_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Elastic for cables and hoses etc.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 05:57 AM UTC
Hi there

I'm not a fisherman, so apologies if what I found in a tackle-shop is "old hat" to you all...

I was looking for fishing-line for my next bi-plane's rigging when I spotted this...

It's called "Slip" or "Pole" Elastic and comes in diameters from 0.58 to 2.2 mm. Unfortunately, from a modeller's point of view, most sizes are in fluorescent colours - but a coat of paint should solve that! :-)

It's very flexible (obviously...) and should be really handy for a lot of jobs where I'd normally use wire...

Hope this helps

Rowan
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 842 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 06:32 AM UTC
Merlin,

Thanks, forgot all about my fishing tackel box as a source for parts and stuff.

here's a beer 4 u

Kevin
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 10:58 AM UTC
You gotta love the fishing store. Lots of little goodies for modeling.
heavyarmor
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 15 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 01:35 PM UTC
Hey thanks Merlin! I have used the VP #47 Flexible Tubing, it was great for a lot for detail work, but unfortunately after a while (and not a long one) it would crack and break apart anyplace with more than a 90 degree bent. With that being said, I'm sure glad for the tip, I gotta try this stuff. Now I have what may be a stupid question, did ya find it in the freshwater section, or saltwater. Most shops I know about are either or. By the way, for anybody looking for lead wire for detailing, you can find 7or 8 sizes rangeing from .010 on up in .005 incriments, in the freshwater section, believe it's used for tying flies or something.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 06:54 PM UTC
Hi heavyarmor :-)

I went back to the shop today and checked - the elastc is in the freshwater section. :-)

I wondered whether the stuff might perish, but it says it's pre-treated for resistance and reliability... only time will tell.

I also found some silicone "Pole Float" tubing - which might be more durable than what you used.

I couldn't see any lead wire... but I'll keep looking. :-)

Cheers

Rowan
heavyarmor
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 15 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 12:26 PM UTC
Thanks for the info Merlin. I found the lead wire in the most colorful part of the store, what with all the fly tying feathers and all. Sorry I can't remember who made it, I've thrown out the packaging. It's sure worth finding, ya get alot more, for alot less than anything available in the aftermarket. Thanks again, Glen
 _GOTOTOP