_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Balsa Foam
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 03:48 PM UTC
Hey all you scratch-heads... I have a new product. We just became dealers for Balsa foam.. the stuff I use by the truckload to create all the masters for the molds and kits we sell. This stuff "carves, shaves, and sands like chalk, but doesn't burn, chip, or flake. We have to order the stuff by the case to get dealer pricing so I need to move some excess volume. We carry three sizes - 9x6 in 1/2, 1 inch, or 2 inch thicknesses. It is sold by the sheet, and prices run around $6-8 per sheet. This stuff is FANTASTIC and you will fall in love with it... forget styofoam, insulation, and other stuff... you have to try this stuff! It paints and glues like plaster, is far more sturdy than styrofoam or foamcore, and doesn't disolve with oil, resin, lacquer, or other materials... and no - it is not toxic (although the ultra-fine dust can be a real mess and it will cause xacto blades and other metal to rust if not cleaned within 24 hours!)

Film studios use it to create miniatures (think StarWars), architects use it to make scale buildings, and car companies and manufacturing plants use it to create mockups... look on our website soon for more information, or email me at [email protected] if you want more information.

sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 04:26 PM UTC
I bought some at Pearl Art on 57th in the City - Great stuff!!

Amazing stuff!!

KF- do you carry the different densities?

Peter
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 01:54 AM UTC
DARN I need to get some of this stuff!
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 05:16 PM UTC
I stock the 12lb (medium) density in a variety of sizes... I have tried the 7lb and found it FAR too soft for most detail work, while the 20lb is a little too rigid for some of the more delicate work... as the story goes, the 12lb stuff is "just right". But I can order whatever you want in Carton quanties... runs about $50-60 per carton. Is there a certain size or density you want?
AIRB842586
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 261 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2003 - 12:56 PM UTC
So it's just like a foam? How do you detail it, you just use a straightedge and a scribe, or whatever?

sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 05:13 AM UTC
it's kind of like a denser version of that green foam florists use for fake flower arrangements- but much 'finer' in holding detail.
It's amazing stuff- I freehand carved a 1/20th cinderblock for a diorama. You can use anything- It's soft enough to carve with xactos, scribes, etc, but dense enough to hold and show great detail.
It's hard to describe, but amazing stuff. Car companies like GM actually use the most dense type of balsafoam to create scale prototypes of new car models. great stuff!

Peter
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 12:11 PM UTC
I'm going home to Edmonton on leave next week. I'll get some thin stuff to play with while I'm there. I'll post the results if things work out.
jusjus80
Visit this Community
South Africa
entire network: 81 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 03:39 PM UTC
wow
jusjus80
Visit this Community
South Africa
entire network: 81 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 03:40 PM UTC
that looks brilliant i need to get some of that for myself
Michel
Visit this Community
France
entire network: 95 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 03:24 AM UTC
Is the stuff which you could find in " feather-cardboard " ( french name...Duno if it means something for US modelers ! ), sandwiched between two sheets of paper ?
If it' s what I mean ( a kind of polyurethane extruded foam...the same stuff used by florists to make flowers bouquet construction ! ), I 'll buy some by the ton...!
Listen, guys, if you' re talkin' dioramas of sheer architectural destruction, rows of ( lightweight ) ruined buildings, huge towered " Flak bunkers ", gothic cathedrals....That 's the stuff you ( and I, btw ) need ! (:-)
And you could use it to make trunks' trees ( big ol' oaks, palm trees...The lot ! Although the stronger grade ( hard one ) is better to pattern the bark...), sandbags, paved streets, rocks....
A real fine stuff, indeed...As you could understand, with this enthusiastic speech !
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2003 - 08:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DARN I need to get some of this stuff!

Let me know what you need... i have the following in stock in large quanties...

9x6x1/2 - 7.95 per sheet or $12.95 for a 2-pack
9x6x1 9.95 per seet or $16.95 per 2 pack
9x12x2 18.95 per sheet (not available in a 2-pack)

Just send me a message ([email protected]) if you want to place an order. The stuff is as light as a feather, so shipping will be minimal.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2003 - 08:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

that looks brilliant i need to get some of that for myself

Prices are above... just let me know where to ship!
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2003 - 08:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is the stuff which you could find in " feather-cardboard " ( french name...Duno if it means something for US modelers ! ), sandwiched between two sheets of paper ?

Not the same thing... what you are describing above is called "FoamCore Board" here in the US. I used to use it all the time, but now Balsa foam is all I use.
 _GOTOTOP