_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
any good ideas for storing my paints?
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 07:26 AM UTC
Ok since I am in a new bigger work space I would like a more organized method of storing/sorting my paint jars?

For now they sit in boxes and I have to sort through my colours whenever I use them. I would like them to be within arms reach of my worktable or on my worktable if this is possible?

I can purchase something or build from plans.

Cheers, MSW

Go Leafs Go!!!
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 08:04 PM UTC
If you can get your hands on an old paint rack from a hobby shop that is either going out of business or just tossing it away, see if they will sell it to ya. One other way that may work, build up a small rack system from 1x2's and make a shelf type rack for the wall in front of ya.

That's my input.............. :-)
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 08:11 PM UTC
Here's a little something I threw together to get my paints off the desktop while I'm not working and to put everything within arms reach while I'm airbrushing. It's a plastic storage container found in the fishing section of WalMart. There are several different kinds with some smaller and others taller but I'm sure you can find one that will work for you. Their inexpensive as well at only about $2-$3 apiece so easy on the wallet too. Here it is:
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 08:15 PM UTC
Man, Bryan. That's cool when you go on vacation too. Tag a model or two along for the long car ride..
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 08:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Man, Bryan. That's cool when you go on vacation too. Tag a model or two along for the long car ride..

I thought about that. :-) The wife might not appreciate that though...lol!
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 10:56 PM UTC
Wow, I cut myself every now and then with the exacto blade, but I don't think I'd ever need a box of bandaids in my paint bin! :-)

. . .or does that Curad box serve some other purpose?

-Paul
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 11:28 PM UTC
Bryan, you're a man after my own heart. I, too, use a tackle box to store my paints. My only addition to your set-up would be that I take those small sticky "dots" or labels you find in Office Max or such. I write the color of the paint on it and stick it on top of the bottle. My tackle box is a little bigger, so helps me find what I need more quickly.

Mike

Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 12:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, I cut myself every now and then with the exacto blade, but I don't think I'd ever need a box of bandaids in my paint bin! :-)

-Paul

Actually, that's a roll of gauze used to make camo netting. I keep the box of band aids in a nearby desk drawer. :-)
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 12:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My only addition to your set-up would be that I take those small sticky "dots" or labels you find in Office Max or such. I write the color of the paint on it and stick it on top of the bottle. My tackle box is a little bigger, so helps me find what I need more quickly.

Mike

Hi Mike ! - I also use the sticky dot's - I wrote up a section on it in the Tips section
of Armorama.
Billy - I can also suggest that what I did, was built my own paint rack that
I have mounted on the wall to the left of my work table, at arms reach.
I went to Home Depot, and spent $15 on a sheet of ply-wood & some decorative
wood molding strip's and thin planks. The rack can store over 100 containers of
various paints The nice thing about building your own rack, is that you can
custom build it to fit your own personnal storage needs

- ralph
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 12:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, I cut myself every now and then with the exacto blade, but I don't think I'd ever need a box of bandaids in my paint bin!

-Paul

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, that's a roll of gauze used to make camo netting. I keep the box of band aids in a nearby desk drawer.

LOL! Of course, that makes sense.

-Paul
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 12:59 AM UTC
I use a wooden utensil tray, standing up. It's kinda like a spice rack. $2-$3
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 382 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 03:45 AM UTC
All, good ideas. It never stops amazing me how many different but perfectly good solutions this group comes up with.

Does anyone else store their paints on the lids? It seems to me that they last longer that way. I also know immediately if the paint is completely mixed, because the pigments settle to the lid and I can see if it is still there when I open the bottle.

I also put BBs in my paint bottles to help mix them (4 or 5 in the larger MM-type bottles, 3 in the Testors-type bottles). Seems to work pretty well. Anyone else do that?
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 04:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tag a model or two along for the long car ride...

I have a TDY (temporary duty) model case and pre-designate a couple of TDY kits to take along while I'm away from home. I do simpler kits like the Tamiya M41 OOB or I have taken some of the ProFinish (pre-painted/marked) kits along. It helps pass the time while sitting in a hotel room watching HBO. Great for getting over modeler's block or AMS, especially when you build something not in your usual genre (AMT or Revell-Monogram car kits are great for this). I've got one of those Testors acrylic paint sets in my little tackle box. Sometimes I'll bring a spray can of OD green if doing a tank.

I learned this from my 3 years travelling around for First Army evaluating Reserve and National Guard units every summer while they did their annual training. Now with the restrictions on what you can fly with, I'll have to adjust what I take in my luggage. Good thing my next long-term TDY trip (118 days) will be by car. That way I can take what I want.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 04:29 AM UTC
I use a plastic three drawer stackable for my paints that I got from Target. Fits all my paints nicely right in front of me on the desk. I also use the little round labels for each jar.
Arengca, I like the idea of using BBs in the jars. I haven't tried the upside-down storage though.
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 382 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 07:16 AM UTC
Sabot, I do the TDY kit thing too. I used to travel a lot for a job I had, and it really helped to have something for my sanity. I also found that (except for the supplies I 'really needed') I didn't spend nearly as much money on food and entertainment. I used to put all of my "not allowed" items in my luggage, and never had any problems. I would put the nasty stuff (glues, cements) into two ziplock freezer bags for safety (so they don't get all over my other stuff). I often carried the kit itself onto the plane in a shopping bag.

At the moment I am trying to figure out how to get my stuff to Kosovo, if I go. Uncle has decided that I am an 'alternate' for the deployment (I just found out a couple days ago, after being told I wasn't going 6 weeks ago). That means I have to do everything up through 2 weeks at mob station (Ft. McCoy), and they'll let me know if I go while we are there. Kinda sucks, because I can't even tell my boss if I'll be around after July 19th. My wife is really thrilled. I haven't been mad at the Army for a really long time, but this time I am steamed.

Anyway, I am thinking I may set up a couple of parcels with essentials here, and have my wife send them to me once I am there. Then, I'll just order whatever else I need, and any kits, off of the 'net. I'll figure out a way to ship it all back before I leave. Any advice about this little plan?
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 01:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone else store their paints on the lids? I also put BBs in my paint bottles to help mix them (4 or 5 in the larger MM-type bottles, 3 in the Testors-type bottles). Seems to work pretty well. Anyone else do that?

I do both but I noticed the bb's are reacting with my acrylic paint. I guess they a rusting?!?

MSW

Go Leafs Go!
Tiger1
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 171 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 01:57 AM UTC
I used to keep my paints in organizer racks that I bought at Home Depot. I recently made a rack that holds my Tamiya and Vallejo Acrylic's, as well as for my Humbrol and Model Masters Enamels. I took dimensions from the manufacturers racks at my local hobby shop. It is a great space saver I can tell you that. :-)
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 335 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 02:52 AM UTC
Heres an idea i want to use, and its kind of decorative too. If theres an army surpluss store anywhere around where you live you can get some 50cal, or 30cal ammo cans and put the paints in there. The only bad thing is that you wont know one paint from the other so you could put some masking tape on top and wright the color on top or put a dab of paint on the paint on the paint bottle. hope this helps,

Mike
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 03:18 AM UTC
I bought myself a an office setup of four drawers and a open large section on the the bottom that has a toll top desk stlye front. top twop drawers hold paints upside down in four sections(Tamiya, Polly s, Model master andGunze) next drawer holds general tools,building suppplies(putty,clamps,AB epoxy, rulesect.). Last drawer holds all my sizes of plastic rod and strip. I keep shallow tackle type boxes with spare parts in the large section on the bottom as wellas bases,sculpy, styrofoam and a roll of aluminium for tarps and flags. got the whole rig on wheels so I can move it. top has belt/disc sander on top. :-) :-) :-)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 08:50 AM UTC
For my work top I have a large shelf or door I bought for next to nothing in my local DIY shop. At work I salvaged 2 old drawers from thrown out cabinets and I fixed them under the shelf/door. This means that I have even more room in front of me to see things that are worth seeing.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 11:56 AM UTC
I know about the TDY kit, Sabot. I packed off a couple models, some paint, the tool box, etc. to Fort Meade last summer for 2 1/2 months. Ran into a captain in my class who had just started building figures (mostly gaming figures, but a few larger pieces, too)and spent more time tutoring him than working on my own stuff :-)

About storing paints: I like tackle boxes -- designed for storing fishing gear but many other uses. I have one box for my enamels and oils and another for my acrylics and watercolors. When I didn't have as many paints, I used a two-tier lazy-susan with enamels on the bottom and acryls on top.

For storing brushes, I use a two-tier thing called a Multi-Bin made by Loew-Cornell. It is round, has a pierced grid for the top and a corresponding grid with a floor for the bottom. I also store small tools in this, like files, sanding sticks, small rulers, nail clippers, scribers, etc. It's round and easy to find stuff, though it does take up a spot of desktop. For larger tools that I like to keep handy, I lay in foam meat trays (which are also handy for holding works on the bench, parts, using to build groundwork and buildings ...)
 _GOTOTOP