had already sanded off the molded on hinges, and I didn't have another Aber hinge (they don't give you any extras), so I commenced to get down on the floor and do the Stevie wonder thing. Feeling and looking - looking and feeling.... I must have been down there at least a half-hour. Set a new "searching the floor record for me".

Anyway - In walks the lady.... Doesn't it always seem like they only come into your model room to see what you are doing - if you are doing something stupid. She asks me what in the world i'm doing........I tell her, "I'm looking for a &*&#@#**& part that I lost."

She says, " you mean that little shiny thing on your chin?"

Well, it turns out that I super glued the hinge to my face.... That was a first...

She seemed to think that was pretty hilarious......

Jeff
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 12:44 PM UTC
At least it didn't get sucked into the vortex called the rug...
Davhowell
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 268 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 12:53 PM UTC
Ohh I Hate losing things I Already lost my Fuel Can Cap for a Kubelwagen and a few days ago I lost a Knife and sheath from the DML Navy Seal 1/35 Kit.

Spent half a hour looking for it with the other knife cut off and laying on the floor to see how it looks and BAM after about 30 or 40 minutes I Find it!
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 01:01 PM UTC
jeez I hate when that happens....but before I ever start a p/e set,I now send an offering to the carpet gods #:-)
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 01:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, it turns out that I super glued the hinge to my face..

Jeff---great story

If my other half ever saw a hinge glued to my chin, the first thing she'd be looking for would be a clasp to attach and keep my mouth shut!

Cool story----hang in there pal!

Steve
mavrick1124
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 188 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 02:16 PM UTC
That was great. My other half always ask me, (after I have dropped a part) why don't you work on the desk? Well, I tell her that wouldn't be a challenge LOL . Try to make building the model not my only challenge . Really , I just like my chair. And Dav, finding it later, much later, know that feeling well. I've even scratch built a part, only to find it much later. Great story Jeff.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 02:32 PM UTC
Howdy Jeff,

Thx for sharing that story with us, got a good laugh out of that one! After I stopped chuckling at your turn of events, it reminded me of one of mine. Short story is, I also dropped a small part (if I remember correctly it was the steering shaft off the Tammy SAS jeep kit), looked for awhile, couldn't find it for the life of me (the shaft and my carpet are almost precisely the same colour). Figured I'd have to scratch it, no biggie....couple of days later I'm walking into my modeling room and boom!, I step right on it!! It puntured the heel of my right foot right thru the socks and I seriously had to use my modeling tweezer's to pull it out!! .....hurt like the dickens.
My only solace is that noone else saw me do it .

Tread.

BTW, I have since built a completely new modeling station/desk that is completely covered in white 1/4" masonite paneling.....haven't lost a single piece since!
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 02:35 PM UTC
All I can say is: Welcome to my world. I could be in a completely white 4x4 room, looking for a 2x2 black piece, and not find it until,and ONLY until I'm done with the model. Oh, well, I'm off to look for that 2x2 piece...
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 03:13 PM UTC
Great story, classic. Thats all I have to say about it!

~Chip :-) :-) :-) #:-)
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 03:56 PM UTC
Great story Jeff. Bad as having your wife find you doing something stupid it's even worse, if possible, to have your teenaged daughter find you. I tweeser launced two small parts one right after the other on my Italeri Priest tonight. My daughter saw me hunting around on the floor for both a them with a "I've got a weird father" look on her face. For the record I have wood floors and they can swallow parts every bit as well as the worst carpet monster.

brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 10:22 PM UTC
Great story jrnelson, someone should write a warning pamphlet about the dangers of model building. Halfyank, that is a great phrase you used, "Tweeser Launched", I wiil remember that one as it perfectly describes the firing of parts into the black hole that is called the carpet..
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 12:12 AM UTC
Yep, Yep, blond wood floors LOVE the offering of tiny bits of brass. Even when I hear the thing drop, It is a 50/50 chance I will not find it till way, way later.
capnjock
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 02:44 AM UTC
I don't want to sound like anyone's Mom or anything but anyone that doesn't wear prescription glasses really ought to wear safety glasses when working with PE. Imagine launching a CA covered bit into your eye... Ouch.
Okay, I am retiring from the safety commitee now.

Shaun
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 11:14 AM UTC
Davhowell-
I thought that I was the only one that "dropped a tracer" part on the floor, just to find a similar item. LOL!!!!! I've been known to lose 'em both!

Tread-
We must have similar interior decorators. I think that the "official" name for the color of my carpet is "Tamiya plastic yellow". I could hide a whole sprue in that stuff!

Well, at least she didn't walk in on me making "vrooming" noises with my model again.... wait............... did I say that out loud? Nevermind.....
Jeff
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 11:47 AM UTC
Thank the gods I have an 8 year old son with "EAGLE EYES"....and he is persistent. If not for him, I would never be able to complete a model!
ka2rvu
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 41 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 12:01 PM UTC
Jeff,
Your wife isn't the only one who got a chuckle out of that one. I truley enjoyed that one. Ity is a classic. It beats anyone I have done. Thanks for the laugh. :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 01:34 PM UTC
...LOL, Jeff! Ya know it's funny, I almost always seem to find the dark green Italeri pieces, but have such a problem with those darn Tamiya desrt yellow ones!!!!!?! #:-) #:-) #:-)

Tread out.
Machu
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 208 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 01:52 PM UTC
I have a nice gray rug (virtually impossible to find things in)...I'll just be cutting a piece from the spru and *kertwang* of it goes into the rug of no return. Very frustrating experience...especially when you find it after you finish the model :-)
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 02:55 PM UTC
Ahh, the deaded tweezer launch, I'm sure we all know it well.

Some times I think I spend more time searching for dropped or mis-placed parts then i do asembling the model.

Just last week, I misplaced a part for the 234/1 I was working on and squash cast a replacement part. Within 5 minutes of completing the part and sticking it on the model, I moved a bottle of paint and guess what, there that little sucker was.

PvtParts
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 03:16 PM UTC
Im thinking about calling my local Police department to see if they will train a small plastic and resin sniffing dog for me #:-)
PvtParts
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 03:17 PM UTC
Oh by the way ..Im going to name the dog "Sprue" #:-)
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 12:18 AM UTC
D'oh! #:-) #:-) #:-)

I feel your pain.......

Dave
danmo
Visit this Community
Ecuador
entire network: 92 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 02:03 AM UTC
That is funny!! I Though that I was the only guy dummy enough to spend halve of my modelling time searching plastic parts with my nose on the floor. The guy who invents a resin and plastic detector will make a millon very quik!

Danmo
Pnzr-Cmdr
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 483 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 12:36 PM UTC
i lost a PE HINGE! for the boxes on the back of panthers..... i searched sand searched and searched probably over an hour. well i never found it. it either flew far away from the work area, got in the dreaded carpet or sucked up into the wet/dry vac. i was very upset.
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 01:44 PM UTC
John-

I think that I found a good way to not loose hinges at least..... just glue 'em to your face. Find 'em later when you look in the mirror....

Later-
Jeff
 _GOTOTOP