_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Book Thread
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 01:46 AM UTC
This is my small list of military history and military fiction books (small as compared to the guys at TankNet who got whole shelves of books that fill a room or two):

"The Samurai Sourcebook" - Stephen Bull, published by Cassel & Co. For fans of Japan's medieval period, this is a "must have" IMO. Info on samurai weaponry, tactics, castles, sieges, etc. etc.

"On War" - Carl von Clauswitz. Indexed Edition, edited and translated by Michael Howard and Peter Paret. Published by Princeton. A must have book for the serious military historian or enthusiast. This is the famous work of Clauswitz, the one who defined war as "... an extension of politics." His book has been used to teach officers in various military academies ever since it was first written in the 1700s. This edition is a valuable one for Napoleon scholars and is considered as the best edition of Clauswitz original work.

"Moro Archives: A History of Armed Conflicts in Mindanao and East Asia" - Datu Nordin Alonto Ludman. Published by FLC Press. A locally published book, it's a huge one and chronicles the Muslim movement for independence. I haven't finished the book to give a good critique but so far, it looks slanted toward the Moro cause.

"The Royal Marines" - Theodore Rowland-Entwistle
"The Royal Navy" - Andrew Langley
"The Royal Air Force" - Andrew Langley

The above three books are slim, short, factoid, general-info books for youngsters (and as such, I got them when I was a youngster). Nowadays, I would look at these as for "toilet reading" (i.e., short things to read whilst you do your "bombing run" in the toilet to wile away the time).

"The SAS Survival Handbook" - John Wiseman. Published by Harvill. For those who want to learn how to skin a deer, go fishing, first-aid, what plants are safe to eat - and what to avoid under pain of death - and other survival tips, including how to survive from a nuclear blast, a chemical warfare environment, even an uncontrollable car, this is the book for you. Very informative and lots of illustrations to do the things discussed here.

"Grumman F-14 Tomcat: Shipborne Superfighter" - edited by Jon Lake. Published by Aerospace Publishing. A very nice reference book on the F-14, including 1/72 drawings of the F-14A and F-14D. I asked Tom Cooper of ACIG (Air Combat Information Group - www.acig.org) his critic on the book, considering he's not a big fan of Jon Lake (hehehehe) and below is what he has to say:

Quoted Text

well, the book you asked about is a good book for general orientation. It is not revealing everything, nor really good when it comes to Iranian F-14s - which makes it, as much as any other F-14-book published so far - weak when it comes to "operations", but it is OK, and highly useful as basic reference material.

I'm using it frequently too.

As for my opinion on the book, I find it quite useful and enjoy reading it. For the avid F-14 modeller - or just a big fan of the F-14 - this is a recommended book to have.

"Sheridan: A History of the American Light Tank" - R.P. Hunnicutt - Published by Presidio. My ONLY Hunnicutt book which I was fortunate enough to get from last year's Bookfair. For those who don't know Hunnicutt (SHOCKING SHOCKING! hehehe), his works are chock-full of info - technical and other - on tanks, tanks, tanks and TANKS. His books are a must-have reference for serious armor modellers. This book in particular deals with the development of the M551 Sheridan light tank. The first chapters are devoted to the M41 Bulldog. The last chapters are devoted to the development of the Sheridan's replacement (which, I must say, was eventually cancelled), some self-propelled artillery systems (M109 in particular), and other light armored vehicles. It has plenty of photos to use for reference. This is a must have if you are planning or are currently building an M41 Bulldog, M551 Sheridan, M42 Duster, and (to some extent) the M109. It doesn't delve much on the combat history of the M41 and M551, but it does have glimpses of such, particularly Vietnam (M41 and M551), Panama (M551), and ODS (M551). This is actually Vol. 2 of the light tank history, Vol. 1 titled Stuart (or Chaffee - I'm not sure).

"The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany" - William L. Shirer. Published by Simon and Schuster. The title gives away what this book is all about. This is a very nice book to have in your library. I haven't asked the guys at TankNet how they rate Shirer (who has several other military history works under his belt) but for me at least he looks good. It has very informative info on Operation Barbarossa, i.e. reasons why Hitler decided to invade the USSR, and other stuff. Impressive and thick, I've read it from time to time.

"History of World War Two" - William Trevelyan Miller. Published by Universal Book and Bible House. This Armed Services Memorial Edition is OOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDD. This was produced within five to seven years after WW2 and thus has quite a patriotic tune to it as well. This book I "inherited" from my grandpa actually. We had 2 of these (the other one having a red cover and some different pictures), but the other one seems to be missing (HORRORS!). This is sooo old that it even has a service form for enlistment to the US Armed Forces (I'm not kidding). A nice book to read and one I treasure mainly because of its old age.

"The Tiananmen Papers" - compiled by "Zhang Liang", edited by Andrew J. Nathan and Perry Louk. Ok, not military history per se, but... Anyway, this work is based on papers smuggled out to China by a certain "Zhang Liang" who's real identity is still shrouded in secrecy (they don't know if it's just one person or a group of persons hiding under the psuedonym). This caused some consternation from Beijing when it was published in 2000, as it reveals the decision making of the Chinese Politburo, as well as Jiang Zemin's actual participation that resulted to the bloody crushing by the PLA of the Freedom Movement in Tiananmen Square during the late 1980s. AFAIK, it's still debated whether the papers smuggled out are a hoax or are real, but one thing is for sure: the People's Republic's Communist Party doesn't like it at all. The two editors - long time China watchers IIRC - have staked their professional reputation on this work and have pronounced the papers as genuine. An interesting book to have and read.

"Grumman F-14 Tomcat" - James Perry Stevenson. Published by Aero Books. This is an old book on the F-14. Slim and small, it doesn't have as much info as the other F-14 book edited by Jon Lake mentioned earlier, which said Jon Lake book has superseded this old book by Stevenson.

"B1B Bomber" - Lindsay Peacock - Published by Osprey. An "old" book which I got in the 1990s (oh that is, like, so last millenium, like! hehehehe), it's a nice, slim reference book on the B1B Lance. It talks about the development of the B1A and B1B, its weapons systems, and other info. The most important data on this book IMO are the colored drawings showing the various camoflauge schemes used on the B1A and B1B, which might be handy-dandy reference for B1 model builders.

"The CIA Files: Secrets of 'The Company'" - Mick Barron - Published by CLB. I would consider this more of a "Conspiracy Theory" book than a factual book on the CIA (is there any factual book in the CIA? hehehehe) Makes for nice light reading. Don't take this book seriously, though. It gives various theories of the CIA, from it experimenting with LSD, to being the prime reason why AIDS has wracked Africa's population. Again, makes for light reading and is not to be taken seriously - IMO at least.

"The Rise and Fall of Adolph Hitler" - Judith Steeh - Hamlyn Bison. Interesting book on Adolph Hitler - 'nuff said.

"Military History Quarterly: Summer 2000 Vol. 12, number 4" - this is actually a journal rather than a book which I got from my uncle who in turn bought it in the US. This particular journal has several articles on the Korean War (ranging in topics from why it happened, to a Ranger unit that saw action there), and other articles on various old conflicts as well (there's one IIRC on the Boxer Rebellion).

"The Decline and Fall of Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan: A Pictorial History of The Final Days of World War Two" - Hans Dollinger - Published by Bonanza. This has chock full of pictures and maps on the final battles in the European and Pacific Theatres. Actually, the book delves more in the European theatre than the Pacific theatre. The pix are nice reference for diorama builders rather than specific subjects of vehicles. It presents the history through pictures, as well as showing communiques issued between the units from their headquarters, some news clippings, and sprinkled with quotes from various diaries, memoirs, etc. For those who revel in war and who think it's THE only way to solve the problems of the world, this is a book that ought to shake them back to the realities and harshness of war (unless they've become total war freaks that it's impossible to make them think otherwise). Very nice reference I may add.

"Zones of Conflict: An Atlas of Future Wars" - Sir John Keegan and Andrew Wheatcroft. Published by Simon & Schuster. This is an old work of Keegan, around late 80s (1989 I think) and is a thin atlas on the various hot spots of the world. At the time this book was made, the Soviets were still in Afghanistan (or in the process of withdrawing), the Iran-Iraq War has grounded to a stalemate, Operation Just Cause had already transpired, and the IDF was still inside Lebanon. It makes interesting reading, though and shows the various invasion routes, strategic places, and the like in the hot spots that will continue to be of value in wars to come.

"Imperial Rome" - Moses Hadas. Published by Time Life. Ok, again, not quite a military history book, but it has pictures of some fantastic dioramas in Italy showing Caesar's siege of a barbarian city (with trebuchets and mangonels and ballistas to boot) and a big Roman Legion vs. Macedonian Phalanx battle. Makes fine reading and will enhance one's knowledge of the Roman Empire.

"The Great Warplanes of the 1990s" - Bill Yenne. Published by Bison. Yet another "it's just oh so last millenium" book. Features the F-14, F-15, F/A-18, F-16, Mirage 2000, Saab Viggen, Flanker, Fulcrum, Tornado, B1, B2. Really a general info book, it's a nice reference to have, although somewhat dated already.

"Jane's Fighting Ships of WW2" - Jane's Publishing. This is a 2001 reprint of the 1946/1947 edition, and has plenty of pictures (albiet some small) of the various ships (from carriers to trawlers) used by the various navies in WW2. Some of the data is inaccurate but this is so because Jane's didn't bother re-editing such data which was, back in 1946/1947 accurate enough.

"Filipinos at War" - Carlos Quirino. Published by Vera-Reyes, Inc. I reckon many of you know about this book already, which I might dare would probably contain some inaccuracies (for some reason, our local historians are, by virtue of being 'blinded' and fueled by nationalism zeal, inaccurate to some degree). The one I have here is an old edition - wala pa ang 1986 People Power Revolution. Makes for interesting reading though.

"Politika" - Tom Clancy. This is the first book of his Power Play series (I think that's what it's called). Nice, entertaining, but methinks that the company here is tooooooo powerful that it acts almost like a state.

"NetForce: Breaking Point" - Another creation of Clancy. Not really my cup o'tea (I prefer the Jack Ryan, John Clark, series meself plus Red Storm Rising) but it is mildly interesting and hilariously entertaining.

"Day of Infamy" - Walter Lord. Published by Bantam Books. This is an OLD book on Pearl Harbor. Actually, this book is the basis for the Pearl Harbor film "Tora Tora." Some (lots?) of inaccuracies here, it makes for nice reading though.

"SSN" - Tom Clancy. Here you can find USS Greenville sinking the whole Chinese fleet. Typical Clancy's Yankee-uberwaffen. Makes for entertaining reading though.

"Day of the Cheetah" - Dale Brown (yup - this is embarassing, noh?). Well, here's my first Dale Brown book - y'know, the one who wrote about the B-52 MegaFortress with Stinger air defenses, pointy nose, supersonic speed, etc. etc. Well, this talks about the F-15 with thrust vector nozzles (the test bed for the F-22's thrust vectoring tech) and a forward-sweep fighter that operates via alpha waves or something like that. I found it funny. And as if to draw more readers, the opening chapter involves lots of sex. Really really really silly book. But hey, it's so funny, I was entertained while reading it!

"The Battle for Manila" - Richard Connaughton, John Pimlitt, Duncan Anderson. Published by Presidio. This is about the liberation of Manila from the Japanese during WW2. Very chilling to read - especially the part on the DLSU massacre (SR, Jomz - in case you don't know and if you haven't noticed, there's a plaque at the La Salle Hall's South Wing, and another in the chapel, which plaques are dedicated to the massacre that happened there. The spiral staircases in the chapel at the sides of the altar are IIRC the very same spiral staircases that saved many from the Japanese rifles and bayonets. Make a trip there if you haven't and reflect on it, and say a prayer for those who were killed there. Needless to say, the La Salle Hall is haunted by sounds of footsteps, the sobs of a woman, a phantom brother or two whose head is missing, and a white lady, among other hauntings). A must have.

"Silver Tower" - Dale Brown (AGAIN! My, am I embarrassed - really, I am). This is about a space station that has a laser defense system accurate enough not only to intercept ICBMs, but also anti-ship cruise missiles. Silly reading really.

"Remembering Pearl Harbor: Eyewitness accounts by US military men and women" - edited by Robert S. La Forte and Ronal E. Marcello. A nice book to have and, as the full title says, are the accounts by those who were there. Some accounts are tear jerkers.

"The Third World War: August 1985" - Gen. Sir John Hacket and other top NATO generals and advisors. THIS is one of two (the other is "Red Army" I think, the author of which escapes my memory) must-read WW3 scenario books. "Red Army" is similar to this book, only in "Red Army" the USSR wins hehehehe. Anyway, this book is an updated edition from the August 1984 edition, but they're essentially the same. This is a more scholarly work than Clancy's "Red Storm Rising" and receives high praise for its realism and analysis. If you're a fan of WW3 scenarios, this is a MUST HAVE.

"Warday: And the Journey Onward" - Whitley Stribers and James Kunetka. This is yet another WW3 book - actually, a post-WW3 nuclear exchange book, which deals about a journey by two persons across what used to be known as the United States of America. It is set in a world after a nuclear-exchange happened between the USSR and the USA. It is really an anti-nuclear book. Makes for entertaining reading. The same authors are also environment advocates for they wrote another post-apocalyptic book, that other book this time based on the degradation of the environment and over-population. I'm not a tree-hugger, nor am I against the existence of nukes, but this book is an entertaining "what-if" to read.

"Inside the KGB: My Life in Soviet Espionage" - "Vladimir Kuzichkin." I haven't researched on the authenticity of this book yet, but it looks, uh... "promising." IIRC, the author wrote this under a pseudonym or it's actually his real name, but now living in another identity after he defected to the West. Lots of info on the KGB. Kuzichkin was a KGB agent deployed in the Soviet Embassy in Iran when it was still under the Shah. He witnessed the Iranian Revolution led by the Ayatollah Khomeini and from Iran IIRC he defected to the West. The fact that Forsythe wrote the foreword made me suspect the authenticity of this book, but it does make interesting reading.

"The CIA and the Cult of Intelligence" - Victor Marchetti and John D. Marks. This is more authentic than the earlier mentioned CIA book. This one was originally censored by the US government because of the damning info brought to light by these 2 authors who used to work for the CIA. The book I have is an nth edition, having some sentences, words, phrases, and whole paragraphs restored after having been censored. The book still has a lot of cut parts (which are indicated by the words - [one sentence deleted] or in some cases [two paragraphs deleted]). Makes for interesting reading.

"The Rape of Nanking" - Iris Chang. This small yet powerful book shows the sheer brutality and atrocities of the Japanese in Nanking. Has PLENTY of graphic pictures - enough to make one whose stomach is weak to puke. Example: There's one picture that captures the exact moment of decapitation of a Chinese prisoner, the sword has just reached the end of the neck - but not fully through it - and the head has started to slide off from the neck, with a fountain of blood just about to burst. Told you it was graphic. Makes for recommended reading because UNTIL NOW THE JAPANESE GOVERNMENT HAVE NOT RECOGNIZED THEIR ACTIONS IN NANKING. This is just as horrific as the Holocaust, and more so than the massacres in Manila. Got this in National Bookstore for a small sum. Again, a must have and one to show to someone who is a war freak to knock some sense in him/her.

"Band of Brothers" - Stephen Ambrose. Okaaaaaaaaaay... many comments about Stephen Ambrose in the academia. Many lambast him for his plaigarism, inaccuracy, etc. etc. But heck, he did make WW2 history popular again. There's a thread on TankNet about how reliable "Band of Brothers" is, but it still remains a very good book to read, barring the inaccuracies surrounding some (many?) of the late Ambrose's works.

"Citizen Soldiers" - Stephen Ambrose. I found this one dragging and boring to read, really, for some strange reason. It also suffers with inaccuracies like some of his books.

"Total War: 2006" - Simon Pearson. Another WW3 book. Interesting to say the least. Not quite as entertaining or realistic as "Red Storm Rising" and pales immensely in comparison to Sir Hackett's work. Unlike RSR and Hackett's book, this one adds terrorism to the equation.

"We Were Soldiers Once and Young" - Lt. Gen. Moore (ret.) and Joseph Galloway. I reckon all of us here have seen the movie. The book is far better though, as the movie diverged from the book in some areas - most annoyingly at the ending. For Vietnam fans, this is a must have. Also a must have for Vietnam fans (and Huey fans as well) is "Chickenhawk" which was written by one of the Huey pilots who flew in the very same Ia Drang campaign. I don't have "ChickenHawk" but the guys at TankNet say it's a nice book to have and gives a glimpse on helicopter/heliborne operations in Vietnam. I reckon it's a somewhat old book (not really sure if it is indeed old), and I'm hunting it in all bookstores and book sales. I reckon Amazon has this, but I haven't checked.

"Secrets of the Samurai" - Carol Gaskin. A small, thin pocket book about the Samurai. Really for kiddies. I got this one from my first bookfair I think - and that was, oh, ten years ago I think.

"The Diary of a French Officer on the War in the Philippines, 1898" - "Lt. X" (Lt. Aime Ernest Moisch) translated by Marietta Enriquez-de la Haye Jousselin. Published by the National Historical Institute, National Musuem, Philippines. This is an amazing book to read. A thin one, it was written by a french naval officer IIRC who witnessed the last phases of the Spanish-American War in the Philippines. IIRC, by the time he writes this, US troops and Filipino revolutionaries are laying siege to Intramuros, the Spanish fleet has already been sunk, and the Germans are watching events with a keen eye. Interesting and recommended for Philippine history buffs.

"Submarine: A Guided Tour Inside a Nuclear Warship" - Clancy. A nice book to have, but I reckon, in typical Clancy, it has its errors.

"Bloody Ridge: The battle that saved Guadalcanal" - Michael S. Smith. This book delves on the first months of the Battle of Guadalcanal, including the First Battle of the Tenaru River which resulted to a massacre of Japanese troops against well dug and supported US troops. Very nice book to read and recommended.

"Black Hawk Down" - Mark Bowden. The book is by far better than the film. 'nuff said.

"Corregidor" The Rock Force Assault, 1945" - Gen. E. M. Flanagan, Jr. (ret.). This talks about how Corregidor was liberated by the 503rd RCT (Regimental Combat Team - I keep on saying 503rd PIR in my previous posts, but it's actually RCT, not PIR). Very good book and recommended reading for WW2 history and Philippine history buffs. The 503rd RCT has its own website (www.corregidor.org) and veterans as well as supporters of the 503rd are planning to visit The Rock this January 2004 for 2 weeks.

"Corregidor: The American Alamo of WW2" - Eric Morris. Whilst the above book details the liberation of Corregidor by the Americans, this book details the fall of Bataan and Corregidor. Good book and recommended.

"Ghost Soldiers" - I can't find my copy (HORRORS! HORRORS! HORRORS!) so I can't recall the author (Jomz can give it). It is about the raid by the Rangers on the Cabanatuan (or as the Americans pronounce it - "Cabanatwan") POW camp, liberating the remnants of those who fought in Bataan and Corregidor (IIRC, there some 50 left in the camp or so). Col. Oliver North's "War Stories" shown on Fox had episode on this raid. I got "Ghost Soldiers" at Page One in Rockwell, PowerPlant Mall. A must read and highly recommended. I'm thinking of doing a diorama of some Rangers walking through the tall cogon fields - hey, it's my idea, so don't go out and steal it hahahahahaha! But before I can do that, I have to practice doing figures (I just suck in figures hehehehe).

"FirePower: Infantry Weapons" - edited by Chris Bishop. This is a nice general reference book on SMGs, assault rifles, LMGs, MGs, sniper rifles, and pistols, with cut-out drawings and battle "memoirs" from Vietnam to Goose Green. I got this one in Libris, same shop where I got the Battle of Leyte Gulf book.

"Jane's Armored Vehicle Recognition Guide, 2001 Edition" - nice book featuring the various armored vehicles used in different armies around the world - including the Simba.

"Jane's Warship Recognition Guide, 2001 Edition" - similar to above, this time on warships, from CVs to SSKs. I always bring this with me whenever a foreign warship docks at South Harbor, Manila and have a crew member sign on the page which features the class of his/her ship. To date, I have had it signed by one Royal Navy officer (HMS Nottingham - Duke Class FFG), and several Japanese naval officers when they docked with 1 DD, 1 FF, and 1 SSK (yup! Got's to see a real submarine! :-) ).

"Warships of World War II" - Collins/Jane's. This small pocket book by Collins/Jane's deals with, as the title says it all, WW2 warships. Interesting and nice little reference book.

"Combat Aircraft" - Collins/Jane's. Similar to above, but this time on modern combat aircraft.

"Modern Tanks" - Collins/Jane's. Again, similar to above, this time on tanks. Not really "modern" because it still features some WW2 relics like the M4 Sherman, M8 Greyhound, and T-34/85 - the fact they were mentioned in this book means that they're still being used by some armies out there.

"Red Phoenix" - Larry Bond. Anyone who is familiar with the computer game "Harpoon" and the book "Red Storm Rising" might be familiar with Larry Bond. Larry Bond collaborated with TC in "Red Storm Rising." "Red Phoenix" is the Korean War version of RSR. Very entertaining read, the tanks used here are still M60 MBTs. A fun book to read, and ranks right up there with RSR. Actually, in describing the effects of a battle on the individual, IMO "Red Phoenix" does this better than RSR. Because I have a very vivid imagination, I can't help feeling the impact of North Korean heavy artillery as I read the book.

"T-80U" - Steven Zaloga. Published by Concord. This picture-reference book on the T-80U (and its variants) and T-80UD has chockful of pictures which would make a nice reference for modellers building the Dragon's T-80UD.

"M1A1/M1A2 Abrams" - Concord. Same as above, this time on the Abrams series.

"Challenger I/II" - Concord. Same as above, this time on the Challenger I and II.

"Leopard 2" - Concord. Same as above, this time on the Leopard 2 (Leo2, 2A4, 2A5, Strv122, Euro-Leopard A2).

Clancy's Jack Ryan series - from "Patriot Games" to the latest "The Teeth of the Tiger", including "Without Remorse," "Rainbow Six," and "Red Storm Rising."

"King Rat" - James Clavell. This novel is all about American and British POWs in Singapore's Changi POW camp, particulary that of a wily American and a British POW. There's an old black-and-white movie that does very good justice to the book. This novel (fiction) is a must-read, and the movie a must-watch.

Finally, I have several magazines on military aviation, military history, and the like, lying around somewhere in my room.

So far, that is all I have found lying in my shelves (except the "Ghost Soldiers" which I remember lending to my dad but now it's MISSING - time to pray to Saint Anthony of Padua!).

What's in your list?

EDIT: I forgot to mention my 3 other books I got from the recent Bookfair - "Battle of the Bulge" by MacDonald, "By Tank Into Normandy" by Hills, and "Face of Command" (I think that's the title) by Sir Keegan.

EDIT (21 August 2004):

NEW ADDITIONS -

"Atlas of Russian History" by Martin Gilbert - maps on significant events in Russian history, from Roman (or pre-Roman) Empire times, to modern (circa-1998 or 2000AD) times

"At War At Sea - Sailors and Naval Combat in the 20th Century" by Ronald Spector - covers 20th century naval developments and warfare. Some battles focused were the Battle of Tsushima Strait, Jutland, a bit of Midway, and the Iran-Iraq "tanker wars".

"Lee v McClellan - The First Campaign" by Clayton R. Newell - American Civil War history book covering the early parts of the US Civil War, particularly the initial campaign in Virginia.

"Righteous Deception - German Officers Against Hitler" by David Alan Johnson - about German intelligence officers - particularly the actions of Admiral Canaris of Abwher, and Col. Alexis von Roenne of Fremde Heere West, in deceiving Hitler and Nazi Germany of Operation Overlord, as well as deception operations before and during Overlord by the Allies.

"The Great Raid of Cabanatuan - Rescuing the Doomed Ghosts of Bataan and Corregidor" by William R. Breuer - similar to "Ghost Soldiers". Haven't read this yet.

"The Deceivers - Allied Military Deception in the Second World War" by Thaddeus Holt - all about Allied deception and intelligence/counter-intel operations during WW2.

"History of the World's Warships" by Christopher Chant - from ancient warships, but mostly on modern ones (i.e. from 1900s to current).

"Nuclear North Korea - A Debate on Engagement Strategies" by Victor D. Cha and David C. Kang - Haven't read this yet. Copyright says 2003.

And finally...

"Leave No Man Behind - Liberation and Capture Missions" by David C. Isby - I just CANNOT recommend this book HIGHLY enough. Focuses on American Special Operations from WW2 to the current Iraq War. Isby is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review. The book is divided into chapters on special operations involving liberation or capture missions, from the Los Banos raid of WW2, thru the Sukchon-Suchon POW/Capture operation in North Korea during the Korean War, Son Tay raid in Vietnam, Mayaguez incident in SE Asia, Desert One in Iran, Grenada, Panama, Mogadishu, to the capture of Saddam. Very recent book (published this year), I HIGHLY recommend it to those who are big fans of, or just want to know more of, special operations. Well written, with some subtle humor (such as why PFC Lynch was better for the American psyche as opposed to "professional, not young or pretty, male prisoners"), and details on command-and-control and other stuff. Got this at National Bookstore.
jomz
Visit this Community
entire network: 543 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 03:19 AM UTC
Not really that much of a military-book collector, I'm more of the Gen-X fiction, and a lot of Grisham books.

I have:

Flags of Our Fathers - James Bradley
Closer than Brothers - Alfred McCoy (my Lolo and his time during the war was supposedly interviewed for the book, still haven't had myself to go thru it though)
We Were Soldiers Once...and Young
Black Hawk Down
Ghost Soldiers - Hampton Sides
The Rape of Nanking
Platoon (although this does border more on being fiction, right?)
Band of Brothers

My dad is the Clancy fanatic, so I only have one of his books: Rainbow Six. Ding Chavez, 'nuff said. I recently got him Shadow Warriors by Clancy, too. Scanned thru some plages, and it reads pretty good.

I have another book of Mark Bowden (the writer of Black Hawk Down), it's entitled Killing Pablo. Deals more with Spec-Ops and their hands in putting down Cuban Druglord: Pablo Escobar, enjoyed reading this a lot.

Plus I have another Bowden book: D-Day, it borders more on being a coffee-table book actually, lots of interesting stuff.

I have also, "Great Battles of World War II", which documents from Pearl Harbord, D-Day, Liberation of the Philippines to Iwo Jima. Another coffee table book I got for, oh Php 350!!! One great buy, IMO.

Lastly, I have Weapons and Warfare AI/AMX. Got this off an auction for a cheap price, less than 150 ata, it's supposed to be a part of an encyclopedia set -- hence: AI/AMX. Hehe!

My Lolo has a lot of Military Books in his shelves, most of them I last recalled dealt with local conflicts, liberations and whatnot. I even got to find an authentic Army Workout Book! Hehe!

jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 07:01 PM UTC
Some books that I found today on the shelves:

Jungle Patrol - The Story of the Philippine Constabulary
Liberation of the Ilocos vol.1 - Historic Documents of WWII
lonewolf
Visit this Community
entire network: 478 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 07:38 PM UTC
I have nothing on my shelves...But about that Moro thing, I've read an article on PDI about an American General (not sure w/ the name....But he's AKA 'BLACK JACK') who commited attrocities against the Moros back in the early 1900's. Of course, Krises and Blades were nothing compared to ranged weapons... May nakasulat pa nga dun : "Today, a Moro has three guns in his arsenal: A sidearm, an M-14 and the latest firearm." I duno kung totoo....
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 07:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

"Today, a Moro has three guns in his arsenal: A sidearm, an M-14 and the latest firearm."

Don't forget the RPG-7, 90mm recoilless rifle, and a palitk to boot!

Jomz: Those 2 additional books you posted are very interesting. I reckon there may yet be more hidden treasure lurking in ye shelves.
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 07:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jomz: Those 2 additional books you posted are very interesting. I reckon there may yet be more hidden treasure lurking in ye shelves.

I think so too, but the shelves are ultra dusty, now. Will post further books, once I get time to write down notable titles.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 12:08 AM UTC
How 'bout the other books and reading material you guys have? I reckon Cris has a large collection of sports cars magazines, while Jeep has a life-time subscription of FHM (hehehehe)

I have a big pile of National Geographics - some inherited, others I bought, the rest came via subscription.

My law books - small collection really

Time Magazines - since 1997 pa ata yun na sa room ko.

Various books from Reader's Digest.

Does anyone here collect a particular type of book, say, sports, or horticultures, or antique books?
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 02:30 AM UTC
I have my fair share of FHM magazines, I've only missed the ones from the past few months. This month's issue/s is a great example of a great sales pitch. One issue, with 4 types of covers. Haha!

I was born into a family of book-worms, so it was pretty inevitable to become one. National Geographic was a joy to read until their subscription rates got pretty high, Readers Digest, too was a normal pick-up inside our bathroom. We had a subscription to Newsweek and Asiaweek before, also Time, but then their subscription rates increased -- plus Newsweek started to become Anti-Asian, so the subscriptions were dropped. My folks settle for buying individual issues, whenever one is really that interesting.

I collect books by author. I have most of Mario Puzo's books, and one rare book of his -- a journal towards the completion of The Godfather. I'm a big Gen-X fiction fan, too. I've my fair share of Irvine Welsh books (Trainspotting, Acid House, etc.), Douglas Coupland is also another Gen-X author I've devoured thru the years. I've a soft spot for anything Kurt Vonnegut, after Slaughterhouse 5, it was history for Kurt and me. Plus I've been recently collecting Grisham books, and my mom's been bringin home some Jeffrey Archer novels, too. Oh yeah, almost forgot Chuck Palahniuk -- another Gen-X author. Plus Mchael Chabon, is an interesting author to read on.

I've been an avid comic-collector for over a year already, re-lived my passion for the hobby a year back since smelling the stuff DC had up their sleeves, there's been no turning back. Plus Tradepaperbacks are released almost every three-months, so collecting the singles isn't really an obligation, unless you're after being rich someday. Skeptical about comics being "deep-reading"? Read Alan Moore, plus there's Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison, and the list goes on...

I've to get rid of my books! Hehe! They're cramping up my room, and collecting dust, too!
lonewolf
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 09:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How 'bout the other books and reading material you guys have? I reckon Cris has a large collection of sports cars magazines, while Jeep has a life-time subscription of FHM (hehehehe)

I have a big pile of National Geographics - some inherited, others I bought, the rest came via subscription.

My law books - small collection really

Time Magazines - since 1997 pa ata yun na sa room ko.

Various books from Reader's Digest.

Does anyone here collect a particular type of book, say, sports, or horticultures, or antique books?

Ako, a few volumes of some comics, a few animè magazines at isang issue ng "Model Railroader" (bakit ko nga ba binili yun??)

Dito sa office ni erpat, ang daming books...(50++ na "SUPREME COURT ADVANCED DECISIONS" at kung ano-anong "RULES OF COURT", "LEGAL FORMS" at kung ano-ano pang mga libro. Not to mention his issues of "LAW"...

lonewolf
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 01:14 AM UTC
I've seen this book on POWERBOOKS in Alabang Town Center.

Titled "The World At War, 1913-1945" (*or something like that, can't remember exactly...)

Astig cya... As in yung world war 2 talaga....

Gusto ko sana bilhin , kso... (*read : insufficient funds)

It's really nice....Ang daming pictures, at mga illustrations..(Parts of a German U-boat)

Then may article dun....Yung mga tao, sinusukatan ng ilong....Aryan standards daw...Kung hnde ka pumasa, papatayin ka?!

Then yung mga babae, binubuntis....Ewan.,..Mass produstion cguro...

Cool Book....Meron pang picture w/ caption:

"A Sherman tank busts the walls of Fort Santiago" at "A Filipino Soldier fighting for Manila" (naka Cal. 30 Machine Gun yung pinoy,.....^___^)
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 03:00 AM UTC
I was at Fully Booked recently, and they've got a pretty extensive Military Section -- plus some of their coffee table books on Military subjects, are pretty informative. I also chanced on spotting a small book entirely about Camo-patterns from the first world war, to the recent camo patterns in use today.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 03:18 AM UTC
Meron bang book related to Operation Desert Storm? I mean yung mga participating units, kung ilan per mission and the war plans? I need some for reference.

I also wanted to buy the book about military airplanes (forgot the name) from WWI to present. I've scanned this book once and I find it really interesting.

I'm also finding/collecting books/mags about weathering a model which I really suck at and also looking for scratchbuilding ones.

For other kind of books, I buy books such as Autocad, C+, C++, C#, MAYA, Java and Dreamweaver.

(*looks at wallet) Darn! No cash to buy 'em all!
lonewolf
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 01:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've seen this book on POWERBOOKS in Alabang Town Center.

Titled "The World At War, 1913-1945" (*or something like that, can't remember exactly...)

Astig cya... As in yung world war 2 talaga....

Gusto ko sana bilhin , kso... (*read : insufficient funds)

It's really nice....Ang daming pictures, at mga illustrations..(Parts of a German U-boat)

Then may article dun....Yung mga tao, sinusukatan ng ilong....Aryan standards daw...Kung hnde ka pumasa, papatayin ka?!

Then yung mga babae, binubuntis....Ewan.,..Mass produstion cguro...

Cool Book....Meron pang picture w/ caption:

"A Sherman tank busts the walls of Fort Santiago" at "A Filipino Soldier fighting for Manila" (naka Cal. 30 Machine Gun yung pinoy,.....^___^)

Gomen! Sorry! Went back to PowerBooks Alabang to check again on the book...Its "World at War 1939-1945" pala...^____^ Sorry! (*No wonder wala akong nakikitang WW1 stuff dun....XP)

I saw another book...It's titled something like "Jane's Guide to armor recognition" (or something like that....Can't really rely heavily on my memory...) It's got a lot of illustrations and pics, some specs and other stuff about modern armor...There's a guide for ships and aircraft, too...

And yet another book : "A guide to weaponry" (again, or something like that....My brain cells are depleted!) Which has an elaborate and complete illustrations and even explains how weapons work....As in halos lahat, nandun. Parang evolution of weaponry. Simula dun sa mga hand cannons, mga early tanks, WW1, WW2, NBC's, etc.! (meron pa ngang explaination kung bakit hnde hinahawakan ang Sten Mk II sa magazine kapag bumabaril...) Cool.....*drool...
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 03:11 AM UTC
The Jane's books are IIRC, very technical IMO. They make very technical simulators, too! Hehe!
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 03:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Jane's books are IIRC, very technical IMO. They make very technical simulators, too! Hehe!

Oh yeah, I have heard about Jane's works. BTW, where can I find this game? Recommended SIM daw sya eh.
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh yeah, I have heard about Jane's works. BTW, where can I find this game? Recommended SIM daw sya eh.

Any w@rez monkey carries these, hehe! But seriously, IIRC the Data Blitz in Festival ata has one. I don't really dig the Janes line of sims, since they're, well, too technical for me. I'd rather spend more time blowing things up, or go somewhere with my ship/plane/sub than spend half the time on the manual. (:-)
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 07:52 PM UTC
Jomz: Where, pray tell, is this "Fully Booked" again? I'm very interested in their military selection. Expensive Military Books = Damn High Quality Ones Which You Get Your Money's Worth! :-)

Don't forget BookSale. The one at SouthMall has a wonderful military collection. They have a book on Adolf Hitler (big book), and a 10-volume collection of World War II - which just costs P8,000 (and ONLY JUST P8,000 because these are BIG BIG BIG books. The whole jambalaya is JUST P8,000!)

And there's a 2-volume set of Shakespear's complete works - BIG BIG BIG books, wonderfully bound, and good condition - FOR JUST P1,200 TOTAL!
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
entire network: 292 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 09:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Any w@rez monkey carries these, hehe! But seriously, IIRC the Data Blitz in Festival ata has one. I don't really dig the Janes line of sims, since they're, well, too technical for me. I'd rather spend more time blowing things up, or go somewhere with my ship/plane/sub than spend half the time on the manual. (:-)

I had Jane's F-15E simulation for the past 5 years and it is the BEST damn fighter-bomber sim I've ever played with. It does have an option of beginner to expert controls (the nerd in me made me choose expert) and it was a lot of fun.

Great sim really, though rather boring for many (it doesn't have an accelerated time setting on the ingress/egress part), ergo, you really DO have to fly the aircraft to the targets even if it takes 20 minutes (sometimes it takes as much as 30-40) to get there. It's not really frustrating though. If you veer out of your flight path and run across SAM sites it becomes a little more interesting

Best results with a full flight (6 aircraft), at night. All details are included, including the LANTIRN videos of smart bombs dropping into the targets, ala-CNN. Fortunately, you can choose targets while Paused because you're doing the job of two pilots (that of the driver and the WSO). Very realistic (a bit too realistic for many), including inflight refuelling (which I don't do, I opt for autopilot on that coz it's as difficult as the realthing), AWACS support, JSTARS redirects, etc.

It made me understand why the F-15E was such a badass fighter bomber.

Too bad it doesn't work with Windows 2000. The version I have only worked for Windows 95/98. Worked best with my Microsoft Sidewinder
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
entire network: 292 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 10:10 PM UTC
Oh yes, I forgot to post about which books I have.

How They Work: Harrier Jump Jet - Frank Vann, Brian Trodd Publishing, - A kid's book actually, it does have a lot of interesting Harrier pics, from the GR1 to pre-Gulf War AV-8B

Tom Clancy:
Hunt for the Red October
Patriot Games
Red Storm Rising
The Cardinal of the Kremlin
Clear and Present Danger
Without Remorse
The Sum of All Fears
Debt of Honor
Executive Orders
Rainbow Six
The Bear and The Dragon

I'll be buying "The Red Rabbit" soon. I would have to wait for the paperback of "Teeth of the Tiger" next year.

I might also buy SSN. Interesting how USS Greenville, in all respects, violates Philippine sovereignty by snaking around Palawan and Mindoro then to Subic, and launches Tomahawk cruise missiles that go from the Celebes Sea, streaks along Palawan, and heads towards the Spratlys. #:-)
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 10:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I might also buy SSN. Interesting how USS Greenville, in all respects, violates Philippine sovereignty by snaking around Palawan and Mindoro then to Subic, and launches Tomahawk cruise missiles that go from the Celebes Sea, streaks along Palawan, and heads towards the Spratlys. #:-)

What's more interesting that it took out practically the whole Chinese fleet single-handedly. Yeah, it was a fun book but in hindsight, it's just plain... stupid. Stupid but fun. And I enjoyed it. #:-) Enjoyed so much that a college comrade of mine and I would play as sub crewmen in the DLSU library (e.g. I raise up my head and say "Up Scope! Target spotted bearing 021 degrees, at 5 knots!" after seeing a pretty chinita, then he'd raise his head and concur. Or, play a sub stalking game where one of us walks around, not knowing that the other is following silently until "active sonar" - a strong, sharp, short whistle - is activated. OR when we're just bored, we'd play sub war games, such as out of the blue, one of us says "Conn, Sonar! Target bearing 223, moving at 5 knots!" then one of us answers "Sonar, Conn, what is it?" "Sounds like an Akula at around 4300 meters at the port bow." "Depth?" "Looks like she's below the layer." "Weps, Conn, do you have a firing solution for me?" "Conn, Weps, aye sir, weapons solution is set." "Open tubes 1 and 3" "Aye sir tubes 1 and 3 open sir" "Fire tubes 1 and 3 electrically." "Tubes 1 and 3 firing electrically, aye sir! Fish are now in the water." "Cut wires, make your depth 400 meters." And so on and so forth. Yeah, you guessed right guys. I'm a retard. hehehehe)

BTW, IIRC it didn't "violate" sovereignty and IIRC it docked at Subic (there was a reference to Subic being in a "depressing state" with the facilities "rotting" - or something to that effect - apparently Clany was rambling like an old man hehehehehe)

BTW, on Janes books (can't recall if I posted this in my initial post - plus I'm too lazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy to check hehehehe)...

What you apparently saw SR was just the Recognition Guide Books series. They give a few pix of the subject vehicle, a little data sheet, and some factoids. Nice book to have as reference, but I still prefer their big, expensive, chock-full-of-data-and-pictures books - which, sadly, looks not to be available here - unless Goodwill is hiding a stash of them in some branch. I got the AFV recognition guide book (2001 edition) and the Naval craft recognition book. The latter is "special" to me because it has autographs from foreign naval personnel who come to visit and dock at South Harbor's Pier 13 or Pier 15 at Manila. Whenever I read in the papers that a foreign ship has docked at Manila, I normally make plans to visit it the following day during lunch time. On D-Day, I'd be walking normally under the hot noontime sun at the pier, not minding the little sorry-looking-piece-of-shack-standing-in-as-a-checkpoint and continuing with book and camera in hand. So far, ships I've visited close-up are:

HMS Nottingham (Duke Class FFG of the RN - touched the hull)
HMS Invincible (damn whopping big CV! - touched the hull and climbed up the ramp but did not get onboard)
A Japanese diesel sub (off-limits to board, but was just a stone's throw away)
A Japanese frigate (went on-board, got pix, touched torpedo tubes, ASROC launcher, 3-inch gun)
A Japanese destroyer (same as above)
HMAS Canberra (I think) and a sister ship (of the Oliver Hazard Perry Class FF I think - touched the hull)
La Fayette (French FFG - close but not close enough to touch the hull)

I couldn't get quite close to the USS Blue Ridge (9/11 already happened when she was in port) and USS Tarawa or USS Essex (again, post-9/11) but I did visit South Harbor when they were there and took some photos (for the last), not just close enough to touch the hulls (unlike the list above).

Now, I noticed no foreign warships have docked at South Harbor (the US Embassy might've read my email, SMS, and posts at TankNet and informed her allies about me - they might've suspected me as a member of AQ's Singapore Ring hehehehe #:-) ) and almost all USN ships go to Subic nowadays.
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 11:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jomz: Where, pray tell, is this "Fully Booked" again? I'm very interested in their military selection. Expensive Military Books = Damn High Quality Ones Which You Get Your Money's Worth! :-)

Don't forget BookSale. The one at SouthMall has a wonderful military collection. They have a book on Adolf Hitler (big book), and a 10-volume collection of World War II - which just costs P8,000 (and ONLY JUST P8,000 because these are BIG BIG BIG books. The whole jambalaya is JUST P8,000!)

And there's a 2-volume set of Shakespear's complete works - BIG BIG BIG books, wonderfully bound, and good condition - FOR JUST P1,200 TOTAL!

Wow! We're all awfully active, and with the book thread, too! Hehe!

GI

Fully Booked used to be "Page One" at the Rockwell Power Plant, I'm sure you know where this is -- having that you used to study at Admu Law, right? But nonetheless, it's right next to the Swatch Shop, or the Levi's shop, I'm not really sure. You won't miss the place. I go there to marvel at their wonderfully stocked, and priced comics-section.

Why not check out www.avalon.ph ? It's got its fair share of Military and Literature books! Plus there's always Libris books, sa may BF right?

Oh, SR ayan, si LJ's giving out some first-hand Janes-sim experience. I was able to try out a flight-sim recently, one called: IL2 Sturmovik, I really don't remember which planes were available for one to peruse thru, but they were pretty old planes, IIRC.

shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 12:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh yes, I forgot to post about which books I have.

How They Work: Harrier Jump Jet - Frank Vann, Brian Trodd Publishing, - A kid's book actually, it does have a lot of interesting Harrier pics, from the GR1 to pre-Gulf War AV-8B

Where did you get this book? How much? Naghahanap din ako ng mga Harrier only books eh. More on pics and technical info.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 02:37 PM UTC
Ah... so The Bookstore Formerly Known As Page One is now called Fully Booked. Yea, I know where it is. Last time I was there, it was still known as Page One. Thanks.
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 02:29 AM UTC
Just a head's up to AC fanatics. Saw a couple of nice issues of SAM issues, Scale Aircraft Modeler ata yung ibig sabihin -- at a magazine rack at Makati Cinema Square (MCS), they were selling for oh, around Php 100 -- Php 150 ea. You can peruse thru the books, too -- which is IMO pretty nifty. I picked up two Scale Auto Modeler magazines at Php 100 ea. Hehe!

Plus the book-set BISIGI was talking about now retails for Php 9,000! haha! nagmahal!
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 12:31 AM UTC
BTT

For LW's reference.

AND I still haven't found my "Ghost Soldiers" book...
 _GOTOTOP