_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Testers needed for new PhotoPost system
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 12:30 PM UTC
Okay...so I am kind of hiding this topic away in hopes of a limited readership. I need some users to test and use the new PhotoPost system and respond if they run into "issues". If you would like to be a tester please direct your browser here:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/photos/

First off you should still be logged in (if you are logged in now). If not and you can do anything (like post photos or comments) then let me know. We can use this topic as a sounding board for this testing.

I think that anything you upload at this point will stay in the database and in your member directory, so post away. I still need to work out some final details (like the header and the member upgrade request forms) but otherwise it should work fairly well. If not...well that's what you need to let me know.

Thanks,
Jim

Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 01:53 PM UTC
It seems to work just fine so far Jim, although I only uploaded one pic.
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 02:43 PM UTC
Jim, very, very slick.

I posted a few images and played around a little. The whole process is easy to work through. I like the watermark it places on the images. I also tested successfully the ability to download a zip file of the images in your favorites folder. The slideshow option is pretty awesome as well.

One problem I did note was the Receive Email Updates link. Upon clicking it, you are taken to a comment screen where you add comments. I filled in comments and got the following error, "You did not fill in the comments or rating field." There isn't a rating field on the page. I assumed the Receive Email Updates meant that I would get an email when posts are made about any of my pics but I may be wrong and I could just be screwing something up...lol!

Also, I couldn't delete any photos from my member area. It told me I didn't have permission for this action.

One other thing, under our member name it has our date registered. Mine is 1/1/70. I wasn't even born yet...lol!

Also like the report function too.
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 02:54 PM UTC
I did another test. I tried linking a picture on my personal website to a picture in my personal gallery here at Armorama. It worked fine and the watermark went with it. Here's the link:

http://members.cox.net/swo-man/

This brings up a question that may be better asked in private. Group staff email inbound.
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 05:41 PM UTC
Jim - Well I guess I broke it.
1. I attempted to upload several pics some oversize.
2. Got message of oversize files
*** Need a way to Cancel / Purge Edit List at this point IMO.***
3. Exited process, went back in via link , all unprocesses pics still in list
4. Selected only one pic to upload (Add) 22K
5. Process went on for over 10 minutes and didn't finish upload, lost server connection.
6. Closed internet connection
7. Reestablished connection
8. Went back to process via link, Pics still in list.
*** If speed of processing observed is normal too slow for Dial Up access IMO ***
9. Logged out cleared cookies logged back in Unprocesses Pics still in list.

Chuck
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 07:10 PM UTC
Jim,
six pics loaded without any problem. Quite fast too. The interface is intuitive and simple to be used...
Another great feature is going to take off! Thanks a lot
Ciao
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 06:50 AM UTC
Thanks for the feedback guys. I will work on some of those issues this week.

Chuck - What size image were you trying to upload? Can you email me the image? - Thanks.

I also changed the topic title as it appears it was a bit too hidden. Lol.

Jim
bep
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
entire network: 566 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 08:07 AM UTC
Hello Jim,
Just uploaded 2 pictures with my 56K modem. It took about 2 minutes including typing the titles.
Very nice and very easy to use.
Great work.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 09:02 PM UTC
Chuck,
I am trying to figure out why your smaller image of the Black Widow did not post into your Member gallery. I had the same problem uploading the larger image of course (message saying file size was too large). But did you click "process photos" on that screen so that the
widow photo got added fully?

I am not sure I am going to change anything with the file size limits. It works well for the situation I think. Of course it would be better if the script calculated the size "after" it did a re-size and new compression level. But I guess that is asking too much.

Thanks,
Jim

Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 05:35 AM UTC
Jim,
Uploading went smoothly for me. I did notice the error message that tin-can describes when trying to post a comment via the link toward the top of the page. However, by scrolling below the picture, I see there's a window to add comments, and this one worked fine for me.
Another thing I wonder about is are we supposed to be able to post into the categories besides "member galleries"? If so, it would give me the option in the dropdown menu after clicking "upload images".
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 06:16 AM UTC
Looks real good to me Jim. I wasn't able to post any pictures, but I think I know why. I'm going to play with it some more later, I'm sure I can figure it out.

Thanks again for all your hard work. This should be just another great addition to a allready great site.

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 07:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another thing I wonder about is are we supposed to be able to post into the categories besides "member galleries"? If so, it would give me the option in the dropdown menu after clicking "upload images".

I think you need to either create the sub-category in your member area first (so it's available on the list). Or once you have uploaded them you can create a sub-category and then move the images to them. The process to do this is a bit hidden (same process to delete an image). I think you click the photo and then click the EDIT text. The next screen has options to move and delete.

Jim
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 08:21 AM UTC
It WORKED!

I stumbled in here after replying to someone's post about EXCEEDING RESOURCE LIMITS on MSN which happened to me as well.

THIS IS GREAT! Easy to use, seems to compress files nicely (cut mine by 66%) and was quick and painless!

If only the rest of the world worked as well and was as responsive to its' audience as ARMORAMA is!

Great job STAFF!!

Jim/ Jaster
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 08:36 AM UTC
Jim, I see you've already made changes to the photopost.

To comment on some of my earlier comments. I was now able to successfully delete a photo.

I like how you added the "Move Photo To" drop box on the pic preview page. At least I think that's an addition.

Another question. When adding keywords to the pics, do the words need to be seperated by a comma, colon or space?
slodder
Visit this Community
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 08:56 AM UTC
I logged in and did a bit of testing. Tried multiple file uploads, some bigger than the limit (to test the size restriction - it worked). The comment processing for the upload was successful. I created a sub folder and it worked ok too.
I didn't find anything wrong or have any problems.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 10:48 AM UTC
Hi Jim. I loaded up 5 photos and was very impressed at the speed and the loayout of the whole system. Very easy to use as well which is a bonus from my behalf. Before i submitted the photographs for the first time I filled in the comments field for the first pic, but when looking through this has not been installed. Do you have to write it up when viewing later as there is a field to do this when viewing your own page?
Small details...... but this is great. Can we link to our mails as we do today?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 11:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jim. I loaded up 5 photos and was very impressed at the speed and the loayout of the whole system. Very easy to use as well which is a bonus from my behalf. Before i submitted the photographs for the first time I filled in the comments field for the first pic, but when looking through this has not been installed. Do you have to write it up when viewing later as there is a field to do this when viewing your own page?
Small details...... but this is great. Can we link to our mails as we do today?

Hmm...by the comments field I assume you mean to create a post under the image? I see one comment by you on your first image. Is that it? Comments and images are uploaded without going thru any approval process (but the option is there should we need it in future - hopefully not).

Also each image has a "profile" link which goes back to your user profile page. And I see you have your email public (viewable by members only) so that would work.

Cheers,
Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 11:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I like how you added the "Move Photo To" drop box on the pic preview page. At least I think that's an addition.

Another question. When adding keywords to the pics, do the words need to be seperated by a comma, colon or space?

Bryan,
I actually haven't been making much in the way of code changes. Just configuration and layout changes so far (not counting the cookie/user login hacks). I would like to keep it that way as well to allow us to upgrade the program when needed. Too many security issues pop up with these types of scripts and you need to be able to keep up with the new security threats.

I am not sure on the keyword question. I would assume that commas or not it will work the same. That is to say the keyword is only that.... a single word. I doubt they have phrase ability.

Cheers,
Jim
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 11:45 AM UTC
THIS feature is a great addition to an already GREAT site!

THANKS!

Jim/ Jaster
slodder
Visit this Community
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 01:09 PM UTC
One thing I've noticed was that my gallery view 2 rows of cells leaves the last two cells empty. I can go to page 2 and see the rest, it's just cosmetically not 100% there.
IMHO:Bug - yes(?), Prioriy - Low, Affect - Cosmetic Only
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 04:12 PM UTC
Its' late and I suppose I may have missed something, but...

A fair number of the pics do not have the watermark on them. I know the image I posted did not.

Bug or not- unsure, but I see some of the pics do have the watermark.

Jim/ Jaster
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 04:49 PM UTC
Jim, I put a few in and they seem to be working fine, although the first few I put in come out smaller in the gallery than on my computer, I probably am just doing something wrong.

Rob
mavrick1124
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 188 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 05:25 PM UTC
Got a lesson on resizing my photos . It works great. Pleasure not having to go back and forth to MSN to post quick photos. Thank you Jim
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 06:39 PM UTC
Uploaded a pic with no problems. User interface is intuitive. Navigation is easy. One fine piece of software you got there Jim
 _GOTOTOP